Non booting laptop heads up (ASUS and possibly others impacted).

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by ruffdayz, Jul 5, 2019.

1. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

Just a heads up to anyone out there with a laptop (or who knows anyone with one).

Not sure if it impacts other operating systems (maybe not) but definitely Windows 10 is impacted.
    Not sure if it impacts other manufacturers but ASUS is definitely impacted.

Microsoft are pushing through compulsory installation of BIOS updates via Windows update. Recently one was released for ASUS laptops, and if installed and procedure not followed correctly, can lead to the laptop being bricked (powers on, no BIOS screen, no booting).

In the age of SSDs and data being stored locally, the issue could prove costly.

What has been happening is Windows is forcing down BIOS updates for laptops. User shuts down laptop (and of course the updates install at shutdown). Either the laptop battery runs out, or laptop goes into suspend (when screen is closed), or in some cases laptop reboots to commence BIOS update and user freaks out thinking (flash utility) is a virus, or they simply power it down at power button.

All innocent actions but the end result is the same. With ASUS laptops the system powers up, CAPS LOCK LED comes on, and that's it. Nothing on screen.

In most cases people will flip out and contact a tech, or think the laptops screwed and replace it. DO NOT DO THAT.

Contact the local ASUS Service Centre (or head in there), as they are well aware of this issue and are fixing it (even on out of warranty laptops).

In some cases they can reset CMOS/BIOS and reflash the laptop and get it working again.
    In other cases they are having to replace the motherboard/mainboard at their cost.

Again not sure if other manufacturers are impacted but from Google searching is appears it could be the case.

Issue appears to have surfaced mid June.

So fair warning to all, and huge thumbs up to ASUS (VIC) for coming to the party for customers on this one.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    Zippy7 and Agg like this.
  2. akromatic

akromatic Member

Oh thanks for headsup. Usually the first thing I do with any new win 10 system is to disable updates as its acts more like malware these days

ruffdayz likes this.
  3. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Only if you leave Windows able to Automatic Download Drivers.
    No thanks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  4. akromatic

akromatic Member

Auto driver download is whay makes it plug and play.

Windows 10 need to sort their shit and not forced updates and allow selected update or strictly security updates.

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

You have a source for this 'outlandish and wildly ridiculous claim'?

There is no way M$ would be 'pushing' BIOS to 'end clients' - a significant amount of legal ramifications right there as well as no access to the technical functionality of the units (IP would be in play here)!

I am calling utter fucking BS on this right here and now and some 'urban legend' dragged of reddit, FB or the like!

What is a BIOS?!? The answer to that will clearly show this is a BS show!

Win10 maybe corrupting some other function - but not the BIOS.........go and take long walk!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  6. OP
    OP
    ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

Is that relevant to firmware/bios updates as well, or only actual hardware drivers though?

Go call your local ASUS service centre. They are well aware of the issue and the place I took my customers into said they'd already fixed up about 6 or 7 that week with the same issue.

It's a firmware update that auto downloads and (at least for ASUS laptops) forces reboot and then loads EZFlash and updates the bios for v317

upload_2019-7-6_19-25-45.png

Bios version exists.

upload_2019-7-6_19-27-21.png

That's what pops up after reboot automatically IF it works correctly.

and if you'd read my post before jumping down my throat you'd have read this part.

7. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Apologies for the off-topic post, but.. far out. Why are you so angry all the time? Someone highlights a potential issue and you come in screaming like an angry toddler. Disagree or agree or whatever you like, but learn to express yourself without attacking people.

8. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

I've got three Asus laptops that have done this update in the last few weeks without issue.

9. darknebula

darknebula Member

Would like to see some evidence of this as well, I would be Very surprised if this were true

10. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Thanks for the PSA, but anyone on this forum is likely familiar with bios and (id hope) wouldnt panic or brick a system by powering it off mid flash.

I mean its not like bad firmware is being pushed out here, its no different to a phone OTA or any other windows update, in the sense that if you power it off mid way youre breaking it good and proper.

This really is normal stuff, it sounds to me like a PEBKAC issue more than anything :lol:

11. mtma

mtma Member

Well no, if the update is being pushed out like a windows update then I might have a reasonable chance of accidentally or un-knowingly letting it die. Like if I'm on the last few percent boarding a plane, there becomes a point where no fucks are given waiting for it to do its thing. Lid closed and in the bag.

For phone OTA's it has some pretty clear precautions before it commences the updates - like the user is required to start the process, have the battery charged to a certain state and plugged in to a charger. Whereas windows updates just do their thing whenever you shut down and boot your computer.

It still seems careless for an update like this to be pushed fully automatic; these laptops obviously don't have a shadow bios recovery mechanism for them to fail this way.

But then again careless and reckless has been consumer computing for over a decade now so it's not overly surprising.

12. power

power Member

i can see how this would happen lots and lots of people don't shut machines off properly so i can see noobs messing up their machines like this, that said - BIOS updates? Really MS.....?

13. OP
    OP
    ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

It was more a PSA for system admins out there who might have some of these in a fleet, or for those who might have parents or elderly folk with one.

Or simply for anyone in tech who might suddenly have a user reporting "my laptop won't turn on".

14. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Yeah, nah. Enterprise fleets use domain GPO with WSUS, and if doing their jobs properly are vetting updates as they become available on their backend.

Edit:
    Sorry i shouldn't be hating. If the update service doesnt have battery percentage prerequisites before permitting shutdown updates then thats a legit problem.

But beyond that is all fairly resonable stuff from my perspective

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  15. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

My new Asus laptop I bought yesterday decided to do a BIOS flash as part of the "we need to reboot your system for windows update" bs when I was setting it up. Straight into the flash, no "do you want to do this" or any warning. Just straight in. Was on power at the time so no big deal but I was a bit surprised I was given no choice or option to say "no, this is a bad time to install a new BIOS"

ruffdayz likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

Yep, this is exactly the issue I was talking about.

If you simply shut the lid and walked off, or freaked out and hit power button, you'd be in a world of hurt.