Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Matt P, Oct 6, 2008.

1. JebusJones

JebusJones Member

I've found that you need to make sure you open the dialler after the call has connected. Of course that's only when the number is in your phone book, if you're using the dialler to dial as well... No wait, doesn't it close when the call connects?

Either way I've noticed it too but yeah, when you open it after the call has connected it's been ok.

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Hmmmm, well I do that already.....by pressing the Dialler button after I have heard the menu options...and them press "1" but nothing happens. I tried pressing "#" after the one to send it through but again, nothing.

Why is this so difficult to do? Things like this just really p*ss me off as it's a fundamental requirement these days.

I'm sure it's something really simple. I'm just reading the manual right now and can't find anything....

EDIT: all fine. Just need to press the number button after opening dialler. For some reason the menu at the company I was dialling had me confused.....but it did work.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  3. l.lai

l.lai Member

So glad i switched to the e72, hated this phone.

Now to think about the Galaxy S or the iPhone4..

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

How long did it take people to get sent their free nokia car cradle?

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well just got an email today saying it has been dispatched and to allow one week for delivery :thumbup:

6. JebusJones

JebusJones Member

Free car cradle, que? Eh I don't even have a car so whatevs.

Do other people find that the web browser pretty much sucks a lot of the time? It tends to crash out on pages with anything complex on them (eg Masterchef web site) or it won't keep me logged in to certain sites any more (OCAU, AFL DreamTeam). Is there a way to reset just the browser?

I tried installing Opera on there but it never ever worked :(

7. juppy

juppy Member

New firmware update available for Nokia 5800.

Changes include:

•Improved Mail for Exchange
    •Improved video calls
    •Improved browser
    •Improved Performance

Just do an update OTA (I usually just connect to my wifi to do it).

8. JebusJones

JebusJones Member

I hope improved browser means it will stop fucking crashing all the time.

9. draco3

draco3 Member

I hope that this firmware doesn't brick my phone. Nokia firmware update, brick phone leads Nokia to replace brand new phone with a refurbished unit. Oh yay :sick:. Once my phone plan is up, I am switching brands and most likely going iPhone 4. Hate this phone.

10. juppy

juppy Member

For the price its a good phone, plenty of features. It is slow at times though and crashes (sometimes to the point of having to remove the battery which is insane, why they dont have a hard reset is beyond me).

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah I find it slow at times and sometimes even pressing a button on the screen does not register even though it flashes... :confused: This happened to me the yesterday when trying to cancel an alarm.

I've also had to do two hard resets with battery out thus far.

Overall I like the concept and the phone in general....but I would probably go with another phone next time.

Hopefully this update works well :thumbup:

12. draco3

draco3 Member

Unfortunately there are phones cheaper than it that don't experience the same symptoms that this has. The thing I do not like about this phone is that (like most newer Nokia's) is that the phone often will reset itself and just freeze for the sake of freezing. That is part and parcel of the Symbian OS but still, there was a call for a recall on these handsets.

13. juppy

juppy Member

My nokia 3100 from 2003 has never crashed on me.... and Im still using it today. Unfortunately though it also doesnt have a tenth of the features that the 5800 has (doesnt even have a camera). With added complexity comes added risk of crashing and slowdowns. Especially if you are working to a fairly low priced phone considering its features.

The fact that they are still providing firmware updates for this phone is a good thing though.

14. draco3

draco3 Member

I'll run the firmware update today and hopefully it breathes a bit more life into my aging handset. I will definately be getting a better smartphone once my contract ends. Only 10 months to go :upset:

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Just got the free car kit delivered, nice, very nice, especially for nada.

16. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

This phone's performance is POOR form for a nokia. Cant wait to get rid of it either after about a yr of ownership (bit under.

IF this update is good enough I might get another nokia at the least.. (After being nokia exlusive for 12yrs or so!)

Interestingly the flagship (at the time I bought it) N97 is equally as shit, since it's basically the same internally

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  17. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

What the fuck? Just got an email from Nokia saying my ComesWithMusic subscription will expire in 14 days. I bought and registered it in December 2009!!!!!!!!!!!

18. William

William Member

Hi all. Got phone recently. On holiday in hong kong using free wifi in hotel room i must say is totally awesome. Cant seem to get gps to work here... Loaaded the maps and all before heading here. Only using internal gps... Am not using sim. Changed settings and all :/ btw opera mini is good vs built in browser. Any help appreciated!

19. draco3

draco3 Member

William good luck with the phone. I hope you have better use for it that I have ever had. Browsing on these phones is useless and most of the time it will just lock on you, regardless of the browser that is being used. Regarding the GPS signal, you may need to wait for quite a while before it picks up a signal. This phone is by the 2nd worst phone I have had (the first being a Motorola flip phone).

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I did like it originally but after using it for a while now I find it laggy....way too laggy and slow. And perhaps the case is a bit too bulky also. I think there would be much better options out there.