Not sure if I should buy TN or IPS

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Azer1234, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Azer1234

Azer1234 Member

Hi all,

Hopefully some of you can help with my decision. Have been looking at upgrading the Dell U2711 for a while, and the time has come.

The 2 models im interested in are ASUS pg279q and pg278q. Not an asus fanboy so im open to other suggestions also, but id like gsync, 144hz, 1440p, 27 inch

The cheaper TN panel is appealing, ~$800 is still a lot for a monitor but if IPS is hands down better I am happy to spend the extra.

My standards arent crazy high, and i guess my mind will be blown either way i go coming from the dell.

Main concern is backlight bleed from IPS. seems its a toss up between true blacks/whites vs backlight bleed lottery. The other cons of TN dont seem like they will be an issue for me e.g. viewing angle

Specifically, ide like to know your experiences with how bad the bleed can be, and if it is noticeable during gaming or is it just something that youll notice if you are really looking for it (black screen dark room)? And does ASUS check the monitors before shipping here in AUS like they appently do in NA. Anyone had any experience with RMAing till they get one they are happy with?

Cheers

2. Perko

Perko Member

I have the AOC AG271QG, and it's a great monitor, especially for the price. I have a very small bleed at the bottom, about half way between the centre and right hand corner, and I only realised last week. I've had the monitor for close to a year I think. The only real weakness against the ASUS is the OSD, it's pretty basic, but it's fine for what I do.

To me, IPS is hands down better, I've seen some decent TN gear in the last 12 months, but by decent I mean not-totally-shit.

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I have a 27" Viewsonic 1440P 60hz IPS monitor. Just a $300 cheapy. Wife sits next to me with her old 24" Dell 1080P TN monitor a metre to the left of me.

I can see nothing but shadows on her monitor from where I sit (she has a movie on), yet she is reading this as I type it from where she sits. The viewing angles are night and day.
    The same applies to the colour. My IPS is crisp and clean, with strong blacks and contrast. I've spent much time trying to calibrate her TN to get the best possible experience from it, but everything is dull and lifeless on her monitor compared to mine.

Of course mine also has the advantage of being 1440P instead of her 1080P, but the difference in the panels is obvious anyway. I'll be upgrading her monitor soon, yes, I believe IPS is a no brainer. Brand and model regardless, make IPS one of the boxes that need ticking.

4. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

In general I don't like TN panels, but it's worth pointing out that as TN panels go, the one in pg278q is pretty much the best. 1000:1 contrast ratio (I was skeptical, but reviews confirm it) put it in the same ballpark as IPS, and the colour gamut is a reasonably good match for the sRGB target (slight overcoverage, as opposed to the significant undercoverage of cheap TN panels), with excellent out-of-box colour accuracy around 2 dE.

Personally the off-axis colour shift would drive me nuts, but if it doesn't bother you then this is a genuinely impressive panel. That said, you're coming from an IPS panel, so it might bother you more than you think it would?

5. OP
    OP
    Azer1234

Azer1234 Member

Awesome, thanks for that. Lots of good info. Im sold on IPS, just hope the bleed isnt too bad.

6. TheImp

TheImp Member

IP-S all the way as the others have said. I have an Asus PG279Q. First one had some backlight bleed, I took it back and swapped it.

Bleed is always going to happen in some areas, most of it does go away over time. You don't really notice it.

Also consider Acers 27" version. Quality has been better on those.

7. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

There's also VA panels which are like in between TN and IPS.

8. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Depends what you're doing with it? If you're gaming , the advantages of TN regarding response time might outweigh the negatives. Read some reviews of the exact monitor you're looking at preferably with in depth testing. Some of the new TN panels/implementations are very good . I used to be IPS all the way but after seeing a friend's new DELL TN it's not so clear cut in my mind .

9. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

I'm running a new 28" 4k TN panel and it looks amazing compared to the horrible TN panels I've used in the past, even the viewing angles are good. After running IPS panels for a number of years after a run of TN panels this monitor looks really good.

10. fcyde

fcyde Member

you wont regret IPS. TN is obsolete junk imo

11. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Not anymore they're not. Like everything there's good TN panels and there's rubbish TN panels, furthermore TN panels have improved over time like everything else. Coming from someone that used to say all TN panels were shit.

12. mtma

mtma Member

TN tech was never really the source of 'bad' as such - I had an engineering sample TFT TN unit from the early 2000's (yes, it was only 15 inches in size by the way) which had less mundane idiosyncrasies than a lot of LCD monitors brought onto the market in post 2009 period. Sure the viewing angle didn't beat the sought after, affordable IPS like the Dell 2408wfp and HP 24whatever but it came with a finely finished coating with no grain issues too.

But after that the marketing department went into overdrive and we ended up with many types of low cost, light beamed directly into your eyes types of turd and TN was just the champ for those stats. Really the 'affordable' IPS monitors of the late 2000's era suffered from exactly the same fate, the subtler idiosyncrasies that they featured were entirely due to quality cost cuts. However as IPS intrinsically is a more expensive technology the marketing people didn't whore it out so hard.

Unfortunately for the likes of Hitachi and NEC who invested a lot in the technology though they would have probably have liked it if the technology went Trinitron on them, but they never were in a position to really reach the same critical mass as Sony did in the decades prior.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    flu!d likes this.
  13. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Your eyes and brain adapt, be it a 19" TN 60hz or 34" 8k 1000hz Alien-LED

14. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

There's some pretty bad IPS panels out there, and TN panels are way better now than when IPS first came out. So the old school of thought that IPS > TN doesn't always hold true. Look at the specs before deciding.

15. Perko

Perko Member

In the product ranges that OP is referring to, it's still pretty clear cut. The TN super high refresh/low latency variants are really for competitive advantage in eSports, not for great visuals and characteristics.

16. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I had a couple of Samsung 24" TN panels from ages ago (10 years ish) and they where pretty good. It really comes down to the panel. If you can see it in person it really helps.

17. the extreemest

the extreemest Member

Bought this one a few weeks ago setting it up right sure has a fine picture by looking from any angle don't let the TN put you off as they have come a long way :).

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/369709

18. [MadHatteR]

[MadHatteR] Member

Strongly suggest IPS for 99% of uses, unless there's some very good comparable TN at a good price

19. Insert Gibberish

Insert Gibberish Member

Just curious with anyone owning the very latest TN panels - how is fine TEXT on a light coloured background?

Similarly, how is the TEXT on a very Dark Background?

The only reason IPS is so loved here on this forum, is that the information being mostly in text form is far pleasing on the eye but I have used old TN panels that made me want to tear out my own eyes after three hours of reading anything off them.

Still not convinced that the latest TN panels are better than a high spec IPS but if it's the same, then even I may swing back to the TN brigade simply if they fixed their atrocious Text display during the early 2000's.

20. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

I'm reading this on a TN right now, with light background and can't say I can see any problems, but it sounds like it's a very personal thing. This TN is leagues ahead of the 17" TN I used to play CSS on.

The main draw back of TN in my eyes is viewing angles. There's no escaping it. If it wasn't for the viewing angle colour shift I wouldn't be able to tell between a good TN and a good IPS.