NVIDIA Announces the GeForce RTX 20 Series | RTX 2080 Ti 2080 2070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Unframed

Unframed Member

You said all macs and an iMac has similar thermals to most laptops. Not optimal but certainly adequate for the most part.

2. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

I suppose if your happy with your cpu sitting constantly at 100 degrees and throttling

they could get another 20+% performance if they had a proper cooling set up in them they are intentionally gimping these systems for the sake of a slightly slimmer chassis and your paying the apple tax ontop of it for this shittier performance (than a DIY) pc

3. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

I clicked on this thread because I was intrigued to read information about the newly announced Ge Court Jester. I was bitterly disappointed.

Attached Files:

Sledge, nope, macktheknife and 2 others like this.
  4. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Wouldn't be the first time CJ has disappointed people.

sTeeLzor, Unframed and Fortigurn like this.
  5. im late

im late Member

6. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  7. im late

im late Member

Much respect. :thumbup:

The curve utility did not give me higher gains, appears to be conservative. Setting manually (the ol skool way) appears to work better for this card.

However this is my first 2080Ti so I am a newbie at turing and have no idea what works best yet.

Are you in the Australia OC Team?

8. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Cheers, nah I'm not in a team I just like to tinker, plus my mates and I had a bit of a spoon challenge going a while back.

With Turing GPU's in MSI afterburner you can set the clock speed offset by voltage, but you can't change the voltage by temp curve, or the clock speed by temp curve (i.e. a +100 offset at 1.05v will equal a different clock speed at 20C to 40C).

Even on the 380W bios (I don't have any shunt mods or anything) when the GPU is fully loaded up sometimes you still hit pcap throttling which can drop the voltage and cause instability on a static clock.

Using the curve you can kind of work around this, I've dialled in the best clock speed/offset at the most workable voltage for my temps and GPU bin (~ 1.075V). So at the 1.075V point and beyond I run a flat line - basically as my 'best case' clocks (as the card will run the lowest voltage point of a flat line curve). At every voltage point below I step down a block on the frequency table (~13mhz or so) then flatten the line back to its ~ stable voltage for that clock speed.

Using something like the Rivatuner overlay during a run you can watch at what points it steps voltage down due to temperature or load and dial in that section of the curve for more or less mhz for stability/performance.

An example is, I might start Port Royal at 2265 @ 1.075v, by halfway the card has dialled back to 1.063v ~ 2235mhz due to temps, maybe with the odd dip as low as 1.05v (~2215) pending load. With the 4K benchmarks you're really fighting against pcap, so this can be more important.

After this if you really want to play the game, you get set MSI afterburner hotkeys to shift the curve up or down a notch (with different save profile curves) based off temps (since we can't map against them) so you don't hit stability issues at a given voltage point once the temps are too high (or too low).

Basically the end result is that you get a higher starting clock speed, and can optimise for different load/temp scenarios.

I'm not sure if all that that makes sense, when I get home I'll see if I've still got the curve to post it here.

im late likes this.
  9. nope

nope Member

is there a way to unlock the 112% power and volt cap on non oc bins? ive heard oc bios from gigabyte might work but heard conflicting reports? card tops out a 1950mhz on stock volts

10. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

AFAIK it's really only hardware mods that will get you anywhere, one of my mates gained a fair bit of headroom with a liquid silver pen on the shunts (without side effects). From past experience though I would keep away from using liquid metal or anything gallium based.

nope likes this.
  11. nope

nope Member

does that over ride what i set in msi after burner though?

12. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Nah, the TDP just won't be accurate anymore. So 100% will just become the equivalent of like 110 or 120%. Basically you'll see an increase in clocks and a decrease in PCAP throttling (as reported in GPUZ) but the reported TDP will be the same.

nope likes this.
  13. Strange1

Strange1 Member

/

As this officially came out today I downloaded it and tried it on my 2060 Laptop. It runs at ~39fps. Now I haven't played Quake 2 since it came out and I had a 3DFX card then, so is it bad that I remember it looking the same back then as this RTX version does now? lol

14. nope

nope Member

mad ill try overclocking like that soon any recommended easy mods for a 2080ti reference (gigabyte non oc) windorce? Do u just bridge the shunts?

15. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Click to view full size!

Basically in that red square are the three active points in most tests, the top 1.075v @ 2250 for ice cold/initial/light load boosting, 1.068v @ 2235 for the majority of the run and 1.056v @~2220(?) for heavy load vdrop

Cooling the card bumps those clocks up a notch (2265, 2250, 2235 etc)

Yup, other recommendation would just be to cool it as best you can. Even leaving it at the stock TDP, fitting some form of liquid cooler will give you the most performance benefit. My card on air struggled to hold 2012mhz with an undervolt (950mv). Now with an Alphacool Eiswolf I typically game at 2205 @ 4K (though with a 380W bios and 1.068v).

I am lucky to have a particularly good bin chip though.

nope likes this.
  16. im late

im late Member

Nice, my temps under load hover around 36~38 during timepsy tests 1 and 2, power limit is removed and volts are allowed up to 1.125 (OCP not removed)

But I only bench late at night when idle temp of the GPU is 17~20 degrees.
    you did win the silicon lottery there. :)

I keep temps down by only doing runs in the cold in the middle of the night, and using a bios that has removed the power limit completely and raise voltage limit to 1.125v.

For example last night idle temp of the gpu was a flat 20, during timespy it never went over 36. But it was raining here, with the beginning of winter I lowest I have seen is 17 idle, then went to 32.

Clocks stay pretty solid all the way through the tests.

So many people do not realise keeping the core temp down "as much as you prepared to do" is the key.

2205 is not my best, I need cooler temps to go higher. But even though I know my binned chip is great, I don't think I will top your one.

17. Scum

Scum Member

18. im late

im late Member

I read evga have released a non A bios for their entry gpus that take the power limit to 130%. Do your research on that as some bios can be cross flashed to different vendors. The overclock.net forum thread for 2080ti owners has mostly valuable info/instructions.

Keep your room temp as low as possible, crank volt to max 1.093, crank your power limit to 112%, crank your fans to 100%.

Come back and share results.

But also take Skitz0_000’s advice on the msi oc scanner.

nope likes this.
  19. nope

nope Member

ill get rid of the stock thermal paste and fans before i heavy oc it already peaks at 70c full fan 112% pcap +50mhz core

20. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Okay nvidia time to put the 3080TI release day before Cyberpunk 2077 releases.