NVIDIA Announces the GeForce RTX 20 Series | RTX 2080 Ti 2080 2070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 21, 2018.

1. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

pretty sure they keep selling them until they move to 30 series

2. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

ermmm..

ALL graphics cards are AIB cards. AIB simply stands for "Add In Board". That includes Nvidia or AMD reference design boards such as the 2080 FE cards and others.

The notion of Nvidia offering a "Founders Edition" is basically Nvidia's effort at turning 'reference design' into a money-spinner line of cards. FE cards should continue to be offered for the life of the product line. It's basically a stock speed card using what Nvidia considers is the best possible pcb layout, power provision, cooling solution etc etc. Sold at a premium price compared to stock speed 'partner' AIBs.

Nvidia defs had one bad batch of 2080Ti FE cards let loose early on. Nvidia admitted as much. But it doesn't stand to reason that ALL Nvidia FE cards will be similarly afflicted. A hiccup in quality control is a hiccup in quality control. Anmd we shouldn't discount the fact that a lot of the online noise will be people who've blown their cards up fiddling and tweaking, and want someone to blame for it. Not all. But a substantial portion of them.

More than anything else, though, it's the obvious scarcity of these cards which would cause me concern. If they can't be produced in enough numbers to meet demand then surely there's an underlying design issue which is making it so. These are hugely expensive cards, and given their scarcity I have to wonder if the whole venture was maybe a 'reach too far'?

Asking price definitely puts it out of my reach, but even if it was affordable for me I think I'd be waiting a while to see how things progress as this particular product line matures a bit more.

3. power

power Member

he means AIB partner, but the partner bit is implied.

4. Inconceivable

Inconceivable New Member

Yeah I see the AIB partners referred to as AIBs all the time so I apologise if the jargon was not correct.

5. Radley

Radley Member

You mean the few failures which were totally blown out of proportion? Yes, there was a small batch of 2080Ti's which were bad, but the rest of the 2080/Ti FE's are fine. I'd be happy to get an FE if it means I can use a waterblock.
    Why didn't you cancel ages ago and get one off another store like this (in stock at time of posting) https://www.pccasegear.com/products/44038/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-gaming-oc-11gb

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  6. Sledge

Sledge Member

got my rtx2080..

pity I'm working tonight and can't install it

maybe tomorrow...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  7. ol-skool

ol-skool Member

So I've finally had some good game time on my Gigabyte Aorus 2080Ti now with Battlefield 5. Latest drivers, latest Windows 10 1809 and DXR and all settings set to ultra @ 2560 x 1600. I must say it does look stunning. I am finally rid of SLI, and loving the extra power with only the one card. It also makes for a neater case.

I still cannot believe what I paid for the card though, mind blowing how idiotic I can be some times, but I also don't regret it at the same time :leet:

8. Radley

Radley Member

I was talking to some mates last night and I realised I spent $3700 on CPU, motherboard, graphics card and 2 hard drives... It's an expensive hobby, especially when most of what you do is watch YouTube.....

9. billyb

billyb Member

Amen, brother.

10. havabeer

havabeer Member

I spent $4000 just on video cards and water blocks for them. I try not to think about the total cost of my build. Also another reason why I didnt get these cards at launch, so much $$$$

11. Radley

Radley Member

Jaystwocents, LTT and a few other people are sneaking Titan RTX's in the background of their videos. I'd love to know how much one of these bad boys costs so I can prepare my kidney.

12. Luke212

Luke212 Member

people must really love to game to out this much dosh :)

13. 1dongchen

1dongchen Member

Was 10k wasn't it?

14. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Does this mean you can run BFV with RTX on at 1080p 40fps now with a Titan?

15. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

best thing is some youtubers were arguing that "oh the price for the new 2080Ti is so high because Nvidia decides to call the new Titan 2080Ti instead so it's actually RTX Titan not new 1080Ti replacement " .....fast forward 3 months later........RTX Titan :D:D:D:D:D:D

Sledge likes this.
  16. Sledge

Sledge Member

so got my RTX2080 (all my savings are gone now) and installed it.. (btw did i tell anyone i'm mega poor now?)
    now to work out how to connect the HTC Vive as well as my screen. (No $ left for a new screen with DP)
    Current screen has DVI, HDMI, and VGA...
    Card has 3x DP 1xHDMI and 1x USB ....
    hrmmm... currently using HDMI, but limited to 60hz... on a 144hz screen :(

Though it should be able to do 120Hz over HDMI... (maybe not)
    https://www.asus.com/au/Monitors/VG278HE/

Seems i may have to get a DisplayPort to DVI adapter....
    Or anyone got one they can swap for a mini DP to HDMI?

Can't believe most are not including DVI on the cards any more, thought it would have come with an adapter for this price.. :(

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  17. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

18. havabeer

havabeer Member

yep, nvidia got us again

19. Radley

Radley Member

Not really, it was fairly obvious they were going to release a Titan version. Where they got us was releasing the 2080 and Ti versions at the same time, followed by the 2070.

20. Sledge

Sledge Member