North Bridge, South Bridge and overclocking - q6600

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Cytec, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Cytec

Cytec Member

Hey guys,

I got a q6600 running at 2.8ghz fsb of 1245 with memory running at 880mhz 4-4-4-12 timings.

Im at a stage where i just cant stop overclocking :) and want to push it a little further (preferably without damageing it) I try to overclock past 1260fsb and it wont start. Then i tried raising the vcore a little and got to about 1270.

By this time im getting a little annoyed with resetting the cmos as one does, and i thought i would try setting the Asus Striker Extreme motherboard to auto adjust voltages on the south bridge, north bridge and the vcore. BINGO! i got it to what ever i wanted the fsb to go to (i stopped at 3ghz).

however i thought the motherboard had chosen voltages a bit above what i believe should achieve 3ghz. I think the problem had to do with the north bridge as the south bridge voltage remained stock when i tried to oc (i think). What is the north bridge and is it dangerous to raise the voltage?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  2. 16c_Killer

16c_Killer New Member

Check your CPU:RAM ratio. I think it's out of whack.

Should be 1:2 ---> your CPU 266 x 9 / RAM 266 x 2

You should comfortably get CPU 333 x 9 = 3GHz / RAM 333 x 2 = 667

*Edit: I believe this can be done at stock voltage, otherwise, bump CPU Voltage to 1.3V.

Would someone correct me if I'm wrong here, I haven't got the Quad yet, still on my Pen D 945.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  3. Omarko

Omarko Member

check your mem divider ... looks like you are only at 311 FSB ... that CPU should easily do 333FSB x 9 at stock volts

have you locked your PCIe and PCI ? if not, you are automatically overclocking these and that could be a reason why you can not go above your current overclock.