[NOOB] Ubuntu 7.04 or Ubuntu 6.06 LTS

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Harper:ToV, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Harper:ToV

Harper:ToV Member

I am looking at trying to have another shot at Ubuntu again.

I have noticed that there is
    Ubuntu 7.04
    Ubuntu 6.06 LTS

Ubuntu 6.06 LTS has support until 2009
    Ubuntu 7.04 only has support until 2008

Why is this so? Apart from longer support, is there any reason why I would want to chooise the older version over the newer version?

2. Crinos

Crinos Member

LTS is for people that need GUARANTEED support for a period of time(ie corporate systems). It's pretty pointless for home systems, since you're much more likely to want new versions of software(if not even bleeding edge new versions) on your home computer.

Keep in mind there's a new version going to become stable in a month's time(7.10), so I'd recommend either install 7.04 and upgrading in a month or so, or else install 7.10 now(technically it's alpha, but it's rapidly stabilising and is very usable at the moment, I have it installed at work and at home).

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Word is that 8.04 (April, 2008) will be the next LTS release.

Remember too that LTS releases get 5 year support for "server packages" only (ie: server kernels, packages like poxtfix mail, apache web server, samba file server, etc). "Desktop packages" (gnome, kde, open office, etc) only get 3 years support.

Canonical (the company responsible for Ubuntu) have said that their aim is to produce an LTS release every 2 years.

As Crinos mentioned, LTS releases are a neat idea for people who have corporate systems, or web-facing boxes (firewalls, web servers, etc) that will require up-to-date security patching.

Desktop users will generally want the latest stable release instead, as that usually means a newer kernel, and better support for new hardware.

4. noboundaries-au

noboundaries-au Member

If youve got a relatively new pc go for the newer version as older kernel versions wont support your hardware. Hell my new system wont even install 7.04 (i didnt try any command line compatibility switches to force it to work though).

Anyway regardless, the 7.10 beta will be out in a week. Wait till then and get it (unless you wanna eat a gig of net usage for 700MB alpha 5 disk, and 300ish meg of upgrades to current).

5. brodsta

brodsta Member

Personally, I would recommend to just install Feisty (7.04) and be done with it, any extra configuration it requires over 6.06 (E.g. fglrx drivers etc.) is minimal.

As already mentioned in the thread also, Feisty will have the latest hardware support etc. when compared to Dapper. Watch out for those dodgy serialmonkey Ralink RT25xx Legacy drivers though. ;)

6. Witch

Witch Member

Just two days ago I lost hours wading through that exact problem. I ended up abandoning Feisty - I just don't have time to figure it all out (also, my information-searching skills are deplorable and I couldn't really find out what to do to fix it). What actually happened there? I still don't get it.