Nokia is finally back, and it's looking good!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by StreekG, Aug 2, 2017.

1. archie

archie Member

India seems to be all about Xiaomi now

2. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Mum just bought herself a Nokia 5.4 to replace an old Samsung J530Y moslt because the battery is getting on rather than that it doesn't do what she wants. Will see how she goes with it.

3. Sankari

Sankari Member

Honestly, my 6.1 Plus is still great, I can't see any Nokia on the market that I'd want to replace it with.

I wish they'd introduce OLED screens, though.

4. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

18 months in and my Nokia 3.2 is dead. Well not dead, it works on handsfree, but the ringer and notification tones, vibrations etc are gone, so I don't know if someone is calling me or texting me unless i'm in the car, when of course it overrides music to ring through the speakers. No matter how many times I reset the volume to 100, the next time I look it's back down to zero. Even if I raise the volume, put the phone down, and call it, no vibration or sound issues forth.

No doubt some software glitch from an update, but it's a convenient reason to get a new phone. I'm bored with this one :D.

Weirdly, the timer/alarm etc and mp3 playback are fine.
    NFI how much warranty these things have but at 18 months I think I should be ok?

Any suggestions from the Nokia range at ~$500 ? Or should I shift camps now? 99% use case is calls and text, 50% of which is bluetooth hands free calls in the car. Remainder is minimal web browsing, and very occasional (such as now :lol: ) use as a hotspot. My data allowance of 2GB monthly is enough for my web use, put it that way.

Things that might tickle my fancy, at the right price, are NFC and wireless charging, but even more so - a half decent camera.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  5. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

2 year warranty?

6. Sankari

Sankari Member

7. Sankari

Sankari Member

Nokia X20 has been officially announced. It's one of the cheapest 5G phones available, and comes with three years of upgrades.

Sadly, tech reviewers have been underwhelmed by the overall experience.

The top and side bezels on this thing are thicker than the ones on my 6.1 Plus, the pixel count is lower (395 ppi vs 432 ppi) and it weighs a thumping 220g. You have to wonder what Nokia's game plan is right now.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  8. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

It actually looks like a reasonable contender for a phone to replace my faulty 3.2.
    • I don't really need a faster processor, the low power is actually a plus for me due to better battery life. Sure, if it was painfully slow that would bother me, but it appears on the videos to be smooth and fast enough for me, and low power use and a big battery are winners on my list.
    • The bezels and front camera hole don't bother me at all, nor does the weight.
    • I'm not fussed with the 'cheap plastic' appearance, I use a universal wallet style case anyway so the only bit usually visible is the screen face.
    • I don't do selfies or video calls, so the front camera is irrelevant to me, and the rear camera appears to be - adequate.
    • I like the screen size, though I'd prefer AMOLED and more pixels.
    • The potential advantages of 5G also appeal to me, but I'm really not sure why, again due to my limited use case :lol:. I do occasionally use my phone as a hotspot, so that's a potential advantage with 5G I guess - but then I'd potentially be limited by the phones broadcast speed anyway? I don't know the answer to that.
    • I do want NFC, which it has, so that's a definite plus.
    • I would prefer wireless charging, which it's lacking, but it at least has fast charging.
    Price is most likely the killer for me, since most of my usage is simply calls, text, and the occasional photo or short video. It looks like it would be between 550-650 bucks in Oz, which is probably more than I'd want to pay for my limited use case. If it came in at something between 3-4 hundred, I'd be locking it in I think.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  9. Sankari

Sankari Member

I would rather have AMOLED and wireless charging than NFC.

10. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I tend to agree. NFC is a 'nice to have' for me, but I keep my credit card in my phone wallet so all I currently do is hold my phone wallet up to the scanner anyway...

Sankari likes this.
  11. archie

archie Member

NFC is a must for me. Can happily do without wireless charging.

Had it in my Nexus 5 days, convenient but not life changing. I have quite a few cards so NFC has been a game changer

12. ThE_BiG_O

ThE_BiG_O Member

Speaking of the 2 year warranty, I recently had my Nokia 6.1's screen replaced for free under warranty after it no longer became responsive to touch 22 months into the 2 years :D :thumbup:

I still love the phone and have 2 of them with one as a back up. The quality of macro shots on the camera are incredible, screen quality is great and I'm still getting ~3 days battery life.

I tried upgrading to a 7.2 as a potential upgrade/replacement but only lasted a week before going back to the 6.1. Hated the aspect ratio of the screen and missed the 1920x1080 too much. The screen quality also seemed worse with colours not being as nice. It also couldn't do macro shots which is something that I really enjoy, especially when they're as good as they are on the 6.1.

Sankari likes this.
  13. Sankari

Sankari Member

The 6.1 and 6.1 Plus are both fantastic phones.

14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

My Nokia 3.2, which was pissing me off with regularly failing to ring when called, and make any notification sound when receiving texts, is now working fine again. I have NFI what was up its arse, but a return to factory settings a week or so ago seems to have it sorted.

Something interesting I discovered regarding warranty for those that are interested.....

There is indeed a 2 year 'extended warranty', but it ONLY APPLIES IF YOU BUY IT DIRECTLY FROM NOKIA. I bought mine in BigW, and in that case, it only has a 1 year warranty. Since the phone is 18 months old.. no warranty is applicable.

OK so now it's working fine again. IDC, I'm bored with it. It can head for the sales thread. It all appears to be functioning fine, is totally unmarked, so I should have no problem getting rid of it.

I'm never going to pony up the big bux for a high end phone, regardless of brand. I'm no power user. I am however spending a bit more on a new phone than I did for the Nokia. Goodbye Nokia. I gave you 18 months to please me but you never really let me past second base. I'm going to find a phone that lets me go all the way :D.

