1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Nokia Lumia 920

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by vindicator, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Silent Remorse

Silent Remorse GAMING OVERLORD

Apparently WP doesn't resize because, well, it makes pictures look like shit - RE: iPhone MMS.

The 500kb limit is ridiculously stupid and arbitrary, and most likely a throwback to the early days when the average size of a picture was about 50kb.

2. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

I think the size limit might also have to do with something in relation to the actual SMS coding hark-backs. Remember, SMS technology is now 20 years old. Having to deal with legacy shit can make for a difficult series of compromises.

3. wild

wild Member

It's not so much a limit of the protocol - apparently it has to do with older WAP gateways and support for old 2G feature phones with basic WAP and MMS support. Telstra's MMSC server can't tell whether or not a destination phone can actually handle a 2Mb image, so it drops the message entirely just in case.

4. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Got my wireless charging stand today. Combined with alarm clock pro, my 920 makes a perfect alarm clock sitting on the stand. If only it would stream radio as my alarm.

5. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

I input the mms settings manually and it works fine.

6. TheContact

TheContact Member

How stable is the stand? Can you type and whatnot on it without it rocking or anything? NFC aspect looks a bit meh, though..

Just got a charging plate myself, and considering a stand for my desk at home, so I can show off my plate at work :p

7. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

The stand is pretty damn stable. I haven't tried, but I'm sure you could easily use the phone whilst it's on the stand.

My only gripe with it is that it only works in portrait mode. The phone won't charge in landscape mode at all.

8. hi_lectro

hi_lectro Member

I really want to get one of these, but a recent review said it was just really heavy.

Picked it up in store and it did seem a little heavy, but it's difficult to tell until you've actually used the phone for a few days. What do you people think after using it?

Also, is wp8 really that much better than wp7? I only really noticed the homescreen / tiles being more customisable. Also as far as message tones, they're not fully customisable either? (WTF microsoft!!).

9. wild

wild Member

I stopped noticing the weight after a couple of days. It's not really that big a deal.

WP8 is definitely better - I notice my Lumia 920 is much faster at pretty much everything than my GF's Lumia 800.

The lack of custom message tones is pretty much one of the only things I don't like about WP8, but I don't think I'd go back to Android just for that feature.

10. akashra

akashra Member

Any hints on good car chargers/cradles for the L920? Is there anything which integrates in such a way that has its own line/audio out jack so it can either take audio directly from the phone (via the microUSB port) or (less preferably) via the headphone jack?

11. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Weight wise, you notice it for the first day or two but then it's not something you care about anymore. 185g. Remember that. It's 185g. Your backpack weighs more than that.

The weight is only noticable when you have another phone around which you can compare the weight to, if you have nothing, and just reach out for the phone, grab it and start using it, the weight is a non-entity.

The tiles are fully customisable and re-arrangeable. Highly unlikely you'll get a similar tile layout to anyone else with a WP8 device. I have my phone, email and message tiles as small size grouped in a corner. People, Me and my wife's tile are medium sized. Only large tiles I have are Calendar and BBC News Mobile because it allows them to display additional useful information that I can get without needing to access the application itself.

Ringtones are customisable - just make sure it's <30 seconds duration. In WP7 there was a requirement that the MP3 tag of Genre was altered to "ringtone" for it to work. I don't know if this is still a requirement in WP8. I just dragged my previously made ringtone files into the Ringtone subfolder in the removable disc that showed up after plugging the phone in.

Message tones as mentioned before aren't customisable but I'm not overly fussed. It's just a message tone. You very quickly get used to which message tone is assigned to which alert.

WP8 is definitely better than WP7. There's a lot more personalisation and customisation options available for application developers to give you that stronger personalisation experience.

Only downer right now on the WP8 end is the bizarre loss of carrier network connection while still appearing as connected phantom thing. I'm hoping that the Portico update and the Nokia update that is due to be released this month will fix things up.
    http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-promises-lumia-920-update-this-month/

12. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

Anyone know if there's plans to add a screen orientation lock on an OS level?

13. wild

wild Member

Neither of these are a requirement anymore. I dragged and dropped a MP3 ringtone from my Android phone which is 40 seconds long with no genre tag. Works fine.

I'm noticing this quite a lot too. Some days it won't happen at all, and others it'll happen 2 or 3 times, which is kind of annoying. That said, I noticed plenty of similar bugs with Android phones when I first started using them, and I always hear about bugs with new iPhones and new versions of iOS, so I'm just putting it down to the pains of being an early adpoter.

14. matt_a

matt_a Member

I picked up my red Lumia 920 earlier today. After calling around every Telstra store within a 3 hour radius every second day for the last couple of weeks, I received calls from 4 different stores today confirming that they had stock of both the yellow and red (plus the black and white they've had for the last week) so it seems stock is finally coming through.

Its so shiny :D

15. wild

wild Member

I got a call from the Glendale store saying they got stock of the red 920, after I registered my interest about 2 months ago :lol:

16. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

I still haven't run into the issues people have been mentioning. No carrier signal drop outs (that I've noticed anyway) and no random restarts either.

I've been using my phone a lot lately too. I have to charge twice a day cause I've been using it so much and because of 4G eating battery like a pig in heat.

17. akashra

akashra Member

I couldn't see a Windows Phone 8 thread, so I'll just drop this here:

MSN App for Windows Phone 8. Does one exist?

18. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

MSN app? As in MSN Messenger?

If that's what you're referring to, then it's baked into the OS.

Messages > Swipe right > log in and you're dusted.

19. thecondor

thecondor Member

Hey does anyone know when dropbox the actual app will be available to windows phone?

It only has dropbox viewer atm, seems useless to me. And I use dropbox all the time.

20. 5p1k3y

5p1k3y Member

why bother when you have skydrive with 7gb free ?