NOS Amiga CD32 unboxing!!!

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Draxx, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Draxx

Draxx Member

As per my post in The Amiga thread, I've finally gotten around to unboxing my NOS Amiga CD32 games console. That's right I've managed to leave it untouched in the box for nearly 4 months! LOL

This CD32 was one of 24 that were advertised for sale on AmiBay. I understand that they were discovered in a warehouse in the Phillipines and were purchased and shipped to Belgium.

I purchased mine for 135€ plus 170€ shipping via FedEx! All up about $420 was what it set me back

Anyway, without further ado, here are the pics...

First up is the front of the box, a little beaten from its long journey from Belgium, but not a big issue.
    [​IMG]

Then the back of the box..
    [​IMG]

Then the internal packaging..
    [​IMG]

Open Sesame!
    [​IMG]

The manuals and Oscar/Diggers CD that shipped with the CD32
    [​IMG]

Close up of the manuals..
    [​IMG]

The CD32 itself lurking beneath, in its plastic bag!
    [​IMG]

European PSU, A/V cables and gamepad..
    [​IMG]

There's the controller - these weren't all that good and would wear out quickly..
    [​IMG]

It's out of it's bag now!
    [​IMG]

The rear ports - Power switch, power socket, RF-out, S-Video, Composite and Audio ports..
    [​IMG]

The whole kit out of the box..
    [​IMG]

Close up of the included Diggers/Oscar CD..
    [​IMG]

Close up of the power supply specs..
    [​IMG]

Bottom of CD32 console..
    [​IMG]

Serial number and other details..
    [​IMG]

Build date - nearly 18 years young!
    [​IMG]

Before this unit was shipped to me, I requested that the seller open the box and test it for me, and he did a great job of putting everything back as it was.

I have not yet fired this one up - that will happen in the next few days. In the meantime I've been trying to get a couple of extra's working on my used CD32 - a Paravision SX-1 addon module and a DCE SX32 Mk1addon module.

Both of these enable the CD32 to function as a complete Amiga 1200, when connected up with a hard drive, keyboard and floppy. I believe my problems are power related, so I'm converting a standard ATX power supply first to test this. I also have a spare CD32 mainboard on its own, so I'll test the modded PSU on that to save the complete unit... (Should I do a separate worklog on that, or just post it in this thread?)

Stay tuned...

EDIT: Additional photos and for sale thread!
    Here are the photos that the seller had posted of all the CD32's in their boxes! And here's the sale thread itself on AmiBay

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  2. power

power Member

did it still have "new console" smell?

3. OP
    OP
    Draxx

Draxx Member

Certainly did! As you can see in the photos, it still has the protective plastic over the logo and the window of the CD drive.

I'll try to get a video of it running when I eventually plug it in...

4. power

power Member

I'd be keeping it in the box after the official running it.

I mean an example like that 18 years old.... it's sacrilege to do anything but store it.

5. OP
    OP
    Draxx

Draxx Member

While I do agree with that, it's also sacrilege to spend over $400 on a console to not play it - it's like buying a GTHO and never driving it!

But, since I have an already used one, and a spare motherboard for one, I think it will live in it's box for quite some time :)

6. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Im actually drooling a little bit here, you'll have to excuse me.

7. @rt

@rt Member

Nice one, I've owned two of these at different times of my life, loved Pinball Illusions.
    Good luck finding a second controller ;)

8. Kow

Kow Member

haha i have a CD 32 sitting in my cupboard, with HDD extention ! I just lost the controller so ..... yeh .. it just sits there.

9. OP
    OP
    Draxx

Draxx Member

Got that covered already - bought one I found on ebay before I even got hold of a CD32 :)

Sega Master System/Mega drive controllers work well on the CD32, so get it out of that cupboard right now - Also, if your expansion has a battery, make sure it's not leaking, otherwise it will end up dead eventually.... If it is leaking, remove it and replace with either an Nimh or coin type battery with diode....

10. breech

breech Member

Ah I'm jealous. I backed out of buying the last one because of damage to the packaging but I will be happy with picking up a used one eventually.

11. adz

adz Member

Awesome :thumbup:

Never had the pleasure of owning a CD32, though I always used to play Pinball Fantasies on one at good old Maxwells in Abbotsford. I've heard rumours that there is a warehouse in India chock full of NOS A1200's and CD32's.

12. @rt

@rt Member

Sorry to stray a little OT but Pinball Fantasies and Pinball Dreams are both available on the iphone,
    and they are very true to the originals bar a little more colour.

Re the CD32, I know you probably don't want to mod yours, but it is possible to
    get a real (Amiga Style) analogue RGB output from the edge of the PCB at the
    back of the unit,
    I think on the old Amiga (500, etc) it was a 23 pin D connector.
    Worked a charm with the original 1084S monitors.

13. OP
    OP
    Draxx

Draxx Member

Yeah, I was reading up on that last night - I'm not going to mod mine, and actually I dont need to anyway, due to having the SX1 and SX32 expansions, both of which have the 23pin output already.

14. syxx

syxx Member

this is amazing :)

15. Wolfje

Wolfje Member

Does anyone else think that it kinda has the same dimensions and similar design to a PS3?

Looks real similar to me. :Paranoid:

16. FuzzyKaos

FuzzyKaos Member

LOL looking at it now, it looks like a cheap piece of garbage... but how I lusted after it back in the day, spending HOURS in Myers playing with it until the staff would shoo me away.

17. OP
    OP
    Draxx

Draxx Member

It might "look" like a piece of garbage, but at least it doesnt suffer from the same issues such as XBOX 360 & PS2/3's :)

No RROD or YLOD here!

I fired up my used one earlier today, with the SX32 which has 8MB RAM and a 1.5GB 2.5" IDE drive, and it ran really well. SysInfo shows it running 2.5x faster than a stock A1200 :D

18. BuD

BuD Member

man i had 1 of these when i was young. i recall not alof of games caem out for it thoguh :( once this dies off and my amiga 500 i hit the PC realm

19. shadowman

shadowman Member

I've got a Commodore 64 at home, completely packaged with little protective stickers on it still. Was unboxed many years ago, played, then placed back in its box and kept for posterity. I'm either going to leave it in my will for my grandchildren, or donate it to a museum :p

I also have a boxed Donkey Kong Game & Watch which I scored off eBay, thinking it was a bargain, til I realised the serial numbers on the unit and the box don't match, its been boxed with a box from elsewhere :-(

I love retro hardware, always scouring eBay/Cashies for old Game & Watch.

20. alch

alch Member

Best part is the PSU... Commodore :D <3

PS. Unboxing.. This has been repackaged :p .. Controller comes in a sleeve too im 99% sure ;p