NSW Police slam Windows for online banking. Endorses Linux and Apple iPhone instead.

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by HyRax1, Oct 9, 2009.

1. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Source: http://www.itnews.com.au/News/157767,nsw-police-dont-use-windows-for-internet-banking.aspx

I'm encouraged that the MP's were reportedly "enthusiastic" about finding out more instead of just brushing it aside as something not worth dealing with. Maybe this means that if Linux gains a higher profile in general end-user security, we might see government departments making greater in-roads into Linux awareness in general which could lead to greater departmental adoption?

2. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

The problem isn't windows, it's people who don't know how to use windows properly or have their router firewall turned off.

I use Windows all the time and have never had any problems.

3. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

How is the average person even going to know what linux is or how to boot it up?

4. doodz

doodz Member

Get a MAC, they dont have virii :Pirate:

ps. Anything apple sucks

5. cybathug

cybathug Member

Mac. MAC stands for Media Access Control.

'Viruses'. And yes, they do, just not as many as Windows.

Incorrect

6. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

The problem is people are stupid...

I worked in banking for over a decade and most banking fraud occurs from CC numbers, the second on the list is people being stupid e.g. saving the password to the internet banking in IE.

the solution is simple, mandate 2 part authentication for all online banking transactions.

7. Swathe

Swathe (Banned or Deleted)

There is no patch for human stupidity.

8. Rezin

Rezin Member

He could've been "shouting".

Get a sense of humour.

As for the story, as others have said... it's a PEBKAC problem.

9. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Is it me or is ITNews (if not already) becoming the IT version of news.com.au ?

10. Eevo

Eevo (Banned or Deleted)

i think the human brain is still beta1, not rtm.

11. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

Clearly the wider problem is related to PEBCAK, but you can't definitively say that nobody has ever had money stolen because a trojan horse keylogger stole their password as they typed it. As we all know, Linux has a better security model than Windows XP, and is probably still a little better than Vista and 7, so the advice to use a Linux distribution which is less susceptible to unauthorised software attacks is sound advice. The idea that people should boot up a temporary operating system in memory is also very good. It's not very practical, so let's hope some people decide that rebooting to internet bank is too hard, and they install Linux permanently. :D

12. Swathe

We've gone to beta? SHIT!.

brb reinstalling.

13. Rezin

Rezin Member

Not really sure eh... I've never read that site before. But Munir Kotadia's story is everywhere today.

Edit: ok, maybe not everywhere, but there's a few sites carrying this story.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  14. Eevo

Eevo (Banned or Deleted)

if linux was so great, people would of switched to it ages ago.

15. cleary

cleary Mental in the Face

Eevo: first (and last) warning. Contribute something useful or don't bother posting/wasting my time while I cleanup your rubbish.

@ oblong cheese - this is a troll. Just so you know.

16. Swathe

cleary edit: don't feed the trolls

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2009
  17. Rezin

Rezin Member

Hmm. Maybe the Big Four can invest some dosh into doing exactly this - developing an extremely simple boot CD/USB system (based on Linux) that's sole purpose is to use with their online banks.

18. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

The idea has merit, but it's not a solution. People will never want to break their workflow like that just to do online banking. Unfortunately the only real way to 'solve' this problem is through education and two-part authentication systems, which should be mandatory for all online financial services.

But, there are technologies like Express Gate which can be used in lieu of any special knowledge - it comes with most Asus motherboards out of the box these days, and requires no setup on behalf of a clueless end user.

19. kogi

kogi Member

I think you would be better off using those security key generator thingies (forgot what they were called).

It's not good to replace a tool that people don't understand, with a tool that they understand even less.

20. Swathe

Alot of financial institutions use the verisign token for online banking transactions, but at least press releases like these help increase the visibility of Linux to the public, and may convince people to at least give it a try. I have actually recommended the live cd option to people myself, and I think it is a good option for the home user.