Nokia is finally back, and it's looking good!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by StreekG, Aug 2, 2017.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

2. Sankari

Sankari Member

3. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I picked up an X6 on Gumtree and while it ended up needing it's USB port replaced, the module was easy to source and was essentially plug and play. The only downside has been the lack of NFC which has me looking for a different handset.

Sankari likes this.
  4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

How often would you use it though?

5. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

On the iPhone and Apple Watch I use ApplePay nearly every day. Sure I could just carry a card I suppose :p

6. Sankari

Sankari Member

I'll be interested in picking up the X6 when you're ready to move on.

7. clonex

clonex Member

and the new line is still as confusing as ever.

do they really need like 10 different models that step up like 30-50 bucks in price

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  8. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I'll keep that in mind. It's essentially unused, pulled the plastic off to find out it was broken, fixed it and used it long enough to get through all preliminary setup to the point I wanted to add Googlepay... then realised it doesn't have NFC onboard :(

Beautiful handset otherwise, at this point it's a question of if this will be my daughter's first phone later this year or if she wants to inherit an iPhone instead. I'm leaning towards this since it will give her a flavour of the otherside (and it's cheaper if/when it gets broken)!

Sankari likes this.
  9. rabih1978

rabih1978 Member

I would be interested too

10. power

power Member

had someone break a screen in one of the 6.1's, surprisingly not too bad to replace - glues onto the front and has one connector. shame the screen i ordered had no adhesive so i just used some 3M tape and it was all good.

little bit fiddly but all in all relatively painless.

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

More sensible lineup is to just have a regular size, plus size and a lite version for the cheaper end. No need for many various models.

12. Zee

Zee Member

Hoping to grab a 6.2 once they are finally released...

Z...

13. ThE_BiG_O

ThE_BiG_O Member

I got a Nokia 6.1 just over a month ago as my entry into android - finally joining the 21st century :lol: My 5th phone since the year 2000. All of them Nokias and none of them broke or died, just got superseded. After playing with a lot of droids in stores and not being a fan of Samsung bloatware or the OS of OPPO and Huawei it narrowed my choices down to Google, Motorola and Nokia. I was willing to give Nokia another chance, despite being "Nokia" by name only these days.

With power in this thread getting a fleet of them with very few issues it sounded like a safe bet. I've been happy with mine. As a light user I'm getting 3-4 days with 5-6+hrs screen time from a single charge (mostly web browsing, calls, sms, skype, music and some youtube, no games). Build quality seems excellent and very solid being a chunk of aluminium. GPS tracking seems very good, even when inside buildings. Despite my concerns of the issues plaguing the new Nokias with the low call volume and usb port, the call quality has been loud and crystal clear for me and no issues yet with the USB port. I'm currently on the latest build of Android 9 with June security patch. I suspect a lot of the call volume issues and loose USB-C ports may have been from the "Plus"/glass-back models.

Only negatives on the 6.1:
    • The solid metal construction is very slippery in hand. Despite rarely ever dropping a phone, I didn't trust carrying it without getting a case first. I got one of those $5 armor cases from ebay straight away - protects the phone and makes it ultra-grippy.
    • As others have said, photo quality isn't good in low light. Also, without rock-steady hands, focusing can be hit and miss. It can take some really excellent day-time macro shots and daytime/well-lit shots aren't too bad. Probably wouldn't recommend this phone to someone that takes a lot of photos or someone that wants a high quality camera on their phone.
    • The screen seems highly reflective. Can be combated with the very high brightness the screen reaches when out in bright sunlight.
    • More of an android gripe, but stock OS takes up ~13GB. Compared with the old windows phone and ~3GB.
    • Nokia's Android One doesn't have a dark theme global setting. Having been used to a dark theme on windows phone for so many years, being blinded by the white background settings menus, contacts, calendar, keyboard and messaging screens annoyed the shit out of me. Luckily with the Android 9 update, you could change most of them to dark but had to do it individually for each app and settings menu is still white. Hoping a dark global theme is on its way without the need for third-party apps. No idea why it's not there already. Even Apple just introduced it as a "revolutionary" feature in their latest phones and I think Samsung now have it too in their Android 9 update. Not sure why this wasn't implemented years ago as a user customisation option.
    • No separate MicroSD slot.
    Apart from that it's been quite an easy transition over from Windows phone and a positive one. Quite happy with the performance and build quality for the price I paid and does everything I need it to with decent battery life. I still think Windows was the superior phone OS in terms of memory management, speed in terms of physical resource requirements, intuitiveness, live tiles and lack of bloat. Microsoft were just too late to the party.

14. Sankari

Sankari Member

I picked up a 4/64GB Nokia 6.1 Plus last week for the grand total of $180. Barely two weeks old!

Build quality is excellent, CPU is snappy, and the extra screen real estate makes a big difference. Resolution is a solid 1080 x 2280. I haven't tried out the camera yet, but reviews are good so I'm looking forward to that.

Best part: ANDROID ONE! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is an upgrade from my Nokia 6, which I still recommend as a great mid range phone (my daughter has it now).

15. archie

archie Member

Just got a 6.1 for my FIL.
    Was $192 delivered via a deal on ozbargain.

I'm still rocking my 7+, though wish Nokia would do a phone with 3 slots, not a hybrid

wooly1 likes this.
  16. Sankari

Sankari Member

The 6 series is crazy good value, every one's a winner.

archie and miicah like this.
  17. ThE_BiG_O

ThE_BiG_O Member

Does anyone know how to get a list of upcoming calendar events to display on the lock screen without using notifications so you can see upcoming events at a glance? I got used to having it on Windows Phone and can't seem to find an option for it on the Nokia 6.1.

18. power

power Member

19. Sankari

Sankari Member

Nokia phones have been the fastest to upgrade to Android Pie. 94% of them had it in less than a year, and 96% have it now.

[​IMG]

20. archie

archie Member