Nokia is finally back, and it's looking good!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by StreekG, Aug 2, 2017.

1. wullieb1

wullieb1 Member

Starting to have a couple of issues with my Nokia 8.

If i'm using an app and come away from it i can still see remnants of the app on the screen when i open something else.

The touchscreen failed on me the other day and refused to operate. A forced shutdown holding the power button wouldn't work. All the hardware buttons would function properly. Came good after a few minutes and hasn't happened since.

Will get it sent in to a repair centre to get the screen looked at.

2. clonex

clonex Member

Man this current nokia range is confusing, 7.1 or 7 plus? is there a 7.1 plus as well?

3. mtma

mtma Member

Yep, it's like they hired some people to do the marketing language for the first iteration who aren't there any more, and now it's just managers making the naming decision based on whatever seems like the best idea at the time.

4. clonex

clonex Member

its just puzzling as some markets might get 32gb storage/3gb ram while others 64gb/4gb ram

5. StevOz

StevOz Member

Purchased a Nokia 7 plus for under $400 on special recently great phone.

No notch, no silly glass back, solid aluminum build and good performance from the snapdragon 660 with Android one, updates every month on time, 4GB ram and good battery life with 3800 mAh battery.

Zee likes this.
  6. power

power Member

for anyone that cares, our Nokia's have been going great - no more returned.

Zee likes this.
  7. sanjay

sanjay Member

yeah and the 8.1 only has a snapdragon 710...bit of a fail really.

will be interesting to see if they release any more flagships (noting the nokia 9 pureview is still running the snapdragon 845...)

8. mtma

mtma Member

Some time ago I said something about the Nokia 6.1 not supporting Aptx. However it seems that the current software does have support enabled, based on the popups that came up connecting it to my bluetooth headset adapter - which is an unexpected boon.

9. clonex

clonex Member

yeah ended up getting my S8 fixed, pics of kids, 2FA app and what else on there was worth the $250'ish to fix the screen

10. Zee

Zee Member

What's puzzling is that they bother to make two variants. Why?

Z...

11. ThE_BiG_O

ThE_BiG_O Member

Any issues with low call volume after recent updates or loose/malfunctioning USB ports? They seem to be the most common problems on the x.1 Nokias according to the support forums.

I'm still yet to make the jump from Windows Phone to Android, which is becoming more inevitable by the day. After playing with a lot of droid phones, I did enjoy the experience of a vanilla bloatware free OS of the Nokia, Moto and Google over the mainstream competitors. The Nokias still seem to offer good bang for buck.

12. power

power Member

no one has said anything which usually means they are fine.

13. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

I've had two mates with Nokia 5.1 pluses have to return them recently because of the poor quality USB-C port. Both were only a few weeks old too.

14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I've seen quite a few complaints about various defects in the Nokias. The only one that was bought in my house was my stepdaughter, she had a 3.1 on which the sound just gave out. She now uses an Oppo A73.
    Eva still has her Galaxy A5 and I am using a Huawei Y7 after my Oppo R11S fell victim to the rear wheel of my car.

I don't think my stepdaughter ever really like much about her 3.1 apart from the vanilla Android. Its a shame, I was honestly hopeful that Nokia were resurrected after the darkness that was the Microsoft years - although to be honest I did like my old Nokia 920, Windows mobile was OK and the phones were good quality before Microsoft took over.

I am disappoint :(

15. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Just picked up a 5.1 (non plus) 16GB for $169 at aldi.

Will see how it goes.. 2 year warranty so if any of the above mentioned usb issues it'll go back, but can't argue with the price!

16. Hater

Hater Member

The Windows Phone Nokias were absolute great phones. Nothing dark about those times at all. No Android was the best things about them.

If anything, the dark times are now. Cheap Chinese HMD crap with the Nokia badge on it. Meh.

17. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

There was a time when they were not owned by Microsoft but still ran Windows. ie. 920, 1020. Those were excellent phones. After that, they were actually owned by Microsoft, and they were utter crap.

18. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Well, HMD aren't chinese (Finnish) but of course the phones are made in China by foxxconn just like iphones