Notifiable Data Breaches scheme

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Gunna, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Gunna

Gunna Member

So I had heard whispers of requirements of businesses to report data breaches but honestly hadn't heard much of it until someone on OCAU posted a link and the requirements to report breaches from Feb 22 on wards.

Initially I didn't think this really applied to us but the more I thought of it, it may actually. With an increasing mobile workforce the information stored on laptops, iPads and phones could potentially fall under the listed data, the site only lists some types of data so could cover much more than I thought of.

Managers keeping resumes(addresses and phone numbers), information on their team members performance, Managers\HR and finance discussing team members health and payroll information. As this new requirement also covers external or internal user gaining unauthorised access, unauthorised disclosure and Loss it opens the discussion to data loss prevention buth internally and externally, laptop hard drive encryption and policies in place to comply with the Privacy act requirements.

Has anyone else looked into the requirements and what are you doing to comply? Am I the only one learning of this now?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  2. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

3. bcann

bcann Member

We work in healthcare, so we have to take it seriously.

Basically:

Bitlocker for ALL company laptops (Was not even used before)
    Encrypted Mobile Phones (Phones had never been deployed here before)
    Pin/Password protected access to mobile Phone (Phones had never been deployed here before)
    Password protected access to our Mobile Health app on said company phones (App NOT allowed on non company phones)
    MDM For remote Wipe of lost gear
    Will be re-performing Dodgy simulated email requesting password change from Non company email address, last year had a i think 40% Fail rate)

Will also when i get back from Holidays be performing first external Company Pen Test (And fixing issues they find, because your an idiot if you think there aren't issues to be found)

WIll no doubt do more.

4. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

A good idea, neutered by subjectivity...

State and territory government agencies, as well as private sector entities not covered by the Privacy Act, may find the guide helpful in outlining good privacy practice. However, the OAIC would not have a role in receiving notifications about data breaches experienced by those entities, other than for ACT Government agencies.

Now I'm sad.

5. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

APP under the privacy act have already applied to:

6. power

power Member

we had a vendor notify us of a breach last year through this scheme - so contact from the govt and the vendor, thankfully our policy is vendors get the bare minimum - not what they "want". So it was a non-event.

7. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

What bit is subjective? Its pretty clear.

Which is actually already required by the privacy laws.

8. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Combined with

So, the business who lost my information, gets to decide, if the loss of that information is likely to result in serious harm, which they can't do objectively, because they don't know my situation.

Why can't they just make it "Have Leak = Notify"?

9. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

They cant do it objectively because they are commercially against disclosing. However, who else practically would do it? Do you engage a Big4 to assess if you have a breach or not worthy of reporting?

The use of the term 'reasonable person' is well used in law, and if as defined as you can expect for this purpose. The reason you dont notify all leaks is simple. Everyone will just stop paying attention to them, so the purpose of informing people to watch out/be careful pay special attention etc, will just be watered down to constant noise of 'we leaked your name, maybe'.

There is some wiggle room sure, maybe too much, maybe not, but I would like to hear practical ways to remove it.

10. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Letting the fox manage the hen house is a terrible idea :), how about...

Everything gets reported to the Privacy Commissioner (or some other independent, objective 3rd party, appropriately resourced).
    Privacy Commissioner makes determination of harm, and issues public disclosure requirements to company.

----

Who is responsible for disclosure when 3rd party is the source of data?
    I opt in on Dominos.com.au because I want to win a TV
    Dominos pass my data on to some 3rd party advertiser in bumfuckistan who gets owned
    now I'm getting targeted spam, including my suburb (well, the suburb of my local dominos)....

11. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

How about the Privacy Commissioner just dies under the flood of BS, and breach information takes months or years to be assessed and notified (or not)?
    Can you imagine the volume of every leaked record, or record that was exposed to the wrong person? it would be crippling.

12. power

power Member

yeah if only there was some kind of aggregated source for that.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

13. NSanity

NSanity Member

I went to the website and it said "yes."

what do i do now?

14. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Hence my "appropriately resourced" caveat.

If the TIO can survive the BS of complaints that get sent that way, and get to charge the Telcos for it, Fund the Privacy Commissioner from fees levied on breached businesses :).

15. Tinian

Tinian Member

That would seem too simple.
    Progress to the second step where you provide your passwords so they can see just how bad you've been pwned.

16. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

Emailing someones record to the wrong email address is a breach.
    Faxing to the wrong phone number is a breach.
    Putting PII into the recycle bin and not the shredder is a breach.
    Searching for your ex-GF/BF without cause on a system is a breach.

Then the Privacy commissioner needs to go out to the companies and ask them about it... so they are self investigating again, after the company has reported that in the first place. Except now you have an external body involved.
    The work effort to manage, assess, report every breach is just astronomical. Completely infeasible, impractical and really doesn't achieve anything positive. Unless 'appropriately' resourced means sending privacy agents out to every business to do independent investigations on every breach, not matter how big/small.

I understand your concern, I think the current approach is open to abuse, but it needs to start somewhere, and not stifle business, and I think your solution isn't a solution, but another problem.

The goal of the legislation to to find a happy ground between protecting peoples information, and allowing Australia to have a functional, efficient economy.

elvis likes this.
  17. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Breach = Notify

Something very similar to haveibeenpwned, linked above, might work.

I want to know if someone e-mailed my records to someone they shouldn't, and I can make the determination of harm, and should have appropriate escalation routes.

Systems need to be put in place to make reporting easy, and an assumption of guilt/liability needs to be removed from reporting.

18. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

I'm saying that everyone reporting every Breach = Dead system.
    Can you imagine if the police actually policed every non-legal act? They couldn't so they focus on the bigger issue.
    The goal is not to empower individuals to chastise organisations and allow YOU to determine what is appropriate or not, its for all businesses to have a common understanding of what is needed/implications.

19. bcann

bcann Member

20. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Healthcare Number 1 on the East Side