Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Matt P, Oct 6, 2008.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

sanjay has said earlier that once you get used to the double clicking it should be faster.....but I'm not so sure :/

2. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

Its not the actually double clicking that is slow, its the actual interface itself. Like switching from different menu screens scrolling on a large list things like that. The thing seems like it lacks RAM or CPU speed or both.

3. JebusJones

JebusJones Member

Have been told that Virgin has a flyer in store that says the 5800 is due last week of Feb - teller of this tale is Canadian though and I know how vague he can be on facts.

I've been with Virgin since my first mobile so if they do have it I'll be switching from my dying 6300 straight away. Am SO sick of carrying around my massive Onda 767 MP4 player just to listen to the radio and MP3s (6300 head phone jack has screwed up on two phones now, bloody pitiful).

4. OP
    OP
    Matt P

Matt P Member

Well i hope you're not right jebus, i just ordered one today. The first phone i've paid for since 2002 hahaha (and that includes going on a plan to get one)

My n82 will probably be kept for a few weeks to make sure i like it before i give it up.

5. Finner

Finner Member

6. zooba

zooba Member

fuck yeah thats what i wanted to hear!!! sorry to swear but i am so excited since i still want to stay with 3:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

7. razza

razza Member

8. JebusJones

JebusJones Member

Called Virgin - definitely coming in, likely first week of March is all they can tell me. Not long to go! Am on the $45 cap plan already so it couldn't be much more on top of that, just hope data plan is as good as the iPhone ones.

9. JebusJones

JebusJones Member

Workmate brought in Virgin brochure from Chadstone store, it says "Coming Soon Late Feb" even though when I called they had no idea. It's also the one with the unlimited music downloads for the year.

10. OP
    OP
    Matt P

Matt P Member

Well i got mine today, off to a bit of a shaky start but i narrowed that down to some application on my n82's memory card that it didnt like, so a fresh format and i'm off :)

hard to get used to touch over a keypad, but we'll see how i go

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Full review please Matt P :p

12. Azrael

Azrael Member

And where from?

13. zooba

zooba Member

you forgot to ask how much?

14. josh81

josh81 Member

Yeah, where from, how much, what colour, and quick review? Aussie stock?

:shock:

15. WangNiNjA

WangNiNjA Member

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

^^ I'd rather take the phone at a reduced cost and can the free music downloads for a year....least people should have that option.

17. josh81

josh81 Member

Yeah agreed. I don't know why that gizmodo link has another handset pictured (i think it's the N81 or something).
    Also, it says on that gizmodo:
    "As much as I really like the idea, I think a lot of people who might be interested in taking it up will wait for a higher end smartphone to work with the service before they sign up. Would you guys move to the 5800 for this? I know I wouldn't, but if it were on the N96 or the upcoming N97... well that might entice me enough."

As if the 5800 isn't a high end smart phone, the N96 isn't any better than it. What rubbish.

18. Idryss

Idryss Member

Pay $1100 ish local or grey import for upto $300 (atleast) cheaper.... hrm... cannot imagine that price remaining that high for long, atleast not at some resellers.

For those that haven't static iced it.

19. OP
    OP
    Matt P

Matt P Member

Its not. I wouldnt expect to see most of the usual "high end" users using this handset.

A short review, its not bad. I'm loving the big screen and the lack of keypad isnt a massive inconvenience (ive never had a touch handset before). I had some initial hiccups, but i traced those back to the memory card i put into ti straight from my N82. I used the original 8 gigger to come with it and its working fine now. Probably not a fair time to comment on battery life so i wont.

I paid high 500's inc shipping and insurance from ebay hk. I took the risk knowing i wouldnt have a warranty locally, but also because i know i wont have the thing forever, probably only till n97 hits the streets.

20. Rogue_Elefant

Rogue_Elefant Member

I've had my 5800 for over a month now, got a heap of bunch of apps for it. I love it. So much nicer than any current N-Series Nokia. The v20 firmware made it even faster.

People keep saying that its not a high-end phone, what high-end stuff doesn't it do?

I can browse the net on it, use it as a voip phone, watch videos, listen to music, GPS, wireless connectivity, play games on it, listen to the radio on it, instant messaging, view office documents, view pdf's, use the 8gb of storage for whatever I want, stereo bluetooth - awesome with BT car kit.

Surely a higher MP camera doesn't mean high-end!