Nutanix

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by GooSE, Oct 4, 2013.

1. xcessive303

xcessive303 Member

We have 50TB's on our flash array, finance sector. 250TB's of tiered storage.

2. xcessive303

xcessive303 Member

Thanks for the info. The issue we are having is getting Nutanix to provide a PoC so there will be no way of comparing the performance to our flash array. The only benefit I can see is the reduced latency due to local disk versus fiber channel. I know there are benefits around ease of management but this is not something we are really lacking at the moment. I can't see us losing out on any features that our current storage infrastructure already provides including stretched vmware clusters.

3. NSanity

NSanity Member

You sir, are not Nutanix's market.

4. xcessive303

xcessive303 Member

x86 takes up a much smaller percentage of that, the rest is for power systems. The primary workload we run on x86 is Citrix XenApp farm and know they had a Citrix validated solution for Nutanix. Even so, I think you are right in that it is not the right fit for our environment.

5. DrCarlo

DrCarlo Member

Full disclosure - I lead the SE team at Nutanix here in ANZ.

I am keen to see how we can help you see first hand how our platform could support your workload. I will try to reach out to you via a direct message so we can chat further.

Edit... I have to win some kind of award for lurking. Signed up in 2003.. first post!

6. Falkor

Falkor Member

So is anyone running Nutanix in production currently?

I'm looking to upgrade a View VDI environment and a vendor is pitching it to me, I've been watching HCI from the sides for a while now and it seems mature enough now to make the jump and from what I've seen there are some big advantages.

Just wanting to get some real world opinions from people who are using it and have made the migration from a standard 3 tier architecture.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  7. diomedes

diomedes Member

I have been running Nutanix for the past 3 years, started with 3 nodes and grew it out as we migrated all our workloads over to it. We started with VDI, but it now has everything on it.

Just before Xmas last year I also upgraded our VDI environment on it from Nvidia Grid 1.0 to 2.0 using newer Tesla cards to unlock vGPU in Horizon 7.

Quite happy to give your a call etc to have a chat if you are interested mate. We are extremely happy with Nutanix and have no desire to change it.

8. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Member

Went to a Nutanix preso the other week. Sounds like good stuff, but it's features are above our needs at the moment.

We have HCI already using Simplivity (who were just bought out by HPE) and that's doing well for us with four boxes.

9. aza2001

aza2001 Member

anyone running nutanix for some fairly large database I/O loads, and RDS environments?

we have about 25-30vms we plan on buying approx 5 nodes,

we have about 4 RDS and a number of large database servers, we did spec these servers with a large amount of ram,, large SSD but yet to go down the POC path.

we are coming from an equallogic environment, so I am presuming we should see some form boost coming from our older products

10. millennia

millennia Member

We are running approx 112 VMs across 8 nodes of varying sizes. One of the applications is a 500 user RDSH farm, running on two VMs with 32GB or RAM each. Runs like a breeze. We have some big SQL Servers also, and the only caveat I'd issue is to make sure the Working Set Size of your SQL operations fits comfortably on the SSD layer and you'll have no problems.

Also switch on inline compression for the container containing the databases but make sure dedupe is switched OFF for this container. Dedupe has minimal effect on SQL Server data but increases overhead, but compression actually speeds things up as more data fits in cache. I've not noticed inline compression be detrimental to performance.

Any databases not used for a while will migrate to the HDD cold layer, and then you'll get latency on first use, which will drop as the data comes back onto the SSD layer. If you need all databases to instantly respond even after not being used for a week then all flash is the best option.

11. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

Hi,

Have been running it for 4 years Zero issues. We run a mixture of VDI and Servers across 3 nodes.

We are about to implement 4 new nodes in the next couple of weeks to replace the ageing infrastructure at another site.

I highly recommend it!

12. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

SO.. I no nothing about this product, but can I ask - are all the internal components named after Greek Mythology gods?

Just heard about a guy who was on the training course (and was a devout christian) having to go to HR to complain about being forced to learn the history of Greek Mythology to understand the component relationships :lol:

13. closed_gate

closed_gate Member

14. samus

samus Member

Afternoon ladies and gents.

I just this morning actually has the spiel from the Nutanix sales rep, and I have to say, on the surface anyway, im impressed. The alternate would be the classic 3-2-1 from dell that I was planning on buying of course. It also seems to be cheaper including licensing by about 40%, for similar compute and storage capacity.

How is it so?

15. NSanity

NSanity Member

I dunno why anyone is thinking Nutanix now that Server 2016 S2D and VSAN are a thing and mature.

16. samus

samus Member

Maybe I'm asking the right questions then.

I'll have to price up VSAN/S2D.

17. NSanity

NSanity Member

Yeah, look VSAN/S2D rely on some pretty nice kit (NVME, 10/25/40/100Gbit RDMA Nic's, etc) - but really its just the old guard catching up.

Nutanix filled that space for a while - but now, and particularly in the S2D space, you're buying Vendor X's kit, then buying MS licensing - with S2D, you're likely buying the same licensing (or close to it).

Most people I know with Nutanix, slapped vSphere on top - whats the point when vSphere just does it natively now?

18. millennia

millennia Member

Really?

:rolleyes:

I always have to laugh when people say that Nutanix is redundant now that VMware have caught up a bit.

Sure VSAN has come a long way and is a great product, and if you're a dyed-in-the-wool VMware shop then I can see why you would go that way.

But you are massively missing the point.

Nutanix is not a single hypervisor product, it supports ESXi, Hyper-V and Xenserver in addition to its own home grown, KVM based, hypervisor Acropolis.

It can be purchased as an appliance on Supermicro, Dell, Lenovo systems, and installed as a software only solution on UCS and HPE.

It is the mother and father of system vendor freedom while VMware is becoming the mother and father of vendor lockin.

So sure, if you want to shackle yourself to the vTax for life then put all your eggs in one basket with VMware, but there is another choice and in 4 years on Nutanix I have never looked back - yes for years I plonked ESXi on top, but now with 1-click (well 4 clicks actually) I can convert the whole cluster to Acropolis and save $$$$$.

The third party vendor support is now there with Acropolis, and the feature set is now way beyond just HCI.

It is a total Enterprise Private Cloud platform, and it rocks.

19. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

You can't say that, you're just trading hardware vendor lockin for Software vendor lockin.

They must do something right, because they seem to have a lot of fanatical supporters (and/or a lot of astroturfers).

ie. You've been an OCAU member for almost 5 years, and only made 18 posts, all in this thread. What is it about Nutanix that makes you do this?

20. fetetert

fetetert Member

We have been using Nutanix for about 2 years now as a test bed for our new platform and it has just been given the green light for a full roll out. We currently run it with the full Acropolis Platform with XenApp 7.15 (static machines, MCS and PVS mix (for now))

In terms of IOPS for profiles etc from AFS, it leaves our Netapp in the dust. So I'm hoping we see some great results in the future.