Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Matt P, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Daemon

Daemon Member

How's the web browser? I'm looking at it as an alternate to the iPhone, as the 5800 will have coverage on the Optus 900MHz "YesG" system.

Keen to see what plans the telco's will offer this on, hopefully details will be out soon.

2. Azrael

Azrael Member

Local telechoice is telling me next week.

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Apologies if answered already, can't be bothered checking, but how's the lag on menu's? Is there any?

4. Rogue_Elefant

Rogue_Elefant Member

the menu is fast, you are not waiting for it to come up, it is quite snappy.

the web browser is ok, you can load opera mini on it too.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2009
  5. Azrael

Azrael Member

Anything that would sync with OneNote?

6. fc_jai

fc_jai Member

Have you tried installing Garmin on it? This is probably the most used app on my N82 atm :p

Also, how long did you charge your phone for when you got it? How's the battery life? I always seem to screw up my battery life on my phones...atm I only get like 2 to 3 days max out of my N82 :(

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  7. OP
    OP
    Matt P

Matt P Member

ive ran garmin, works well, only a little bit of dicking around required.

as far as battery life goes, dont expect more than 2-3 days out of a late model smartphone if you actually use the damn thing

8. red_marine

red_marine Member

i think what they might be refering to is the build quality of the phone, any typical high end phone will sport at least a bit of metal ;)

9. OP
    OP
    Matt P

Matt P Member

not so much build quality, moreso style

plus i miss my n82s camera, that thing rocked. The 3.2 in this is ~n73 quality.

10. fc_jai

fc_jai Member

Right...I see...are you able to tell me what you had to do? PM me please :)

Thanks!

11. AusKWiKsAnD

AusKWiKsAnD Member

I think you'll find that's just down to your use, I don't think it's easy to screw batteries, not like old school ones anyway. I've had a N95 8GB for almost 18 months now, when I got it, under heavy use I'd get 8-12 hours before it'd die, and that's much the same now. I'll usually charge it over night and if it's under crazy use (push email, wifi, maps, etc etc) I'll charge at work if necessary too.

If I'm away from a charger or know I wont be near one in a few days I'll take the second battery.

Recently when we moved house we couldn't get DSL/Cable for 3-4 weeks, so I was slaying the Bluetooth -> 3G connection to my laptop every second when I was at home. You can run a battery from completely full to dead flat (not even enough to attempt to turn on) in less than an hour.

We've got a few 5800's at work for testing, they seem like a pretty cool phone.. I presume it's the younger sibling of the N97 due for release in June? thats S60v5 too (touch screen too), waiting on that one!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2009
  12. OP
    OP
    Matt P

Matt P Member

theres a link in this thread :)

13. fc_jai

fc_jai Member

Cheers about the heads up for the link ;)

Also, did you notice on your N82 that when the battery got down to 3 bars, it'd run down VERY quick as opposed from full to 3 bars?

Edit: Just found out that Garmin released an update to support the 5800!

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3939

I will be giving this a try once my one arrives sometime this week :p

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2009
  14. josh81

josh81 Member

Yeah seems like a high end smart phone to me. I suppose the only thing it lacks is the premium camera resolution [(5mp) (does have all the other premium camera attributes)], and a premium build (not sure what smart phones have metal in the casing).
    But as far as features go, it pretty much ticks all the boxes.

What is the browsing like with Opera Mini? The one thing i really liked with this handset was the internet navigation using the touchscreen. You can grab the page and drag it around, ie; scroll in every direction really easily just like using the hand tool in PDF's, office docs and graphics programs.
    So can you do this with Opera Mini, or only the built in browser? Is navigation pretty much the same?

Only? 2-3 days is very good, you are expecting too much if you're unhappy with 2-3 days.

Great news about the new Garmin version supporting S60 touch screen. Here's a YouTube video feature the old version. Read the comments below it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfvAGMC9_Qc

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  15. AusKWiKsAnD

AusKWiKsAnD Member

Check out Dans Data (cant remember which article), he's got a link about the mind games that electronics producers play to always make you feel like you have longer battery life, evident on everything, phones, cameras and to some extent possibly Laptops as well.

Been playing with it again this mornng, imo it really doens't cut the cheese. Even with a firmware update it still seemed buggy as hell.

/me hopes the N97 comes out a bit more stable.

16. Azrael

Azrael Member

5800 is the cover "girl" on the new Allphones cattledog.

$849 outright, with XpressMusic

$4/m on the $45 Virgin cap plan.

17. josh81

josh81 Member

That's too bad, i don't want to hear that. Hopefully they will release another firmware update to solve the bugs. Fingers crossed.

18. fc_jai

fc_jai Member

Buggy? I dunno, mine seems fine!

Only thing I can really complain about is the time it takes to change to full screen qwerty when I reply an sms or something.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What are the sorts of bugs you are getting?

20. AusKWiKsAnD

AusKWiKsAnD Member

The main things I was noticing were the freezing between menu's/apps, and random resets. Then again in its defence it didn't seem any more or less reset happy than my N95 8GB either so its probably fine!