Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Matt P, Oct 6, 2008.

1. josh81

josh81 Member

Just read this on Whirpool (see below). I don't know why Virgin told you there was still phone repayments above the $49 cap. :confused:

pnd41s says:

"Went to my local Telechoice today. They had the 5800 in stock, under both Optus or Virgin plans.

Virgin
    $45 cap + $4 (phone/mth)
    50MB data download included
    any cap above $45, the phone is free
    CWM 12months

Optus
    $49 cap + $18 (phone/mth)
    no data download included, must pay extra for an internet package
    CWM 18months or CWM 12months + stereo headset
    "

Doesn't look like a Navy blue to me from pictures, looks like electric blue or something lighter in colour and nicer looking than navy. Anyway, glad to hear blue is available to the AUS market, cause that's my preferrence. :)

http://i.gsmarena.com/vv/reviewsimg/nokia-5800-xpressmusic/phone/gsmarena_014.jpg
    http://img.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/nokia/nokia-5800-xpressmusic-3.jpg

EDIT: Rumour is that 3 will release the 5800 next monday!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  2. JebusJones

JebusJones Member

Walked into Virgin Swanston St yesterday arvo and they'd just been delivered so I am now the proud owner of a red Nokia 5800 (well red as in the red stripe).

I'm liking it so far but am still personalising everything to my taste and will have more impressions after a day or so.

Couple things I've noticed:
    - I am gonna have to get better at typing on a QWERTY keyboard with my thumbs, I'm so used to the keypad method but I wanna change that as I prefer full control over my typing
    - the Virgin WAP settings that loaded don't seem to connect to the internet at all so will try and fiddle with them to get it to work
    - extremely easy to connect to wireless LAN at home and work
    - love the hardware keylock/unlock (much like my old N91)
    - love the multimedia menu though wish it was cutomisable as I'd want to put the radio on there
    - disc didn't seem to come with latest version of Nokia Phone Browser software, just the OVI suite although maybe that does the same thing
    - via bluetooth was able to copy all contacts and calendar details from my 6300 in a pinch
    - good size and weight - really only slightly larger than my 6300 but full screen obviously
    - maps - haven't really played with this yet (and is in fact my very first experience ever with GPS) but it did locate me fine
    - music - when you select the artist it then sorts by album - WOO HOO!!! This was my main issue with my 6300 and now that it does this it's like a proper MP3 player
    - audio quality is excellent along with the radio - areas of the city where my ONDA would fizz and spit using the radio are crystal clear with this one using the same headphones
    - video have not tried any but the Dark Knight trailer that comes on it looks stretched but dunno if that is the aspect of the video, screen or just plain bad encoding, it did play seamlessly
    - if you add a new video, to refresh you actually have to go into the music screen to refresh the library there, kinda annoying but not too bad as it is pretty quick
    - had some issues transferring some MP3 files last night but could have just ben 'cause of low battery, will give it another go today
    - the stylus is actually quite handy and easy to use, I think the plectrum on a string (I don't like cords or whatever hanging off my phone) is rather pointless for me
    - lots of little bits and pieces in the box that I'll probably never use (like headphones, stand, plectrum, strap)

3. 666666

666666 Member

It's up on the virgin website to buy now.

Damn I was hoping that it would be cheaper on lower cap plans.

On the $20 cap the phone repayments are $24pm! A total of $44 pm and you don't get the 50mb of data, so it's the exact same price as the $49 deal when you add the data pack but you only get $50 of included calls. In fact it's the same price as the iPhone on the $20 cap :confused:
    I was hoping for around $35pm total since 90% of my calls and texts are virgin to virgin and therefore free so I don't need anything more than the $20 cap.

Bah!

4. Idryss

Idryss Member

Thanks for the info there Jebus. More info for all is better :)

5. fc_jai

fc_jai Member

That's a bit weird. My 5800 is not AUS stock and it loads up the settings automatically when it detects what network you're on and it works fine. You use Virgin Internet to surf web pages and Virgin WAP when you wanna surf Virgin Vibe.

6. JebusJones

JebusJones Member

Will play around with it some more tonight.

For some reason I can not get it to connect/sync with OVI or Nokia PC Suite (cable or bluetooth connection) which is very annoying though it could have something to do with Vista as it keeps trying to load drivers for the phone when I plug it in but never finds any.

7. JebusJones

JebusJones Member

Ok Virgin Internet is now working and, although slow, seems to work fine.

