Note9 vs Mate20Pro vs dedicated iPad Mini 4 or Crystal Sky for DJI Mavic 2

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by choppa, Dec 19, 2018.

1. choppa

choppa Member

As per title, if anyone has had an opportunity to use the above, which is better? Performance wise and also usability wise?

I need a new phone and am trying to decide between a Note 9 and Mate 20 Pro if they will work well with a Mavic 2 Pro or whether I dump the high end phone (replace with a cheapie that'll just work) and get an iPad Mini 4 (I'm not an Apple fan) or splurge on a Crystal Sky for a Mavic 2.

Appreciate people's input.

2. caspian

caspian Member

3. Hater

Hater Member

The best thing about the Mini 4 is that if you pick one up second hand, you'll be able to use it, decide if you like it or not, and if not, sell it for what you paid for it.

4. OP
    OP
    choppa

choppa Member

Thanks caspian, I was considering the CS as well, but the cost is a little high for now.

Hater I do wish I could pick up a mini 4 second hand for cheap, but alas, no luck in finding one that isn't within 20% of the price of a new one!

5. caspian

caspian Member

mini 4 devices seem to hold their value fairly well since they are still the current model. you can get the wifi only version if you can find one, the only thing that won't work is return-to-current-position if you move after launch. return-to-launch works OK as the aircraft itself takes the GPS fix. you can either cache the maps beforehand or just tether to your phone for live data.

CS is nice but by the time you add a mount then even a 5.5" is most of $1k.

6. Hater

Hater Member

7. damn duck

damn duck Member

DJI Go App is littered with Chinese infiltration and crashes all the damned time. Do yourself a favour and look up the "Litchi" app for controlling DJI products.

It voids your DJI warranty though.

8. Hater

Hater Member

How can it void the DJI warrenty? It uses their SDK? If their SDK can be used to make the drone do bad things well... surely that's a DJI problem? I mean sure bad implimentation of the API could make the drone crash but... you can't claim warranty if you crash a drone regardless of which app you use, surely? It's not a manufacturing fault, it's a you flew it into a building fault

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019