Nokia Lumia 1020

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by jastormont, Jul 13, 2013.

1. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Dropped into a Telstra store today and asked for availability - the shop girl went away and checked - 3 weeks.

So 21st or 28th October depending on how she counted.

2. StreekG

StreekG Member

Got my black 1020 today. So far it's nice, not a huge change from my 920, but i am working and all i've done so far is made some calls

3. StreekG

StreekG Member

Buzzing with life here in the 1020 thread :p
    So far my impressions are good, although i didn't realise i sacrificed my Qi wireless charging, but i love a good camera so i don't mind.

The 1020 is a little bit lighter which I noticed, the extra 1gb of ram is a welcome addition.

There isn't much else to say with the 1020 over the 920. The 920 was an amazing phone, what little improvements have been made, i've been happy with. The camera is noticeably better, i love it. Got some great shots.

I feel the need of a case though with the 1020, more so with the 920 because of the way this phone sits on it's back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Nice. :)

Would the case that enables the wireless charging for the phone substitute well enough as a case? Also, I think the weighty'ness feel of the 920 comes from the built in wireless charging - snap in the wireless charging case on the 1020 and it'll gain a bit of heft.

One more thing - what is your advice towards the 1020? If you're just coming to Windows Phone, the 1020 is the one to get? Aside from the stonking great most awesome camera on the 1020, is there any reason why anyone who already has a 920 would want to have to upgrade to the 1020?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  5. StreekG

StreekG Member

I wouldn't use it as an everyday case, maybe just have it in the case while i'm at home, as I used my wireless charging dock all the time with the 920.

You know what, it's hard to say, because I owned the 920 first, I loved it, so amazing, smooth and fast, also sexy. Now while I owned that phone and had some repairs done I bought myself a Lumia 620 to use. I was amazed that a phone which cost me $500 less felt almost as smooth and fast, I wanted to keep having the WP8 experience instead of some crappy phone just to get by.

I love the 1020 and would recommend it to anybody, but you just need to weigh up your options and what you need. You have 3 high end models to choose from. 920, 925 and the 1020, each with their advantages.
    With the 1020, you gain a great camera, gain an extra GB of memory, you also get Gorilla Glass 3. The only thing you miss out on is the wireless charging buillt in.

I upgraded from the 920 for the camera, also my 920 was starting to get pretty scuffed up, it's one slippery phone.

6. thrillhouse

thrillhouse Member

I like the way my 1020 sits on the table with the slight angle. Makes it easier to read.

Coming from an iphone it took me a day or so to get used to the bigger size but now when i handle an iphone it feels so tiny.

Since the only app that i used heavily on ios was whatsapp, i haven't had a problem switching to windows phone.

Anyone have suggestions for a car mount? The Nokia one looks good with qi ability but i would have to buy a $50 case to go with the $100 mount to make use of it.

7. armbarcrash

armbarcrash Member

After 4 years of Android, and 2 years of iOS before that, I've just bought a 1020.

It's my first Windows Phone mobile, and I'm quite enjoying the very different UI layout and physical presentation.

One thing I'm looking for is a good media player app with lots of supported formats? I don't mind paying a few bucks.

8. Digit

Digit Member

Not sure whether anyone else have seen this yet or not, supposedly it's been shot entirely with a Lumia 1020, which, if true and not just another Nokia stunt like last time where they used a professional camera, it's quite impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an4ySOlsUMY

9. loupseul

loupseul Member

Anyone receive a software update this morning? I'm wondering what thenchanges are. Google brings up not much information at all.

10. StreekG

StreekG Member

Not sure, no updates here for me, but i just realised i'm running gdr3 dev preview.

11. armbarcrash

armbarcrash Member

Anyone have any luck finding a stock Nokia firmware for the 1020?

Mine's Telstra branded, which isn't too bloated, but inevitably means I'll be months for the GDR3 update. If I ever get it...

12. StreekG

StreekG Member

Mine was telstra branded, it is no longer. I posted a thread on WP Central and this user posted a thread which helped me download an unbranded firmware and flash it also. Read all the comments in the thread so you know properly how to do it.

http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-l...a-firmware-without-navifirm-;-inc-1020-a.html

Once you've done that, go to this thread and get yourself GDR3 dev preview and enjoy new features early, it's great :)

http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-gdr3-preview/245358-gdr3-preview-live.html

13. armbarcrash

armbarcrash Member

Nice... Worked like a treat after I figured out the poster's broken english!

Ahh... Telstra is gone from my phone. They can go back to running a network (which they actually reasonably well) and leave the phone hardware alone!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  14. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

Just received my 1020 - couldn't be happier! My 920 was stolen one month after I got it and I fell back on an old iPhone 4, so it's refreshing to be back in WP land.

15. HellsAngel

HellsAngel Member

Have been using this for around 1 week and really like it so far :thumbup:

16. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

17. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

To those who have this phone, the 41mpix sensor - what size photos does it end up saving down into?

I'm contemplating switching my 920 over to one of these units because the camera is extremely alluring.

I read that it can save photos down to a 5mpix effective size also?

What specifics can be achieved with this phone? The zooming effect is an on-sensor zoom where the sensor crops in the effective recording area? Does it by default save to a full 41mpix picture size or can you change it save to the effective 5mpix image size?

Practicalities for my use would be probably to so some manual foot zooming, sensor crop zooming then have it ideally save as a 5mpix image so I can still get decent sized image files which can be printed to 5x7" at photo print places. I don't have any need for a full 41mpix resolution.

What else is different on this phone to the 920? Gorilla Glass 3, AMOLED screen and wireless charging achieved through a cover is what I read. GG3 vs GG2 is pretty simple to understand. What differences are there with the AMOLED vs IPS screen? Are there any colour washout or colour bleed effects? How well does the wireless charging cover fit onto the phone - it won't just pop out on its own accord or anything will it?

18. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

My country variant phone got the update to Windows 8.1 on the weekend. By read, Optus variants also have it. Telstra are dragging their heels.

Usability of Windows 8.1 is great. So much additional options in play to better understand how your phone is being used in terms of battery, storage, data and such. The new API options in 8.1 are also great.

Only been a few days so still coming to terms with the new update.

19. Tenoq

Tenoq Member

VPN & VoIP finally added! Windows phone definitely in contention for my next upgrade... that or another iPhone. :p

20. loupseul

loupseul Member

I got upgraded to w8.1 as well. Anyone got cortana? Mines still old boring bing page atm.