Nokia is finally back, and it's looking good!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by StreekG, Aug 2, 2017.

1. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Can confirm build quality - bloody cat knocked it off the bench onto tiles. Not a scratch. Bloody mongrel of a thing. Back into the drawer until the case comes :mad:

2. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

I went into JB today to play with a Nokia 6, and the display unit had died, which is quite ironic considering all the talk about build quality :). It is definitely well built, however I'm not sure it's any better than other Chinese phones of a similar price (Umi Z Pro for example) however while a lot now run a stock Android like the Nokia 6, they are unlikely to receive Android O. And as you can't buy them in Australia, except for Oppo (and ColorOS is a massive downside there) the Nokia 5 and 6 are certainly up there with the best value for money currently, especially if you value a stock UX.

I had a good play with the Nokia 5, for me that one is the best value proposition. The 720p screen is a better fit for the snapdragon 430 if you like to game. That said for general usage the 430 should have more than enough power to drive the 1080p screen in the 6. I just wish the 6 had something a little better like the Snapdragon 625, then it would be a no brainer.

3. Hater

Hater Member

I'm not convinced, as Windows Phone is half of what made the Lumias so good.

The HTC One M8 vs, The HTC One W8 was a perfect example of how much better the OS really was.

4. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I prefer Windows myself. I'm not a big app user though, I'm told that this is the big downside of Windows, but not for me.

5. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

had a play with it I presume...the phone that is...thoughts?

6. josh1990

josh1990 Member

I'm not a heavy mobile gamer, so I haven't tested any games yet. I've had no issue with any apps, loads them fast. I've had about 15 apps open and switching back to the first doesn't require it to reload (thankyou 4gb ram!) No input lag when texting (Which is a massive problem with the Oppo). Camera is not a Ziess, but seems ok so far. Definitely outshines the one I'm using. Fingerprint scanner for me is fine. Have set it to work off either of my thumbs. When setting it up, it takes a heap of touches so it gets the full print. You just have to flick a tiny bit of your print on it and it works. So no complaints about the scanner or it's placement. Haven't tried and music yet either. Anything else in particular?

7. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

Nope, cheers for the reply....sounds very tempting to me to be honest

The 8 sounds tempting to me, but unsure if I really need to climb that high up the ladder to be realistic....I don't do too much with my phone in reality

Camera, storage, low lag & decent screen are my main concerns....and regular decent updates

Camera is actually what I use most....I take lots of photos at work for evidence & information

8. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Battery life would be the only thing left to mention, based on your usage habits of course.

9. Sankari

Sankari Member

I'd expect the 430 to be light on battery power. That's at least one benefit of a low powered SoC.

10. josh1990

josh1990 Member

The 8 was too out of budget for me. I'd never use it as it deserves to be used. The camera will be a lot better on the 8 though, its just the cost you're prepared to go to. It seems to be vanilla android too, no bloat that I can find (unlike the oppo), so hopefully updates are fast to filter. I think I had about 4 to do when first turned on phone.

Well, I haven't been using it flat out so hard to judge yet. Its still sitting on over 40% and its been 48 hours :lol: Probably about 6 hours of fiddling with it to get it set up and surfing forums etc. The case showed up today so it'll be going to work with me tomorrow.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  11. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

To be honest, the more I think about it the more the camera is my main function...

And as you have hinted, I need to decide how much that is worth to me

12. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

Yeah the combination of low power CPU cores and the surprising frugal TSMC 28nm HPM node yields good results as far as battery life is concerned.

13. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Can confirm the Taggshield case and screen protector (tempered glass) fit perfectly. $14.99 delivered for case and 2 tempered glass screen protectors.

14. Sankari

Sankari Member

Nokia 8 review.

As expected, performance is outstanding:

15. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Looks like exactly what I want in a phone. Alright hardware and a flat vanilla Android experience.

16. wullieb1

wullieb1 Member

Anyone have the 8 yet? Thoughts?

Went into the local JB and they had none, apparently very little stock in Qld in general.

17. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

release date still middle of next week....hopefully something out in stores by then

am holding out replacing this G3 for now

18. wullieb1

wullieb1 Member

Yeah noticed that after i posted.

Had a play with the 3 and 6 and they both feel pretty darn good in the hand.

19. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

yeah, fall back plan is to just get a 6 in the interim

20. wullieb1

wullieb1 Member

6 felt nice. Seemed to run pretty decent as well, it was the demo so not real life.

If the 8 fails to please then i reckon i might just get the 6.