1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Nokia is finally back, and it's looking good!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by StreekG, Aug 2, 2017.

1. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

Yeah my wife's was having issues with usb in the car on hers. Ditched it for a pixel 3 when they were 50% off

2. archie

archie Member

If only pixels were dual Sim

3. spludgey

spludgey Member

Can't wait to get rid of my Nokia 8.
    Just dreadful cameras for a two year old flagship!
    Mate 20 Pro, here I come!

4. rabih1978

rabih1978 Member

Didn't pixel 2 and thereafter come with standard sim and esim

5. Zee

Zee Member

Nokia 6.2 for $299 at JB at the moment... Seems like a reasonable price. The dual sim is pretty much what is winning me right now, getting very sick of swapping my sims around...

Z...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  6. BitAddict

BitAddict Member

Yes but that's not a true dual sim solution because you can't use one Sim for data and another for calls etc. Only one sim can be active at a time.

I've got a GoogleFi account for international roaming but sadly that disables my Telstra Sim and means I can't receive calls/texts, so I kept my old pixel 2 as a wifi hub when I got my pixel 4.

Edit: this prompted me to read up on it again and it sounds like the pixel 3 and 4 actually do have dual Sim dual stand by - pretty cool!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  7. StevOz

StevOz Member

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/...ts-looking-good.1227224/page-17#post-18198753

Still liking my Nokia 7 Plus just recently updated to Android 10. Isues have been few, the occasional bluetooth connection problems, an update seems to have fixed that issue as it hasn't occured for months now and just before the Andriod 10 update the touch screen would just stop working on occasion and an off/on was required to fix it, thus far with Android 10 it's been all good, so hopefully it's fixed.

Sure the camera(s) could be better and newer phones obviously have better options, still it does me fine I'm not a happy snapper and generally just use the camera for reference shots.

8. archie

archie Member

yes, also beyond my budget of ~$500/handset

Mi9T going well.

got my USB-C ports fixed on my 2x Nokia 7+ by the official Nokia store in India, for ~AU$57/handset
    now they can get handed down to the parents :)

9. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

did you get the regular or the pro Mi9T?

thinking about upgrading/side grading from an S9+ and offloading it to the wife

10. archie

archie Member

i got the regular as i don't game and value better battery life (6GB 128GB)

after using stock android for so long (nexus 5, nokia 7+) miui was a little annoying.
    installed nova launcher to solve most of the UI complaints.

Stooge007 likes this.
  11. grrrr

grrrr Member

My wife got the Mi9T Pro. She likes it, I like it. The in screen finger print scanner is good. She almost never uses the selfie camera so that has been fine as well. The other cameras are 'good'. The large battery lasts all day no worries. My wife isnt a gamer though...

12. mtma

mtma Member

Thinking of moving on my 6.1 too, it hasn't been a bad phone except for the earpiece volume dropping to useless, which seemed to be a Pie update theme.

It irritates me, it hasn't killed anyone yet but I would have tossed the phone out if I actually had to make calls more often.

Actually looking back on it I think it would have been a better phone without the Pie update.

13. Sankari

Sankari Member

Still very happy with my 6.1 Plus. I wish it had OLED, but that's my only complaint.

Hoping the update to 10 arrives soon.

14. mtma

mtma Member

I just updated to 10 yesterday.

Haven't thoroughly checked it but it seems to have migrated smoothly.

15. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Disappointed with my 3.2 . Vanilla Android isn't as intuitive as I expected, Color OS on my old Oppo RS11 was far superior. Google Assistant has excellent voice recognition though on the 3.2, that's a plus.
    For some reason the phone will connect with the aftermarket HU in the car for handsfree, but doesn't share my phonebook which is annoying. I can receive calls handsfree no problem but to make calls I have to dial using the phone. I've not had that problem with any other phone.

I'd rate the Nokia 3.2 at 4/10, the Huawei Y7 (didn't survive a cycle through the washing machine :lol: ) it is replacing was better, 5/10.

The Oppo RS11 prior to that, which I managed to run over with the car, was far superior to either of them. I'd give the Oppo 8/10 (maybe even a 9, I really liked Color OS, the screen was fabulous and the cameras all pretty decent) and Eva's Galaxy A5 6/10.

The only saving grace for the Nokia is Google Assistant, her A5 won't run that. Oh, and that it was cheap, half the cost of her A5. Google Assistant is great, very impressed.

Camera is meh, not great but kinda OK. If I want a half decent pic though I have to use her A5. I wish the Nokia had USB C too, the A5 does.

The 3.2 is OK, I'll keep it for now, but if it shits the bed I can't see me getting another Nokia at this point.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  16. mtma

mtma Member

If it's just the UX you could try a different launcher. I moved to Microsoft Launcher as I wasn't liking Pie.

17. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm not very savvy when it comes to phones. I don't use them for much more than calls and text, and the occasional photo. I'm not sure I could successfully root the phone without bricking it. I might give it shot one day if I'm bored and need an excuse for a new phone :lol:

18. mtma

mtma Member

Nah you don't need to root your phone to load a different launcher, it's pretty much an app that replaces the Google default launcher.

19. clonex

clonex Member

windows launcher isnt too bad, ive been using it a good 5-6 months.

Still nothing beats Nokia's Z-launcher but sadly they stopped developing it and seems its been removed from apps store

20. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member