Nutanix

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by GooSE, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Jase

Jase Member

LOL I didnt mean to imply they are the same person. I just meant the TT may be able to help contibrute to an answer to the question.

Yeah he covers the the IOPS stuff around 21:00-23:00 specifically 22:56 for the IOPS comparison which shows HP SAN does 4K/4K R/W vs Nutanix which does 11K/16K R/W.

Its a great webinar, awesome to hear end user experiences of vendor kit, particularly when it makes a big improvement to cost and performance.

Back to original question - why is Nutanix faster at IO ? Was it apples vs apples for the backend drive components? How much read+write IO cache is available on HP SAN vs Nutanix? Was there a change in SAN transport mechanism and host logical presentation?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  2. OP
    OP
    GooSE

GooSE New Member

I'm finding the lack of technical documentation on Nutanix's site to be a bit of a joke. The "datasheet" is just more marketing drivel.

3050 gives two 10 GbE interfaces. Are these SFPs? If so, do we have the option of SR and LR? Are they Nutanix parts? What are the part numbers?

How about a few words on typical deployment scenarios, etc?

Simple data like this should be readily available.

3. chip

chip Member

This is a trend I should probably post about in the rants thread. 'Disruptive' technology vendors long on hype, simplified diagrams and hand-wavy 'benefits' and very, very short on technical details. Also, no fucking way are they even giving you a hint about pricing. You have to contact a high-pressure US sales team for that, and there's always a 20+ hour turnaround for that info.

4. OP
    OP
    GooSE

GooSE New Member

You know, I was expecting the same from Riverbed when I first got involved with them last year. I was pleasantly surprised with the amount and quality of their documentation.

5. tullytyro

tullytyro Member

GooSE, thanks for the feedback on the web site and I'll pass it on and see if some positive changes can be made.

I'm not sure who you met initially but feel free to private msg me and I'm more than happy to go over some of your questions in person.

6. KiwiPete

KiwiPete New Member

Thanks for clarifying! You had me worried there for a moment. I appreciate the clarification.

Based on the views of some of the posters (not you Jase), I appear to be an ill-informed, gullible lacky of Nutanix.

Pretty much what TT said. and yes, he flicked me an email to have a chat about our experience with Nutanix. Suffice to say that experience with Nutanix has been excellent - their certification courses and exams are free.
    There will be many differing opinions, the facts for us are that Nutanix has been the best move in infrastructure for us.

Cheers
    KP

7. Jase

Jase Member

so... how about that IOPS question I had ? :)

8. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

I wasn't implying the bolded part, however as a long time lurker / reader of BE&C the tone of the conversation between yourself, ebar & tully read like a social media advertising blitz compared to 99% of other threads. Surely you can understand my cynicism when there are 2x new members + a non-regular BE&C (or OCAU) poster suddenly running a Q&A regarding the merits of a companies product.

I apologise if any feelings were hurt, I'll stop thread crapping and go back to lurking.

[edit] For what it's worth Nutanix sounds like an interesting product offering features that are only otherwise available in a build/maintain yourself environment (hence why I was readying the thread in the 1st place)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  9. JoshOdgers

JoshOdgers New Member

We at Nutanix are aware of this this and are working towards having reference architecture and case studies for the most common applications in the market, such as SQL, Exchange, Oracle , SAP etc.

I will also be putting some example high level solution summaries on my blog which will show how different requirements can be serviced on Nutanix, not just single use cases.

10. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I agree with this, I've got no problems with Vendors being part of threads, but I view it as an all-or-nothing proposition.

You either answer all questions posed, including those that don't shine a bright light on your product, or you keep quiet about it.

IIRC correctly, Astroturfing has been tried on OCAU before, and it didn't end well :).

If someone asks you for technical details, Provide them. It shouldn't be that hard. Goose asked for part numbers of the 10GbE interfaces, surely you can just pop one out of a demo model and provide these?

11. Crusher

Crusher Member

I looked at a Nutanix block earlier this year for our cloud hosting... 3 blocks was $75k for the entry level kit with not a tonne of ram or storage. For VDI etc I can see its benefits but bang for buck was way off compared to existing hypervisor/HDS SAN.

12. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Yeah, I can see the modular nature being useful for rapid change, but if you properly spec your storage solution, It should be nearing capacity, just as it reaches EOL, and then you migrate everything to whatever the latest and greatest is. Wheras with a Buy-as-you-need solution, you would have a collection of differing performance, and still need to cycle the oldest ones out as they reach EOL.

