NUC or SFF?

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by Jimmyb53, May 9, 2019.

1. Jimmyb53

Jimmyb53 Member

So, lately I've been having some issues with my full desktop. For reference, it's a 3930k under a H100, 32Gb DDR3 and a G1 GTX970. It's lost the primary PCIe lane so it's missing the front USB connectors and some other small things. I don't really game anymore apart from maybe some retros on Steam (BG2, DS) so I'm looking to sell it and the parts, minus the HDDs obviously.

Budget is ~1k or so, maybe more depending on what i get for the parts. I'm tossing up between going an Intel NUC (Hades Canyon/similar) or building an alright SFF. I'm not looking for a small powerhouse, just something that can handle the basics. Has anyone else made this swap? What did you choose?

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

I haven't swapped anything, but I have both SFF and a NUC. You can still put something else in a SFF (like a tv card), but you have to use external with the NUC. Same with the power supply. External annoy me, for some reason, I hate power brick thingies. If you need to stick it in a tiny space, get the nuc and find somewhere for the power supply. Otherwise, I'd go for the "proper" computer.

3. Bert

Bert Member

NUC is the more elegant solution, although a little more expensive.

For general day to day, you can't beat them to be honest.

4. OP
    OP
    Jimmyb53

Jimmyb53 Member

I don't mind having an external PS, my laptop has one and TBH I use that more than the desktop lately as the main PC randomly doesn't start and will bluescreen. I don't need a TV card or anything extra really, whatever I want to watch I just download and watch via USB on the xbox. I may play some new games at a later date which is why I was looking at the Hades Canyon offerings rather than just a $600 Intel NUC option.

It's not so much tiny space, as I would rather replace the aging desktop with something a little smaller, more efficient and more reliable that won't give me the "I MUST HAVE NEW PARTS" feeling. The price of graphics cards is also a factor, thanks to miners....

5. broccoli

broccoli Member

It sounds like you'd be happy with a nuc. Go for it!

6. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Miners are no longer really an influence on GPU prices. If you think you might want the option of gaming at a later stage, I think I'd be going the SFF route just in case. If you can rule that out, then the NUC is definitely the way to go.

7. Azzan

Azzan Member

I bought Hades Caynon NUC ~3 months ago, and I think it's great. One thing I really like is that it runs very quite, previous i5/i7 NUC's were too noisy imo, especially gen5-6 i7 NUCs. (not sure about the noisy on gen6-8 i7 NUCs)
    But I'll probably sell it soon and upgrade to 9900K or Ryzen 7/9 3000 series because I want faster CPU for video editing.

8. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

Why don't you just buy a docking station for the laptop?

9. Danthemanz

Danthemanz Old School Admin

Hades Caynon is a really nice machine.
    Its elegant, quiet (for the size and heat), ram slots, 2 x ssds and every port you can imagine.
    Don't forget the power of thunderbolt, worst case you can add a box and a card if you had to.
    If you are happy with 4 cores its fast enough for desktop work. Good clocks (and overclockable too) and the gpu works great and is wired direct into each output, just like a desktop (not a stupid laptop with optimus crap).

If you have the money, dont need pcie or HDDs, NUC it is!