Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Matt P, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Idryss

Idryss Member

OK. So the CWM (comes With Music) service is supposed to work hand in hand and be sold with the phone.... does anyone know if it comes with every 5800? Or only ones sold through their 'official' partners? (Telechoice, 3, virgins, allphones etc).

Want to know if its worth buying it for under $600 and the service will be a deciding factor.

2. JebusJones

JebusJones Member

Just found this article about major hardware issues with the 5800:

So it looks like they had a problem in Europe but things have quietened down so maybe we'll be OK over here.

3. josh81

josh81 Member

Yea i'm not too worried with that information. Sounds like aussie stock will be the fixed model. If not, a quick trip to Nokia Care centre will fix it up. Bring it on, 5800 yay!

Edit: It should be released this week.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2009
  4. JebusJones

JebusJones Member

My 6300 is literally maybe a week or two away from totally dying so I reckon the 5800 will be a nice little birthday present to myself in the coming weeks.

5. OP
    OP
    Matt P

Matt P Member

it should be out now actually

an allphones i went past on the weekend had a big sign "Nokia 5800 XpressMusic in stock now!!!!1111zomg"

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

As in on packaged plans or to buy outright?

7. JebusJones

JebusJones Member

Giving the local Virgin store a quick call... and it just rings and rings. Might stop by on my way home.

8. OP
    OP
    Matt P

Matt P Member

its $4 on a $45 or 49 cap or something

9. Idryss

Idryss Member

$45 plan with $4 phone installments with Virgin. Nothing yet from Voda(their staff have no idea if you ask them). The big O have horrible pricing if what I have seen is accurate (It looks it).

- Taken from WP so take with a shaker of salt.

Crazy Johns is similar pricing I believe

10. josh81

josh81 Member

I have no idea, just that i read that March 17 was the release date. As mentioned by Matt P, AllPhones do have it, it's on the home page of their website saying "Now available".

That's pretty good pricing from Virgin, woeful from Optus. Bloody still paying handset installments on a $130 plan!! And this isn't even the most expensive nokia (or any handset), it's cheaper than the iphone in other countries.

Virgin: $49 a month, with $320 of credit + 50mb of data. Still listed as preorder on the website.
    http://www.virginmobile.com.au/VIP

No sign of the 5800 on the Optus site, the Telstra site, or 3mobile.

11. JebusJones

JebusJones Member

I was hoping Virgin would have similar data plans and pricing for that data as their iPhone deals...

12. GrimRe

GrimRe Member

Just picked up one from a Virgin booth in Sydney. Phone is really quite great but mine didn't have any music pre-loaded :(

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

On the $49 cap plan with $320 credit per month?

14. GrimRe

GrimRe Member

Yep. I was gonna go the $99 topless but the phone payments were higher:confused:

15. josh81

josh81 Member

Higher on a $99? I wonder how much that will last. I hope when they fix that, they bring the $99 phone payments down, and not bring the $49 phone payments up.
    If you actually want to go on the $99 topless cap, i s'pose you just sign up to the $49 and then ring up and get them to switch you to the higher plan. I've never heard of Telcos charging you to go to a higher plan.

Is there supposed to be music pre-loaded on it? I thought all the free music is downloads from the Nokia music store, so i wouldn't expect anything to be on the handset when you buy it.

PS: what colour?

16. GrimRe

GrimRe Member

I think its supposed to be navy. Its got a blue stripe down the side.

Yea I might just change across the $99 topless. The thing is that its not actually a cap, if you use outside credit stuff its added on top of the $99 not from it.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Excuse my phone n00bness but what's this topless stuff?

18. JebusJones

JebusJones Member

Topless with Virgin is essentially no costs above $99 for all of their standard services. I am on the $45 and I've never gone over that except when using overseas, and the $99 doesn't cover global roaming so meh.

Gonna actually step into the Virgin store today and see if they have any in stock although the chick on the phone yesterday knew nothing about the phone whatsoever.

I still have about $70 to pay on my 6300 - if I threaten to leave Virgin for another carrier, do the store staff have the authority to waive me paying the rest of the handset repayments in order to keep me with them?

Also am quite fine with no pre-loaded music as usually it's bloody awful crap anyway.

19. GrimRe

GrimRe Member

There's a card in the box that gives you 1 album free off nokia music store. Pretty poor

Nokia Maps 3 also doesn't work. Version 2 that comes peloaded looks really good however.

20. JebusJones

JebusJones Member

One album free is a bit dumb when it's supposed to have free music for a year.