NUCs / Tiny PCs

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by Stooge007, May 7, 2019.

1. power

power Member

poor people

2. Zee

Zee Member

From experience, I don't know what it is about NUC's, but they don't really seem to last that well. I've deployed about 15 of them in our office in the last 3 years, and most of them (11) are now sitting in the "not working" pile, they simply do not power up - tried changing RAM, SSD's etc from known working parts.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, or if there is some known problem that has since been fixed... I love the form factor and ease of set up, but just something to consider and look into.

Z...

3. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

Both of mine have probably been turned off a handful of times in 3 years. Apart from that they stay on in suspend mode/sleep mode all the time.

Both are i5 NUCs with like 64 /128GB SSDs.

4. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

hmmm, got me thinking about the Optiplex now ...

was leaning toward the M93p

5. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

so the Dell i linked above sold out

so i ended up buying 2 of these - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dell-Op...-Ram-128Gb-SSD-Win-10-Desktop-PC/192642693264

offered $260 each for 2 (listed at $285) which got accepted, maybe i should've offered $250

anyway, less the 10% off for the "PSYCHED" code, brought it down to $234 each

less GST (they are a shop so provide a tax invoice) makes final cost ~ $213 each, which isn't bad

3 months warranty and free delivery

not an amazing deal, but not too bad

ruffdayz likes this.
  6. flain

flain Member

I've got a Skull Canyon NUC and i've had to RMA the fan twice (fan gets noisy and unit starts overheating). First time i had to RMA the entire NUC as they had no procedure to just RMA the fan. The quality is pretty poor considering there isn't a spec of dust inside, the fan is wearing out in a clean environment on it's own and being a specific NUC fan there isn't a generic replacement that fits the chassis.

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

My HTPC NUC (NUC5PPYH) was getting noisy due to fan ramping up because of CPU heat. Applied some AS5 and unit has been fine ever since (3 years ago). Intel has used some generic poor performance gunk for TIM replace it with a quality product and the fan won't need to ramp up so often nor as high.

P.s. the Celeron units make great HTPCs!

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  8. Zee

Zee Member

I suspect ours have the same issue. All of ours have been ripped apart and there was very little, if any dust. Ours run in aircon rooms, too, so not like it's 48ÂșC...

Z...

9. Zee

Zee Member

What's AS5?

Z...

10. domsmith

domsmith Member

Arctic Silver 5

11. domsmith

domsmith Member

11 Failed NUCs?? sounds more like a power issue in your office or an issue related to a specific model of NUC.

The nuc I use I have been using it for over 3 years. Just make sure the power settings/throttling settings are enabled so the fan can only be heard at high load.

For the thread creator
    For the Dells the SFF or USFF if they ever fail just pull out and reseat the memory and or power supply plugs from the motherboard usually gets them going again.

zeggie and Bold Eagle like this.
  12. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

It is a well known quality Thermal grease (Thermal Interface Material (TIM));
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

It can make 5-10C difference on the CPU compared to the crap Intel uses and your fan get's used less and a lot less intensely!

Skull Canyon would be pumping some serious heat and with shit TIM you will be likely to have fan bearing problems (some drops of oil on the bearing could resolve that) but the TIM refresh would reduce that likelihood.

Hey Zee are any of those units available for assessment? If I can get it working consider a fair price?!? Otherwise you get the failed unit back.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  13. Zee

Zee Member

Sure - I've got 5 of them sitting in my bedroom - I'll grab one and send it to you.

Z...

14. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

PM sent.

15. flain

flain Member

The NUC i have (skull canyon) is a different form factor, they made it slimmer but wider, one of these:
    nuc.png

The annoying thing is it was supposed to be their high end premium version of the NUC range, yet they use a few crappy parts in it. I managed to get an extension on my warranty after the first fan failure (strike of luck because the serial number changed i think), the replacement lasted less than 12 months and then failed. I replaced it again (so 3rd fan now if you include the one it came with). Not sure what will happen when this one fails in 12 months.. nuc was $1200 new and i had to add memory and hdd like any other nuc.

16. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

One of our NUCS got pissed all over when we had a mouse get in and setup camp behind my amp in Home Theatre.

It's now "deceased", but the nuc just needed a good clean and was good as gold.

17. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

thanks for that, i figured that if anything went wrong with a SFF/USFF they'd be easier to deal with/source parts than a NUC or tiny PC (like the Lenovo M93P i was considering)

sounds like the whole NUC/Tiny PC thing is a bit hit and miss anyway, potentially dodged a bullet there

18. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

They arrived

Waiting on some DP adaptors to arrive before firing them up

I don't think these have WiFi, I have read I can add a mini PCIe WiFi card? Or easier to just go USB WiFi adaptor?

They'll be plugged in via network cables anyway, but just in case would be good to have WiFi

20190516_102333.jpg

19. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

I'd go USB. Easier to swap around to other computers if required. Depends what Wifi is like in your place though.

20. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

well both PC's will be within 2m of the wifi router ...