Nokia is finally back, and it's looking good!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by StreekG, Aug 2, 2017.

1. mtma

mtma Member

You get used to the grip, it did feel like it would slip out at any time initially compared to my old phone but it is actually fine. I run mine naked.

The edges are also surprisingly durable against scratches and dents. It's obviously made of a fairly hardened aluminium.

2. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

Warning to anyone looking at a Nokia 7+, they (and from what i read the 8 suffers from it too) have a dodgy usb port design. Through normal use it'll eventually break the connection on the pcb and becomes very touchy to get it to connect. I had my phone replaced after about a month, and about another month later it's happening again and I've been super careful with this one. Good thing I bought it from JB so I'm going to try and get a different phone.

My opinion of HMD Nokia is rapidly corroding.
    Other than that it's a fantastic phone. Unfortunately you need to charge it or it's useless.

3. 1dongchen

1dongchen Member

Mate of mine got this for his phone (not a nokia, don't know what he has) when his USB charging port got finnaky.
    https://nillkin.org/accessories/chargers/nillkin-magic-tags-type-c-wireless-charging-receiver

He leaves it under his case and it means he never has to mess with his USB port. He is restricted to wireless charging only, but one by his bed and one at work gets him by.

I've got a 6.1 plus and I like mine. Had it two months. How long have your 7+'s lasted for?

4. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

You can get magnetic cables that you leave the usb plug in the phone too. I use an external DAC so none of that is useful.

I took it back to JB today and got a Pixel 2 XL instead. N7+ was a great phone made useless by a dodgy usb port/case design.

5. archie

archie Member

enjoying my N7+ since June... lets see how long it lasts

6. money_killer

money_killer Member

got a Nokia 2.1 $150 for a temp phone until my pixel 3 arrives. not a bad unit bang for buck and bare bones pretty happy with it, although if it was to be perm i would get a Nokia 5 or 7 something a tad better.

7. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

I was reading on xda that I'm not the only one to encounter it. Also sounds like the 8 suffers from it as well.

8. archie

archie Member

I get a slight jiggle with some USB-C cables, none with others

9. Zee

Zee Member

The USB thing doesn't affect the 6.1 though, right?
    Z...

10. power

power Member

haha, if it does i'll tell you soon enough we just rolled out a bunch of 6.1 2008's to some truck drivers and yeah they are famous for looking after things.

Zee and 1dongchen like this.
  11. Zee

Zee Member

Excellent! I look forward to hearing about what they do and don't break - and how quickly!

Z...

12. power

power Member

not one DOA so that's something. All sent out with generic tough case and glass screen protectors.

13. Zee

Zee Member

Don't suppose you have a suggestion for case? Going to pull the trigger on a Nokia 6.1 via Kogan at some stage in the next few days, need to make sure it has a good case, because I suck at holding things.

Z...

14. power

power Member

we just bought cheap ebay tough things, there's not much out there as far as i can tell.

downside of the device is like many phones now because the edges have a curve most of the screen protectors are shithouse.

15. Zee

Zee Member

Yeah, though I find if the case has a bit of a lip above the screen, I usually don't need a screen protector. Wouldn't be the first time I had to cut down a screen protector to make it work, though. Used to do it for my screens on the cameras, I buy a matte screen to help with reflections.

Z...

16. mtma

mtma Member

My 6.1's USB port hasn't shown any issues yet.

Some traces of scratches have started to appear on the corners of the screen though, characteristic of running naked and its raised glass face. The XZ2 with its depressed glass surface was way more robust against this.

17. grrrr

grrrr Member

Is that code for:
    you cant hold your drink?
    you have a tendency to 'accidentally' throw your phone?
    or
    you secretly like to drop the soap?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

18. Zee

Zee Member

Reference to one of the Friday Funnies a few weeks back, where a sign said "blah blah phone screen repairs - because you suck at holding things".

Z...

19. bradleyk

bradleyk Member

Hey guys, I've had a nokia 6.1 since it came out. Been a solid phone but it has been slowly bending diagonally across from the power button to the opposite top corner, noticed it last month.

I sent it in for repairs (via JB Hi Fi) and they want me to pay $100 to get the case replaced.
    Talking to nokia about this they want me to send it to them, have to figure how to get it back :/

Has anyone else had this issue?

20. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

Is it still under warranty? Nokia will collect & return ship to you (at least in metro areas) under warranty. It was one of the things they impressed me with when my mrs 6 had an issue.