13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Following the thread with interest.

Good looking product, no doubt. But yeah, shy on technical information on the product website.

An interesting market placement too - as a proprietary vendor going up against a VMWare+NetApp type fitout on price is a good point to be in. But you're going to have a tough sell against proven open source tools like VirtIO+GlusterFS (aka Red Hat Enterprise Virtuaisation if you want commercial support), or OpenStack.

I'm totally sold on SAN seeing a decline. Big places will use it forever (it's still the best way to deliver large scale IOPS with reliability), but like mainframe, SAN is headed for a sales decline as cheaper commodity options start to become a reality for a lot of businesses (just like UNIX and ultimately Linux have eaten up a lot of the mainframe market in the last 15 years). Additionally more and more places are looking at distributed setups to meet their needs not only in depth, but in width (aka geographically disperse sites), which becomes expensive when coupled with SAN.

Speaking only for myself, I'm not convinced Nutanix is the way forwards for me. But that's mostly because I find it hard to trust any proprietary vendor on principle. My recent GlusterFS rollout proved very successful, and coupling that with the recent 3.4.1 version it now works as a native storage backend for KVM, which is where I'd be headed if large scale virtualisation was my goal.

14. OP
    OP
    GooSE

GooSE New Member

Got some interesting information on vSAN at vForum2013 today. I must say, it looks like it could be a nail in the coffin for Nutanix, at least as far as the software-side is concerned.

Too bad it's not ready yet.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  15. tullytyro

tullytyro Member

Nutanix currently ships it's software with models based on hardware from Supermicro (commodity hardware wins - it's the software that matters).

This is the dual 10Gbit interface card : http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-CTG-i2S.cfm

The great thing about the VMware's VSAN beta product is that it is validating our approach (we think we have a better product) - of course some differences being Nutanix has been shipping a production-ready and deployable product for your data-centre workloads for some time now (which works and is stable), and you aren't locked to using a particular hypervisor with Nutanix... But having some competition is great because it will force us to improve and keep innovating. Everyone wins.

I think I said earlier that Nutanix may be a great or even perfect fit or some environments, but not all. Some IT guys love us, some don't. Such is life.
    The ones that love us tend to have more free time now since that aren't mothering their old SAN anymore :)

Must have missed you at vForum Goose - I've still got a "NO SAN" sticker set aside for you! :p

The feedback from you guys re our website has been heard too and I hope to see some improvements based on the comments soon.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  16. OP
    OP
    GooSE

GooSE New Member

Great, thanks for that.

Yeah I think I jumped the gun a little with my "nail in the coffin" remark. As things stand right now (and probably throughout the 1.x release of vSAN), Nutanix has a more mature product with a more extensive feature set.

You're right about vSAN validating your product. I also noticed that vDPA looks like it will validate Veeam's product!

I popped into the Nutanix stand quickly but it was packed. All of your guys were busy. You guys seemed very popular.

Good to hear.

17. ebar

ebar Member

18. KiwiPete

KiwiPete New Member

Please accept my apologies for an attempt at humour. No offense taken this end and I regret the choice of words causing concern amongst long standing members this forum.

With respect,
    Pete

Jase, terribly sorry for not responding sooner.

IOPS on the EVA 6500 was 4000 (75 HDD and 6 Blades).
    IOPS on the Nutanix 2400 Block (4 nodes) was 11,000 read, 15,900 write.

All other infrasturcutre - switches etc were the same in both cases.

Cost difference between the two was around 50% mark cheaper on Nutanix.

Our Nutanix 3450 block goes faster, but my Systems Engineer is on leave so will get that to you in afew weeks.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  19. heydonms

heydonms Member

As the guys at the Nutanix stand were quick to point out, they have node affinity so that the data moves to the node where it is being used, VSAN doesn't (yet).

20. CaterhamKing

CaterhamKing Member

Block is a term given to a 2RU chassis. I prefer nodes, as now Nutanix has 2 node and 4 node 'Blocks'. In fact, a 2RU chassis could contain 1 node as we scale, so blocks only really relate to the initial purchase in my own personal view..... :)

Wont debate price in an open forum, but we can make it compelling. Confident of smashing existing legacy HDS etc if server and SAN are up for replacement.