1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Now you can pay with a smartphone

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by MR CHILLED, Aug 7, 2012.

1. power

power Member

Google>Banks

2. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Because they're cool and have beanbags in their offices? :lol:

Australian banks are bound by australian privacy legislation, offshoring requirements, can be pursued in an australian court etc. etc.

Google on the other hand appear to have been in trouble for privacy and data management in pretty much every corner of the world?

3. cvidler

cvidler Member

Plus they WILL of course use your spending records to target advertising. Google is after all an advertising company, remember, if you get something for free you're not the customer, you're the product.

Again, I'd rather Google NOT know any more about me than they already do. They can go get fucked before I let them know my financials.

4. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

World First? :lol:

5. power

power Member

omg targeted ads, it's the end of the wurld!

6. cvidler

cvidler Member

In a world where privacy is a rapidly diminishing asset, I'm not going to make it any easier for them.

7. power

power Member

Hey I agree to an extent, but don't kid yourself - banks already partner with advertisers - heck I don't willingly sign up for things like "Fly-Buys" because I know it's marketing based but I'll be honest I don't actually care that much about Google targeting ads, mainly because I block the lot of them.

If you have gmail you already get targeted ads as well. And ads, seriously I don't care about ads that much anyway - so much white noise.

8. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Targeted advertising is almost less interesting to me, 99% of the time I seem to get ads for places I have already been to/things I have already looked at.

ie I go to qwertyuiop.com so I start seeing ads on pretty much every site I visit for qwertyuiop.com... sort of pointless really.

9. power

power Member

I laugh at some of the ads I get - ads for my partners workplace.... the lulz, targeted ads fail.