Nokia is finally back, and it's looking good!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by StreekG, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Asako

Asako Member

My 6.1 updated last night. It added a hideous search bar to my homescreen that is impossible to simply disable by default. Apparently I need a third party launcher... why, google. Why. It was fine the way it was. I don't want this clutter.

archie likes this.
  2. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Just snagged a Nokia 8 Steel for a touch under $285. Yes last year's model, yes no Android One but also nearly $50 cheaper than I paid for my Nokia 6 (2017). I shared with ozbargain - https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/416283

3. power

power Member

i've seen this too, i'm sure it's a "bug" they will "fix" in a future update. By then people will be used to using it and job done.

4. mtma

mtma Member

I gave up and restarted my phone as it had been laggy ever since it started nagging me to update and now am stuck with this layout :(

Also the bar with the day and weather at the top seems to be stuck as well?

5. power

power Member

The 6.1's updated to pie, google bar good and stuck now. Meh

6. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

Dude just use Nova launcher and never have to complain about anything ever again.

7. clonex

clonex Member

best launcher is z launcher, K.I.S.S

8. mtma

mtma Member

I might be imagining things but on the 6.1 with Pie the camera seems to be a lot less clunky and works it out in low light a lot better.

9. wooly1

wooly1 Member

Yes, I agree.
    Took some pics indoors in quite low light levels and was surprised at how well they worked.
    Still a little graininess but very acceptable.
    Even pointing towards the window which was the main light source the rest of the dimly lit interior came up well.

10. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Daughter in law has a Nokia 3 (not 3.1) She has had it for over a year now. She loved it at first, but she says she is beginning to find it laggy and annoying, with regular freezes and diminishing battery life. She is running Oreo on it of late, just a recent Nokia update but the problems were occurring before the update from Nougat she says..

She is much more of a 'power user' on phones than I, she uses it for pretty much everything, whereas my phone is strictly calls, text and photos. She has a decent near new i5 laptop she only uses for Netflix, everything else online is done on her phone, including gaming.

NFI if its a phone issue or an OS issue, but she's been eyeing off my cheapy Huawei Y6 with a view to stealing it when I get a new Oppo (crushed the old R11 S under the back wheel of my car :( ).

Anyone else finding similar issues with earlier versions of the 'new' Nokia's starting to lose their shine?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  11. frnak

frnak Member

Used the Nokia 8 for a couple of months now and I'm disappointed. The quality just isn't there.
    The front camera is a bloody potato. Night shots don't compare to an old iPhone.
    The camera app is glitchy and slow. Missed many shots because it got stuck while launching.
    The bluetooth performance is crap. Lots of skips and very sensitive to interference.
    skip this one.

12. SyN

SyN Member

Ive been using one for the last few months as my secondary phone.
    Camera app is fine, but image quality is shit I agree - but luckily I take photos on my main phone instead
    Performance and battery life have been stellar though, especially at the low price

13. SyN

SyN Member

Just got Android 9 Pie OTA update, perhaps you should give that a go? Good luck

14. wullieb1

wullieb1 Member

Still waiting on mine for that update :(

15. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Same here, just checked.

16. wullieb1

wullieb1 Member

Still waiting!!!

17. power

power Member

this is a fleet not a personal device.

just got my first return for those wondering, water damage - device turns on just looks like the screen is effected. of course end user won't cop to just how much water.

18. Sankari

Sankari Member

Woohoo, Pie arrived today! (It probably arrived days ago, but I've only just checked).

:D :tongue:

*edit*

I like the new look!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  19. Sankari

Sankari Member

Might sound crazy, but my Nokia 6 is actually running faster on Pie than it did on Oreo.

20. sanjay

sanjay Member

not crazy at all, in fact thats what should be happening with new (more efficient) android releases!

Sankari likes this.