Main issue I have had is that neither OVI or PC Suite could recgnise the phone - well actually they could, but as soon as I set it to PC Suite mode to use their features it would not longer recognise the phone. Did a bit of searching and found that if you uninstall the cable drivers and re-install them from here then it works fine after you update PC Suite a little (it will prompt you).

Dunno if this will happen to everyone or just me 'cause I am on Vista Home.

Still flashing "SIM Memory Full" even though I am using the Phone memory for contacts and I even deleted a few fro my SIM... I'll figure it out.

Found the fix for that too:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  8. josh81

josh81 Member

Thanks Jebus. Personally i like the idea of the plectrum for quick access, rather than pulling out the stylus. I'm one of those people who don't like cords hanging off the phone either, but i do like the look of the plectrum.

I had a play with one today at Telechoice, not as thrilled as i thought i was going to be:

- touchscreen isn't perticularly responsive when using your finger/s, the clerk even said "you have to push the screen firmly", which is true. A bit annoying, makes navigation a bit slower, and a few presses resulted in nothing happening. With the stylus it's fine, very responsive.
    - Handwriting recognition isn't perticularly good, i'm a pretty neat printer (hand writing) and it miss took a few letters. I entered the letter "i" or it may have been "l", and it gave me /. Also you have to draw a dash after every word to make a space, which isn't very time efficient.
    -The full screen qwerty was pretty good with the stylus, but with my thumbs it was a bit hit and miss, but with some practice i think it could be ok.
    - The numerical keypad with T9 text entry option was probably the fastest for me (probably cause i'm more used to it). With my thumbs it was good, but not great, because you have to press firmly so you can rapidly tap out the text. With the stylus the numerical keypad was very fast, faster than with a normal phone keypad.
    - Accelerometer wasn't perfect, often i would have the phone held in portrait or landscape and it would have the screen orientation the wrong way and i had to re-do the rotation. Rotating in the gallery was a bit slow, took a while to bring up the image in landscape when i rotated, but it was a slender portait image, so maybe it's only slow with those images.
    - Love the volume/zoom buttons, and the camera button.
    - I think it's going to take Nokia S60 users a lot longer to get up to speed with the new OS, it seemed very different.
    - I think in some menus i had to double tap to open up the next menu.
    - Tried it with the stand for my iGo Stowaway keyboard, and it wasn't a very good fit for widescreen viewing. Might have to alter the stand so i can use the 5800 in widescreen with my stowaway keyboard.

Dude you are expecting way too much, $35 total for the 5800? What do you think this is, some budget nokia smart phone.... this is primo device.

The girl at Virgin told me it was $20 phone repayments on the $29 cap, so there's no point cause it's $4 on the $45 cap; same price.
    Above the $45 cap there's no phone repayments, the next cap up is the $75.

The guy at Telechoice told me it's $18 a month phone repayments on the Optus $49 cap.

Visited 2 different 3mobile stores (in the same centre), and neither could tell me the release date for the 5800, they estimated it would be start of april. I don't give their info much credit, hopefully it is the 23rd March.

9. baked

baked Member

I had pretty much the same experience. I thought the phone was OK, but there were a few quirks (tap and double tap, not all that responsive, moving from portrait to landscape) that put me off from buying it.

10. josh81

josh81 Member

Oh yea, cool. Hasn't put me off from buying it, i will have another more thourough test of it before deciding to buy though. I'll wait to see what pricing 3 offers it for, might consider switching to Virgin if it's too pricey with 3.
    ---

Make your 5800 look like an iphone, nice trick:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk91_3CDbYk

11. JebusJones

JebusJones Member

Having never used Internet on a phone before I am finding it super slow - I though it'd be the same speed as the mobile broadband I use at home?

Also I haven't played much with the GPS stuff yet but it seems a little finicky.

I have noticed the screen switching between landscape and portrait at inopportune times but that seems to be mostly 'cause of the way I was holding it though does seem to happen in the radio a lot.

I actually quite like the double tap to select and then choose certain functions, means if you first tap the wrong thing then it doesn't open it up accidentally.

Put a "How I Met Your Mother" episode on there last night using OVI and it took maybe 10 minutes to convert and transfer the file. Started out as a 175mb AVI and then converted to a 450mb MP4 (did it at best quality). That's annoying but the quality was fine on the screen with no skipping and audio synced without a hitch. I guess it means a standard movie would convert to about 2 gig though so maybe need to find different player to install or different converter program.