I've just bought a Samsung Galaxy A52 'Awesome Black' for 600 bucks. Straight from the Samsung store this time, and definitely a 2 year warranty. The kickers for me..

8GB RAM.
    128GB ROM (+ up to 1TB SD).
    Multiple decent cameras + 4K @ 30fps video.
    Amoled 1080x2400 display.
    USB C.
    NFC.

The only box it doesn't tick for me is wireless charging. Hey, you can't have ALL the good things when you only want to pay less than half the price vs. a flagship model :D. This one appears to be just about perfect for me, and only a little over my self imposed limit of 500 bucks... Although I would like to have wireless charging, it seems only high end phones have it, and I'm not prepared to pay a bunch extra just for that.

Also, I could have spent another 150 bucks and got the 5G version of the Samsung A52, but I just don't see the need for my use case. Seems like an awful lot extra for pretty much no extra features beyond 5G.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  15. rabih1978

rabih1978 Member

I have a 6.1 Plus keeping as a backup.
    Agree its a great phone

Sankari likes this.
  16. Sankari

Sankari Member

It just does everything well. I've considered swapping it out for a later model, but I can't find any other Nokia that delivers this much value with such a good range of features.

17. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I probably should have considered a higher end Nokia before buying the Samsung, but my experience with the 3 and then the 3.2 were pretty meh. I may yet try out a higher end version, my son has a candy bar and having just reconnected with him after nearly 18 years, I would love to do some video calls with him. I was just looking at the 6.1 at Dick Smith (a sales arm of Kogan these days I think?) and I was pretty surprised to see the price at $269. I swear they were more like 500 bucks or higher last time I looked?

I might have to pick one up for him, test driving it for a week or two before posting it :lol:. He might get the Samsung and I keep the Nokia yet.. :D. I doubt it though, I can't see a $270 Nokia being better than a $500 Samsung, but it might be a decent choice for him. OTH I have a perfectly good 3.2 here I'll no no longer be using in about a week or so, and he is 34 years old. If he wants something better he could always just buy it himself....

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience/recommendations for Nokia X20 @ about 500 bucks vs Nokia 8.3 for 600 bucks?

I'm impressed with the price of those Nokia 8.3's, with 5G @ $600. I know Samsung asks $150 premium for the 5G version of the A52 I just bought. I wouldn't consider 5G being worth an extra $150 to me at this point in time but if it comes for free I'm not averse to grabbing it.

Had I realised the 6.1 was that cheap I might have considered one rather than the Samsung. It's a big if though, the 3.2 never really floated my boat, and I've never disliked any Samsung product.

I'm seeing plenty of people talking about the 6 series, but not a lot about the 7,8 and X series. Why is this, are the higher end versions not as compelling in bang for buck terms?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  18. Sankari

Sankari Member

6.1 and 6.1 Plus have dropped a lot in price, which is crazy considering their exceptional value. They are massively underrated phones.

Honestly there is so little between them you might as well go for the X20 IMHO. But... there's also the 6.1 Plus.

[​IMG]

At the risk of sounding like a broken record I again recommend the 6.1 Plus as an exceptional phone for the money. I definitely would have tried one of those before going back to Samsung.

Correct. The 6 series is very hard to beat. I have no idea what Nokia was thinking with the 7s and 8s, they fumbled those phones pretty badly in terms of features vs price.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  19. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Well I did check out the 6.1 plus and at the price it seems good value. Unfortunately the only people with a 6.1 plus or even just a 6.1 in stock were random sellers that I didn't recognise. Clearly the 6.1 has now been superseded.

I bought my son an X20 instead, from the Nokia website for 600 bucks. Unfortunately I still won't be able to make an apples to apples comparison, as I was able to change my Samsung order this morning to a 256GB 5G A52 instead of the A32 I was going to buy (note that my previous post has been amended). For an extra $150 ($750 vs $600) I got a slightly bigger screen (6.5" vs 6.4"), 256 GB ROM (vs 128GB), 8GB RAM, 4K@ 30fps video(vs 1080P @ 30fps), and 5G(vs 4G). 5G and the 4K video were the primary reasons for this change, and 256GB ROM pushed me a little too. The 4K video is the cherry though, 5G and 256GB are nice to have but not really part of my use case as yet.

Still, the X20 looks like a decent buy, and I'll definitely check it out for a week or two before I send it to him :lol:. I can't see it being better than the Samsung but it's hardly a fair comparison with the Samsung being $750 vs the X20 @ $600.

I did buy both phones from the manufacturers website, Samsung and Nokia, having discovered the hard way with the Nokia 3.2 that buying from a reseller got me less warranty and inferior support (they basically told me tough titties, take it up with Nokia). Since there are no major savings to be had buying from a reseller I decided I'd just draw my water straight from the spring, so to speak.

Sad that I can't see an Amoled screen anywhere in the Nokia environment. Even with the X20, for 600 bucks, you would have thought an Amoled screen would be a given. I'll certainly take the price into account when comparing them though, but even the $500 Samsung A32 has a 1080x2400 6.4" Amoled screen.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Sankari likes this.
  20. Sankari

Sankari Member

Amoled and wireless changing are two things I desperately want to see in Nokia, and it makes no sense that they're not in the feature lineup when you remember that during the Microsoft years they had both.

if the 7s and 8s had had them (or at least one of the two), they could have been great phones.

I don't like the huge weight of these new Nokias. 150g is the sweet spot for me, and anything over 170g starts to feel clunky.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Ratzz likes this.