Noob XBOX360 Q

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by MATTATHOME, Jun 12, 2009.

1. MATTATHOME

MATTATHOME Member

Hi, this is a noob question and google has turned up conflicting responses.

What I would like to know is, the current Arcade Version, does it have a HDMi connector on the rear?

Google suggests that some Arcades have it, but others do not. I would like one that does. The girl at Hardley Normal would not open the box to check and said I have to buy a Pro/Elite version to get HDMI.

The box of the PRO shows each version of the 360, and under the ARCADE it says that for HDMI an extra cable is required. So I would deduct from that that it would have the port , but not a supplied cable.

So I am confused. I mainly want a games machine for the kids and a media extender for me.

Thanks

MATT

2. TaXy DriVar

TaXy DriVar Member

I got my Arcade about 1 year ago now .. and it has an HDMI port, but it did not come with a cable.

I got a cable the other day and it works fine.

3. Mark-D

Mark-D Member

i got my arcade in october last year and it had hdmi

i think you can safely assume that you'll get an hdmi version. if in doubt go to jb or powerhouse i'm sure they'd let you open up the box to check its hdmi

the box you saw would have an hdmi console since it says that you can use a hdmi cable but it is sold as an extra accessory.

4. OP
    OP
    MATTATHOME

MATTATHOME Member

Thanks guys.. I think I will jsut pressure t hem to open the box and show for sure.

MATT

5. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Xbox 360 arcades started getting HDMI a couple of years ago (almost) so unless you get some really, really old stock...it should have HDMI.

It should state it on the box..you may be able to see the connector through the little window in the Xbox 360 packaging to allow the barcode/serial number.

6. SamboSelecta

SamboSelecta Member

Sorry to bump an old thread, but another noob question.

Just purchased a pro pack from EB on the weekend and it came with the component cable i think (6 plugs). Is there any difference between it and a HDMI cord in terms of visuals on my TV or are they virtually the same? Just wondering if i needed to pick up an actual HDMI cable.

Cheers

7. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Yeah I'm pretty sure HDMI will provide a noticable difference over component. If you are doing audio over HDMI you can safely just pick up any cheap HDMI cable you find.

8. SamboSelecta

SamboSelecta Member

Cool thanks man. Probably should have clarified the main telly it will be played on is a 50' panasonic plasma. Will go grab a hdmi cable tomorrow

9. grazhopa

grazhopa Member

i'd bebloody suprised if you noticed a difference. the big difference is that the hdmi boxes are the newer boxes which dont die as often.

and you can tell by having a look through the window at the top of teh box and seeing the power specs (without opening the box).

i posted the number in another thread here...cant recall off the top of my head.... have a quick google for it if you care.

10. Segression

Segression Member

id say you would be so unlucky to get an old 360 somewhere (though i know one place locally that still has a 2006 arcade sitting in their room in a beat up old box ..they offered it to me when i bought most of their 360s when they had a huge sale on arcades last year) Most if not all of 360s will be the newer hdmi models, weather or not you get a falcon or jasper is another question.

its understandable they dont like opening them, some retailers will for the sake of the customer but i think its rude to assume they will break the seal on a new item. There is a hole on the side of the box with all the information you will need to buy a 360, you may have to press down on the box to see all of the sticker on the 360. If its after late 2007 it has hdmi, if its after marchish 2008 it has a lite on drive which is better, and if its after late dec 2008 its most likely a jasper. All have hdmi. and no cables arent included. but you can get a 7dollar hdmi cable from chinktown off ebay, i have one and its worked fine for 2yrs.

Good luck with your 360 purchase and enjoy it

11. SamboSelecta

SamboSelecta Member

Hey Seg,

If you were replying to my little thread hi-jack cheers and I’ve already purchased my 360, it’s a jasper version with hdmi capability. My question was more based around if there was a noticeable visual difference on a 50’ plasma with 1080i between the original component HD cable supplied in the box or a actual HDMI cable. Graz suggested the difference wouldn’t be noticeable so as of now I think ill just stick with the original cables which came in the box and save some cash.

If you were replying to the OP, nps and carry on :p

12. Segression

Segression Member

i was just tossing my 11.95 into the thread about buying xboxs and not knowing which have hdmi. wasnt thinking about the component question. I've never used the compo cable. only RCA and hdmi, RCA is total garbage and hdmi is beautiful.

if u wanna use the compos with the xbox go for it, though for under $10 posted to your door why not try hdmi yourself hehe

13. Scorpion121

Scorpion121 Member

14. seamer

seamer Member

We drive 60 inch screens at work, and there is no discernable difference when running in HDMI/Component for the games we've had that support it. Most titles we get only go up to 720p, more for compatibility with the majority of TVs than anything else (and fewer supported resolutions equals a shorter development timeframe). For a game to natively support 1080, it would have to be a triple-a title that's going to be a long time in dev anyway - we wouldn't expect it in a $10 psn/live title.

Once there are more 1080p/i screens in the home, then more games will support it, so I wouldn't be too anal about the highest rez's right now. Component is fine.

Beats the red/white/yellow cables at the very least :)

15. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

I picked up my Xbox in late November 2006, just before the new revision with HDMIs came out.... so should have waited the extra week(s). [Pro model that is, but I'm pretty sure Arcades were rather close to that date too.]