Nokia is finally back, and it's looking good!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by StreekG, Aug 2, 2017.

1. StreekG

StreekG Member

Well i figured if nobody has posted about it yet, i might as well considering it's pretty big news.

https://www.finder.com.au/hmd-global-announces-australian-release-of-nokia-3-nokia-5-and-nokia-6

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/phones/nokia/

With HMD Global buying the rights to make phones under the NOKIA brand, i would've thought the android forum would be bustling with talk.

I've known about this since the beginning of the year, and now phones are finally on the market in Australia

We have 3 models so far, the Nokia 3, Nokia 5 and Nokia 6. Entry level to midrange models with VERY attractive prices to boot. However i am waiting for the Nokia 8 flagship which will be unveiled this month for a 2017 launch!
    I've checked out the 3 models at JB Hifi yesterday and they look pretty nice and the girl there said they have been selling like mad in the week they've had them in stock, even after i told her i wasn't interested in those models, only the flagship

Selling points for me are
    Nokia build quality inc Precision milled aluminium frames, highly focused on drop tests, and from the reviews, these phones are coming out on top.
    Vanilla Android Nougat, no bloatware, regular updates not controlled by Telcos.

I am currently a Windows Phone user, i have been using WP since WP8 was launched and since, i've had about 4 different models. Now that Microsoft aren't making Windows Phones any more, i've decided that i will need to make the jump, i don't really like Apple as i have an Iphone 7 work phone, but i do run an Samsung Android tablet for games and i love it.

I was a huge Nokia fan and also a Windows Phone guy, but Nokia really shot themselves in the foot by comitting only to Windows Phone. I feel strongly that HMD Global are going to do great things with Nokia, and their vision is to be in the top 5 for smart phones in the next few years.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  2. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

they look pretty much like most china phones these days?

priced well and fairly well spec'd for the money

should sell well

3. WJR

WJR (Banned or Deleted)

Looks decent for the price, nice to see Nokia back the game.

4. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

Nokia 8 sounds interesting...or whatever they are gonna call it

5. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

They're too new in the market to really know how they're going to hold up. Nokia is literally a brand name only. The company that used to be Nokia doesn't exist.

I've been keeping an eye on their progress, but until they've been out a while and subject to a lot of real-world use I won't be considering getting one.

6. power

power Member

yeah it's just some company weekend at bernieing the corpse of a brand.

take the device on it's merits and not the brand it's wearing otherwise you might end up with a speaker hat.

7. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

Good points guys, for me i feel confident on their abilities given that HMD are formed of ex Nokia employees, i think the phones will hold up.

Since Windows Phone 8 was launched i've always been happy to be a guinea pig for these kind of things. Mainly because i follow a individual approach with phones, don't like being part of the pack and have the same phone as everyone else.

8. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Heads up the nokia 5/6 is one of the most durable phones on the market, possibly ever. Good repairability too. Feels very solid. Runs an almost stock android so it's quite responsive/fast even though it's a midrange chipset. Finally Australia is getting more options for midrange phones that aren't months behind the overseas release and 1 or 2 versions of android behind.

Drop test:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYasmMSY3wA

Teardown showing the metal frame sandwich construction:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M3Budnl3aI&vl=en

edit: by durable I mean drops/falls, not waterproofness so keep that in mind

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  9. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Member

Noticed these in JB a few weeks back.
    Looks and feels decent. Running on Android as well.

10. Sankari

Sankari Member

Finnish company, founded by Nokia execs, based in Finland, located next door to Nokia, uses official Nokia designs, and Carl Zeiss lenses. We're talking genuine Nokia here, not Chinese knock-offs.

(Source).

Build quality will be best on the market, as usual. My biggest problem with their new phones is the physical home button. Nobody needs that crap. Also, why the low resolutions?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  11. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

The home button is a fingerprint sensor so I don't see a big problem there, still the most common placement. The nokia 6 has a fullhd screen, already over the top in reality of what your eye can see. As far as nokia 5/3, personally I've found 1280x720 is sharp/crisp enough for phone size screens and gives better battery life.

12. Sankari

Sankari Member

^^ Fair points.

Nokia 6 can be picked up for $335 on ebay. That is crazy cheap.

48g lighter than my One Max, with a marginally smaller screen size and no infra-red. Could end up being my new phone, unless HTC does something amazing in the next 6 months.

13. Reaper

Reaper Member

I'll agree with the first statement. The 2nd only in the concept that it's sold locally here it's a good price.

They fall flat to what was originally promised:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1212345

The current flagship is only barely on spec with my redmi 4 I bought last year for cheaper.

14. Hater

Hater Member

Mmmm.

Not feeling these new devices, they just feel like boring middle tier Android meh.

The first release Lumia 800 and 900 were spectacular and exciting, these are... not.

15. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

I think HMD/Nokia are doing this on purpose to capture some market first.
    From what i've been hearing, these entry level-mid tier models are selling very well, with the flagship Nokia 8 being release middle of this month.
    The thing to remember is that something like the Nokia 8 which will have quite strong hardware (Snapdragon 835, high ram) on release, seems like it's going to be a sub $1,000 phone. That's a huge win. The current flagships from Samsung and Apple are getting rediculous now.

16. SyN

SyN Member

17. Sankari

Sankari Member

Looking at the home button, it seems to be capacitive instead of a physical pushbutton. So that's a plus.

Not quite entry level. It has full HD, a good camera, decent RAM, and generous storage. Overall, it would be an upgrade from my One Max.

18. SyN

SyN Member

full HD is minimum for a 5.5".. any lower would be ridiculous
    but i suppose its about right given its got a puncy snapdragon 430

19. Hater

Hater Member

Yeah but I meant the phones themselves. The Lumia 800 and 900 were quite "underspecced" compared to other phones at release (not that it mattered as WP shat all over Android and iOS of the time when it came to hardware resource requirements) but it was more the build quality and the entire thing was exciting. Just having fast hardware doesn't make it exciting, and neither does price.

20. Sankari

Sankari Member

You are right about that.

Nokia made polycarbonate cool before it was cool, and introduced bold splashes of colour at a time when everyone else was playing it safe with phone design. The look and feel of the Lumia series had that unique Nokia quality that I've missed ever since I finally retired my N97 Mini.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017