1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

NTSC SMS in the land of PAL

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by badmofo, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

I received my OSSC recently (after waiting about 4 months for it!!!!!), but haven't had a chance to try it out yet due to moving house. Shane can i ask why you say the OSSC isnt too friendly?

I have emulators of course but I want to totally eliminate input lag and get the original experience.. i have some space now in my new house so i'm looking at CRT options.

Thanks Elvis. Again, some really great info there.

I didn't know of the line doubler option - does that add any input lag? i'm guessing no?
    Hmm it certainly would be easier to get a high end CRT monitor than a PVM/BVM.

I have some basic electronic skills but i wouldnt mess around with the insides of a CRT to do the RGB mod. Don't happen to know of any places that could do that by any chance.. in melbourne? :D

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

If you're sticking with analogue SD signals as input, no lag. They're literally just doubled on the way out at twice the horizontal frequency. No processing or other craziness needed.

They're mostly designed for people who want to run VGA or LCD monitors in arcade machines. You see this around the place a lot, when CRTs go and operators don't want to spend the time/money fixing them. For those sorts of games, input lag is a killer.

I don't know of anyone formally. You might be able to contact RGB Rob and ask him:

https://www.facebook.com/RGB.Rob/
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBJRCv0tNMQ2rnCm7VKYOkA/videos

Email address is on his Facebook "about" page.

3. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

I am saying from my experience as there is a lot of menus to go through and having a generic remote to control it is frustrating and the small lcd on it you have to be close to it

4. mookie3three

mookie3three Member

One thing to note that no one seems to have touched on is, some of the PAL Master System games actually run way to fast on 60hz. That means they were optimised to run the correct speed at 50hz eg: Power Strike 2, Sagaia the ones I have noticed.

If you want RGB out of the box, I would look into getting a PAL Master System 1 and getting it modded for the 50/60hz switch. Then just get the Master Everdrive https://krikzz.com/store/home/36-master-ed.html

5. OP
    OP
    badmofo

badmofo Member

After receiving and trying out a Power Base FM adapter I've decided to man up and mod my MegaDrive to do 60Hz colour with this mod:

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/mega-drive-1-pal-60hz-colour-mod/

My thinking being that the MegaDrive will provide the uber 60Hz + FM experience for SMS games, and my prized Master System 1 will stay un-modded for that heartwarming nostalgia experience I need sometimes.

Might just be my imagination, but the picture quality of SMS games is slightly improved via my MegaDrive too. The FM sound is interesting - Afterburner in particular sounded great. Not sure about Cal Games / Double Dragon - their non-FM music is etched into my synapses so it'll take a while to get used to something else.

6. elvis

It's identical hardware, so any improvements you're seeing are either lack of noise in the signal lines, or better quality discreet components, which could result in better contrast levels.

RGB bypass amps are popular in a lot of old consoles for these reasons, even if the console offered it's own native RGB. Back then, any savings that could be made, would be. Even if that meant shaving a few bucks off by using crappier components, or running signal lines across electrically noisy parts of the board. Most consumers had such rubbish TVs (or didn't know better), so they wouldn't notice the difference anyway.

Sometimes I even think it was the explosion of emulators that made people really sit up and work out just how crappy the picture out of old consoles was. I know for me the "wake up" moment was reading UK games magazines where all their screenshots were done from good quality SCART TVs, and my home gaming experience looked so muddy and washed out by comparison.

7. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

I've been doing some research into SCART->Component adapters after the suggestion from elvis. Seems like a good option since finding an old CRT with component is a lot easier than SCART :(

anyway there seem to be 2 good ones that have turned up: shinybow and fusion

the shinybow is from an established company, whereas the fusion box i think was hand made by a guy who frequents the schmups forums (among others). they're similarly priced at about US$80

theyre both supposed to be good but i havent seen any direct comparisons. anyone know which is better? :confused:

8. elvis

Reports are they're identical in quality. Both are far better than some of the dodgy no-name eBay ones that come with pots you have to adjust that leave your image all purple.

I have the Shinybow myself, and am very happy with it.

9. mookie3three

mookie3three Member

I have one of these if you're interested. I don't need it anymore. I believe the issues with these are down to the shit power supply that comes with it. Otherwise the image is great. Let me know if you're are interested.