Nokia is finally back, and it's looking good!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by StreekG, Aug 2, 2017.

1. BitAddict

BitAddict Member

Not in Australia, but when your weekly wage is the equivalent of $10 - $50 then probably yes?

2. wullieb1

wullieb1 Member

Looks like i'll be sending mine in for repair.

Getting ghosing on the screen when using apps, noticable when the app has been open a while.

3. connico

connico Member

Brought dad a 7.1 for fathers day and it was DOA from JB. Went to return it but no stock, so settled for a discounted Pixel 3A XL.

Lovely phone, excellent build, just got a dead phone. If anyone wants unopened accessories let me know ahahaha

4. power

power Member

Nokia use Qualcomm Quick Charge, so if you have the charger it will work with any compatible device.

5. Sankari

Sankari Member

Nokias are very popular in India, so it makes sense that they have a wide range of phones with tight price increments.

6. AmB

AmB Member

After a months' ownership of a Nokia 6.1 heres my take.
    As a phone its great.
    As a camera its ok
    As a device to pair to your other Blutooth devices its shit. Will pair and then drop connection immediately.
    After a bit of googling and trying umpteen "solutions" and suggestions, its evident Nokia has a shit implementation of Bluetooth on all its phones running AndroidOne, and no real fix on the horizon. Seems like they broke it from Android 8 to 9.

7. power

power Member

i find this odd, i haven't had anyone complain about the bluetooth (mine all live in trucks and most of them use BT).

8. AmB

AmB Member

maybe I'm one of the many unlucky ones, theres others out there with the same issue.

What phone are you using, android version, bluetooth version of the device you are pairing to?

9. Sankari

Sankari Member

Never had any Bluetooth problems with my 6.1, and haven't had any with my 6.1 Plus. Both rock solid.

My 6.1 Plus is running 9.0 Pie AndroidOne, with Bluetooth AVRCP 1.4.

Bluetooth connects instantly and reliably to:

* the bluetooth dongle on my home stereo
    * my ASUS Zenwatch 3
    * my car stereo

10. mtma

mtma Member

Google messed around with BT in Android Pie and hammed up a bunch of previously working fine stuff, mostly to do with the earliest profiles. For example I can get A2DP to work with my old car stereo but the handsfree profile won't work even with developer options.

11. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I only need a cheap phone, and since my Huawei Y6 went through the washing machine yesterday, I picked up a Nokia 3.2 from Big W unlocked for $189 today. First thing it did when I turned it on was update Android One to version 9.

Hooked it up to my google account and my contacts all came back instantly, that was a relief.

I'm still messing with it, as you do when you get a new phone :lol: but thus far I am very impressed with it for the price. Feels snappy enough.

Voice recognition is excellent - I've never bothered talking to my phone before but its just so easy to 'OK Google'. A better experience than I have had with any phone ever in that regard, most of them have had me repeat myself a million times but this one gets it right first time, every time.

Camera is meh but good enough. Lots of options but meh quality. Neither great or awful.

Face recognition isn't great but it wasn't with the Y6 either. Not really bothered, I have no issue with entering a PIN.

Screen looks good, sharp and bright. Build quality and appearance is fine. Nice big screen, the whole phone is substantially larger than the Y6, without going to phablet extremes.

I don't use NFC, not even sure if this thing has it but it's irrelevant for me.

First impressions are very good. Online reviews tell me that as a light user, I will get probably 3 or 4 days per charge. Can't complain about that!

The only real complaint I have so far is no bloody USB C. If you can't give me USB C, then give me Qi charging. Its nearly 2020 FFS, micro USB needs to be gone.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  12. Sankari

Sankari Member

USB C was a big part of my reason for upgrading from 6.1 to 6.1 Plus.

The microphone on these Nokias is just superb. I regularly use mine for recording, and the quality impresses me every time.

13. kooksyau

kooksyau Member

So the USB C port on my 7 plus shit itself in the Nokia way, 6 weeks out of warranty. Anyone know the current state of whether they'll fix it because of Australian consumer Law, or am I shit out of luck?

14. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

should be covered by statutory warranty

might take a bit of effort on your part though

15. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Where'd you buy it from?

16. kooksyau

kooksyau Member

Great! I don't mind putting in a bit of effort.

Harvey Norman.

17. power

power Member

HN, couldn't be easier. they capitulate well now since they got slapped a few times.

18. kooksyau

kooksyau Member

Awesome, thanks.

19. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

20. archie

archie Member

mine is starting to jiggle a lot now... time to upgrade to the....Mi 9T