Noosa Triathlon and Noosa Multi Sport Festival

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by disci, Nov 5, 2009.

1. disci

disci Member

Hi all

The Noosa Multi Sport Festival and Noosa Triathlon were held last weekend. Including a few touristy photos, I took 2,900 pics, so whittling that number down to a small representative sample of 10 pics of the weekend was 'fun'. So, what follows is an attempt to give a brief cross-section of the weekend, (rather than a '10 of the best').

1. Multi Sport Festival, Saturday 31-10-2009
    a) Bike Trials
    [​IMG]

Full bike trials gallery here.

b) Women's "5km Bolt" and Men's Cycling Criterium
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Full gallery for Women's "5km Bolt" and Men's Cycling Criterium here. However, I'm not really happy with many of those shots, so if you're in a hurry, I'd probably prefer you check out the final link at the bottom of this first post, showing the bike & run legs of the triathlon :) :).

2. Noosa Triathlon, Sunday 1-11-2009

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Full gallery showing the preparations, swim leg and transition out of the water to the bikes, here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Full gallery of the bike leg and run leg combined, here.

Regards

D

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  2. JohnnoD

JohnnoD Member

These look a bit more like happy snaps. I think your composition needs a bit of work (like cutting off people's heads, arms, legs) etc.

Apart from that, colours/exposure looks good. I can't really comment too much as I'm using a shitty monitor at work..

3. xhanatos

xhanatos Member

overall good photos :thumbup: cropping/composition can be improved though.

4. OP
    OP
    disci

disci Member

Thanks for looking guys.

I must confess that composition wasn't foremost on my mind when I tried to decide what to put up here. You have given me a good reminder of its importance. My priority was more to give a cross-section of what the weekend entailed, and as such the posting may have been more appropriate for the Sport, Fitness and Health Topic section.

I wasn't happy with any of my shots in the 5k bolt and criterium gallery, so those two were thrown in for the above reason.

I took 224 photos of the swimmers leaving the water headed for the bikes, but I put in photo number 5, even though his right arm was cut off, because it was almost the only one of the 224 where the athlete had an animated/'jube' 'body expression'/facial expression. Fortunately most of the others in that gallery don't suffer from the arm-cut-off problem :).

The problem with legs cut off in photos 7 and 9 was partially due to the yellow plastic fencing inside of which the runners had to stay. I had taken plenty the previous year from the other sie of the road (unencumbered by the fencing), so this year I didn't want other locations to stop me from taking shots of the runners as they returned.

I chose photo number 8 because it was particularly clear and the guy looked fit (again, innocently forgetting composition). Happily there are plenty of other cycling shots from that vantage point without chopped limbs.

As for the chopped legs in the final photo, I guess I'm hoping that one school of thought is that it's ok to chop off legs if it's a 'jube' photo, i.e., jubilation, where the person's face or upper body is the most important part of the shot. (If this is the case, maybe number 10 could be re-cropped as a landscape...)

Again, thanks for looking - I appreciate it.

Regards

Des
    EDIT: Here's the link to the 2010 Noosa Triathlon Event gallery, containing all the individual photo galleries for each event. Des

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  5. PrinceCharming

PrinceCharming Member

I like the composition of the third last one :)

Some of the running shots (last 3 running shots) look a little tight on the framing. I'd give them a little more room where they can have space they can run into

6. Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

Swim to bike transitions can be very boring photos to take so I can understand why you put that particular one up. What you need to try and do if its possible is get down to the actual water and shoot them coming out, when they are putting in the big goose steps to get out of the water.

Always good to see a gallery of fit lookin women but :thumbup: :lol: