Nutanix

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by GooSE, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Daemon

Daemon Member

Yeah annoying, but all the info is there. Besides, you need to register for the community edition anyway, so there's no further steps required.
    Again, it's not really an "over the weekend thing". You wouldn't evaluate a full vSphere deployment with SRM over a weekend, nor would you setup a clustered Hyper-V environment with SCCM, AD integration etc either just to kick the tyres. You'd want it setup in a lab for weeks if not months to get your head around it fully.
    The community edition is meant to be an ongoing thing, ie allowing tech enthusiasts to piece together older gear / trial gear and run it for non-production systems. It's not time limited like a trial.

I run a lot of stuff in dev environments which may or may not be used in production, but at least I know how it works and what the advantages / disadvantages are. Some bits may not be fully mature and I can see if this improves or simply drop the product. It's the advantage of separate systems.

2. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Sure, to get your head around it fully, you'd need more than a weekend, but when Preview 3 of Windows Server drops later this month, I'll download my copies and have a clustered Hyper-V environment with SCCM and AD integration up and running happily within a weekend, I'll have an idea of the interface, and the look and feel of things very quickly.

So I'd disagree, a weekend is plenty enough time to get a full environment setup to "tyre kicking" level.

3. Daemon

Daemon Member

You also have strong experience with Windows, so the delta in your experience is the new features / interface not the entire platform.

What about a clustered Openstack environment with fully clustered Cinder storage, would you consider that a weekend task? I know a few engineers who can have it up and going within a few hours, but they're very experienced in it.

It's not a valid comparison to compare the setup of a system which is your bread and butter vs a completely new system.

Again, Nutanix (and indeed any other combined compute / management / networking / storage environment) isn't a small thing to get your head around if it's something you're not used to.

4. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

The easy of setup and configuration is something that is pushed quiet strongly in their literature.

5. Daemon

Daemon Member

I've seen a node setup in less than 15 minutes, that's not a problem at all. It still doesn't mean that somehow you can magically grasp all of the concepts about the infrastructure.

It's the same as racking and cabling a server, it's very easy to do but doesn't mean you know how it all works.

Again, this is why I'm trying to highlight that you're not dealing with a basic VM host here :) If a different hypervisor is a barrier then the concept of converged systems is a much, much bigger hurdle to jump over first.

6. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

A different hypervisor isn't the barrier.

The barrier is the steep requirements to get hold the version of the software that you would likely be exposed to should you get a Job in a Nutanix shop.

I understand the concept of converged systems, and VMWare will let me set one up just by filling out a online form.

I might be completely off the mark, I don't know what metrics companies use to gauge these things any more, but for me at least, a time limited full featured trial, offers more value than a feature limited, unlimited time trial.

7. scottath

scottath Member

And to add to the Acropolis hypervisor, Citrix XenDesktop/App got certified for it overnight. Adding alot of bows to the quiver...
    If only my dev servers didnt have raid cards :/

8. Iceman

Iceman Member

Can you boot from something non raid, then throw them into IT mode and passthrough the cards to the controller VM?

I'm unsure if this works in CE, but it's similar to how the prod version works (may have a limited number of supported raid cards).

9. scottath

scottath Member

Nah, the installer borks at not having the right disks. Sure i could modify that script so they all look like SSDs, but wont perform all that great (managed to get it kinda running on one of them, and it was SLOW!)
    The only non-raid connection in the server is to the ODD
    3x HP DL380 G7 - with HP p410 cards, no IT mode.
    I have the cluster running with VMUG licencing vsan (All drives are single disk raid 0 arrays) across 1gbe links. Its just a dev box after all. Running a second Nutanix cluster would be nice though

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  10. Glide

Glide Member

Not having much luck installing community edition.
    Tried a physical box first which failed since my DELL Controller cant do JBOD to pass thru SSD.

Then tried ESX6 instead - Can install, it boots, but CVM isn't accessible. I have configured promiscuous mode on the portgroup and can ping/SSH to CVM, but nothing is listening on port 9440.

Not really sure where to look. I followed several guides to the letter - so not sure where its going wrong.

11. diomedes

diomedes Member

mate can you tell me what Dell machine this is and the model of the controller you are using? See if we can't get you running.

12. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

Heh. So I just ordered a pair of C6100 chassis - 8 nodes of 48GB each, which I'll be using primarily for Hyper-V and maybe I'll use one to play with Nutanix. At least I'll be informed :/

Not sure if anyone else is interested, but I now have a contact at stikc.com where I got my C6100s, and I'll happily forward their details by PM if someone wants them.

13. Glide

Glide Member

Who is using AHV today?

Hows it going?

14. diomedes

diomedes Member

I play with AHV a lot, though I do not run it in production *yet*. I envisage AHV will be in my production environment by years end.

I have 2 CE Lab clusters setup at work I use for testing / training, and I have my own CE cluster at home.

The first lab is running old Dell 2950's with the perc 5 controller replaced with LSI9211-8i controllers (4 nodes) and the second lab runs Dell R710's using the Perc 6 controller (3 nodes). Both have Intel 10Gbe nics.

my home lab is 3 white boxes I build specifically built for CE, again all 10gbe.

What's interesting is I had to do some vsphere 6 work last weekend and compared to dealing with AHV it was a chore, AHV management is just so much more efficient.

Nutanix have done a great job with AHV in such a small time frame, it will be great to see where it is at in a couple of years.

I do know there are sites in Qld now that have AHV in production. In the year I have been messing with it it's not caused me any drama's and has been a pleasure to work with.

If you haven't played with CE recently I highly recommend you give it a crack and if you do need a hand with getting controllers to play ball feel free to hit me up.

15. xcessive303

xcessive303 Member

Is anyone using this in production yet? I am evaluating this as well as converged UCS for x86 VMware environment refresh. Currently have 9 Lenovo X Series esxi hosts with an all flash array which is performing admirably.

16. scottath

scottath Member

Been using it in production (k-12 school) for about a year now. Just using the entry level nx-1050 nodes (x3). Set and forget so far really for us. Zero complaints at all. Loving the hands off nature. Updates so far have been seamless, added performance and done middle of the day.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  17. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

What workloads do you run on it?

18. NSanity

NSanity Member

All Flash array? How many TB?

Are you EDU/Gov?

19. millennia

millennia Member

Used it for over 2 years in production, run our cloud platform on it. For us the main points are simplicity, ease of upgrade, and reliability. Performance is good but you need a good idea of your working set size for SSD sizing or moving to hybrid from all flash is unlikely to benefit you (unless your all flash is over engineered and in fact you don't need it).

Ignore benchmark comparisons, they are so often bullshit and unrepresentative of a live environment. Get a PoC unit and run a proper workload on it, and make sure you test everything - take the opportunity to find out just what you need to do to break it before you have live data on it!

I've never come across anybody moving from what sounds like an up to date infrastructure with an all flash array to hyper converged, although I'm sure Nutanix would love the story.

Nutanix is now available a number of flavours of hardware, their own brand (SuperMicro), Dell, Lenovo, and probably UCS at some point as Cisco appear to want to be everywhere at once these days.

20. scottath

scottath Member

We have 95% of everything. The other 5% is just things we have not got to yet.

DCs, File servers, Web servers, student management system, student web servers, general network services. We even have two minecraft servers on it.
    The only issue we have had has been funnily enough Minecraft - and thats a core clock issue (2ghz chips in our units) - not a Nutanix problem.

Our common working set is far in excess of our SSD teir - but we have not had a single issue with our expectations of speed.