12. josh81

josh81 Member

Yeah i've always found that odd, that my 3.6mb/s HSDPA mobile internet is much slower than my home 1.5mb/s ADSL (pre-ADSL2 obviously).
    I've got ADSL2 now, which has a maximum speed of 24mb/s. But it's confusing as to why the 3.6mb/s max speed doesn't come near the 1.5mb/s speed of home ADSL.
    I can only assume that the 3.6mb/s maximum is near un-acheivable, and the average speed to expect is something well under 1mb/s.

It's faster using Opera Mini, and uses less data too (much less). Have you tried using Opera Mini instead? Free download from Opera website, latest is version 4.2.

Alot of people on OCAU will recommend "SUPER" to convert your videos for mobile devices. Not sure what the best settings are, maybe trial and error. Free download.

Re; the GPS, are you using the Nokia Maps?
    Garmin XT is the best for the mobile phones, especially for the 5800 cause there's touch screen support with the latest version. Try looking on YouTube for some demos.

13. Finner

Finner Member

Been following this one for a while now and finally got to have a play with one in the shop this arvo (the lady was surprised I even knew about it given they were only out this week and haven't been advertised!).

Was actually better than I expected given some of the reviews. Screen seemed responsive to my touch. Couldn't find somewhere to test out the QWERTY keypad though, will try that one next time. Kinda confusing menu and navigation, but something you'd get used to.

Only thing I'm not quite sold on is the build quality and size - I'd like it smaller and less plasticy (like the Samsung F480), but I don't think there are any other options at the moment and am asking for too much in a touch screen phone at this point.

Will wait to see what 3 offer with this - currently with them and would rather not change. They'd also have the better broadband network over Virgin? Hopefully they don't go too expensive!
    Anyone heard of Telstra picking up this phone..? would consider moving for their NextG network.

14. Rogue_Elefant

Rogue_Elefant Member

15. josh81

josh81 Member

Yeah i thought that too, but that's probably because my last 2 mobile phones have been nokia S60, and i expect to pick things up right away with a new symbian nokia, too much to expect i think, considering it's a S60 v5 touchscreen OS.

Really? i was very happy with build quality. The size in theory is pretty small, only 109g, and 83cc (cc = cubic centimetres ie: volume/size).
    Other Nokia handsets:
    N95: 90cc
    N82: 90cc
    6110 & 6210 Navigator: 89cc
    N81: 86cc
    6233: 81cc
    6680: 104cc

It's just the length of it makes it seem pretty big, for a touch screen it's pretty small. It's roughly the same size as an iPhone, and the LG viewty. I wish they had trimmed a couple mm off the length, even if that sacrificed a tiny bit of screen size.

My thoughts exactly.

Yeah i thought that by watching the video, but i asked the guy and he tells me that it's not, it had to do with him holding the video camera and not pressing the buttons/icons properly.
    Why do you say that? From the video, or from your personal experience with the software/theme?

16. Finner

Finner Member

It was definitely a lot lighter than I expected, but I guess I'm coming from an E65, small and solid build.

Just for comparison;
    Samsung F480 (the touchscreen phone I like the size of, but that lacks many features): 62cc
    iPhone: 88cc

The iPhone is more tempting now that they've supposedly fixed a lot of the basic functions of a phone that really should have been there from the start.. but still, it's apple :p

17. Idryss

Idryss Member

3 Have it on roughly the following:

$69 cap - Free
    $49 cap - $10/m
    $29 cap - $32/m (or it could be $18 I cannot remember....thinking its 18 but rather cover my ass with a higher figure).
    I also think they are selling it outright pretty cheap. $649 or such. Atleast thats what someone told me.

18. josh81

josh81 Member

The iPhone isn't 88cc, it couldn't be, because that's the cc size i get when i multiply the dimensions together (88.22cc). That's not taking into account the curve's.
    For example (previously prepared):

Touchscreen phones - Size comparison

Nokia 5800
    True size (volume): 83cc
    Dimension calculated size 88.95cc
    Weight: 109g

iPhone
    True size (volume): ?
    Dimension calculated size 88.22cc
    Weight: 133g

LG Viewty
    Dimension calculated size 86.14cc
    Weight: 112g

Samsung Omnia
    Dimension calculated size 79.66cc
    Weight: 122g

Check the 3 Australia thread, i've posted the pricing. It's $14 on the $29 cap. The rest you've mentioned is correct.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Forgive me if I've missed it, but how thick is it (mm's)?

20. josh81

josh81 Member

15.5mm.....