Noob polarizer question

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Power47, May 27, 2009.

1. Power47

Power47 Member

Hey people I'm off to the city for some shots and wondering if it's worth getting some polarizing filters? How much different to UV filters r they? Iv heard they good for middle of the day harsh light shots to get rid of glare and help contrast, which is what I'm after. Just want some advice and thoughts????????

2. baar01

baar01 Member

3. watchtherocks

watchtherocks Member

They're expensive, delicate, cost you light, and can't do anything photoshop can't do, save getting rid of reflections.

4. Lukey

Lukey Member

5. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

They're very different to UV filters. UV's give you little more than slightly bluer skies, whereas CP's remove glare which in turn enriches colours.

Wiki has some more info on them:
    Or just see the difference in a sample shot:
    [​IMG]

Most people notice the effect they have on skies - darkening the blue and making it more contrasty.
    But I also love the effect they have on plant foliage.

Very rarely do I shoot in daylight without one.

This is absurd.

Photography in general is expensive.
    Good quality CP's are not delicate, and can offer significant protection to even more delicate/expensive lens elements.
    They cost you a max of 1 stop of light, something you shouldn't be in short supply of in full blown daylight conditions (which is where they're designed to be operated.
    I would love to see a PS filter than can remove glare and reflections. If you can do this in Photoshop, then you should seriously consider teaching it:
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Lets stop hating and try to be a little more helpful guys... this isn't the pub.

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  6. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

Except that they're not that expensive in comparison to the $600+ version made by Cokin, and are just as delicate as every other type of filter out there, are very helpful in stopping light down if you don't have an ND, albeit not by much, boost contrast in camera without having to resort to using Photoshop (which is great if you don't want to spend time in PS), and get rid of reflections as you've already mentioned.

I personally consider my CPL's as compulsory kit. Whether they get much use or not.

*EDIT*

If you're a digital camera owner, UV filters are basically only useful for 'protecting' the front element from unwanted crap like dust/ocean spray. They serve no purpose in blocking UV light as most digital sensors are not as succeptible (sic) to UV as film was.

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  7. OP
    OP
    Power47

Power47 Member

To the people who replied with links, advice and info your help is hugely appreciated. Thankyou :)
    Looks like what I thought they would do, reason I asked is cos they info I'd found and been given was quite all over the place, this clears it all up.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2009
  8. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Guys if you don't want to answer the questions just hit the back button please.

9. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

I love my CP filter.. Most of them rotate, so you can 'dial up' how much of an effect you want. As Arch-Angel said, its not just skies that benefit from having this on the lens - Plant leaves become much more green as a result of the reduced glare.

I used mine up at Seaworld recently and it made a huge difference in all the photos which involved water - I was able to see down in the water clearly, which wouldn't have been possible without it.

10. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

remember also that it might be tricky to use one if your lens also rotates when you zoom as that will change the polariser effect and can be bothersome to check it everytime u zoom.

ie best used for lenses that rotate internally or dont rotate at all :D

11. GOATMAN!!!

GOATMAN!!! Member

I bought a 67mm CP online for $14, not expecting much...

It turned out to be the best bang for buck improvement to my photos I've ever spent IMO.

Get one. :)

12. ChaoS-GoD

ChaoS-GoD Member

Where? :shock:
    Even Hoya filters are like $100 a piece! :(

13. GOATMAN!!!

GOATMAN!!! Member

From Here: http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.cpl

I got a massa one. Look, it's obviously not great quality, but I still get less flare than with my hoya 'Green' UV filter lol. I just saw it and thought 'why not?' For $10 US, and free shipping, you can't really go wrong. :)

I've ordered a heap of stuff from that site. All turns up reasonably quickly. Lots of it is counterfeit stuff I think though. Not sure how you'd pick a fake filter, but yeah, it works fine anyway.

14. redav

redav Member

Yup. Effectively reduces unwanted reflected light and naturally increasing the saturation of the scene.

15. manic311

manic311 (Banned or Deleted)

Just be careful with those massa HK filters, I once bought a UV filter to protect my lens and it ruined the image quality so much I thought my lens was buggered, few test shots after revealed it was the damn filter!

16. ChaoS-GoD

ChaoS-GoD Member

Not too bad for $11. If worst comes to worst, I just paid $11 for a "screw on" lens cap! :lol:
    Hmmm... They don't have any 82mm ones though (sigma 24-70). I'm definitely not getting a cheapass 77mm filter, since half of the decent lenses out there are 77mm, so investing in one and it can be used on so many more.

17. seer_claw

seer_claw Member

Have you been reading Ken Rockwell recently. I know a post of his commented on this recently and you have to take everything he says with a grain of salt (or maybe the salt shaker)

18. yangby

yangby Member

What are the 2 different filters here?

We've got the UV filter .. what's this CP you're talking about?

19. ChaoS-GoD

ChaoS-GoD Member

20. OP
    OP
    Power47

Power47 Member

got my CP filters, they r dope. amazing sky colours, greens, makes pretty much everything on a sunny day look better, well worth it.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: