NVIDIA Announces the GeForce RTX 20 Series | RTX 2080 Ti 2080 2070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Sunder

Sunder Member

I delayed quite a while hoping the 2080ti would be worth it, and deciding it wasn't. I actually thought that 6 months on the back of bad sales, they might drop the price. Off by time frames, and off by the exact approach, but I think the actual action took into account buyer/fan outrage, and they are doing largely what I thought they would.

Instead of dropping prices, which would have upset early adopters and made them much more likely to delay upgrading next cycle, they are effectively downlabelling their failed chips. So someone who bought a $1800 2080Ti doesnt feel so bad that someone else is getting a 2080 Super at half the price, because it's not a cheap TI - its a slighty tweaked 2080 - even though for all but a very small number of use cases, the Super will be the same speed.

Whether the deception placates early buyers is yet to be seen. Depending what the roadmap looks like in April/May 2020, I might get one then for Cyberpunk 2077. If 7nm is on the horizon, I'm holding out. While ray traci g demos do look good, the difference between Ray Traced and Rasterised scenes when you're dodging bullets and swinging forearm blades with adrenaline pumping makes you miss the scenery.

sTeeLzor and nope like this.
  2. nope

nope Member

What constitutes "a waste of money" for you ?

3. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

+30% performance of 1080Ti for +100% of cost? Paid $990 for my 1080Ti 18 months ago. Anyone who supports that stupidity deserves to be parted with their money. Its also not like that level of performance determines the difference between playable and unplayable in the latest games. And RTX has turned into a junk statue of shit that noone uses because it runs like dog shit.

Ive bought the highest end card every generation or two for the last 15 years. I've never seen a step so little in performance difference for such a high price change.

friction_point and nope like this.
  4. nope

nope Member

lmao whatever oh noes 1500 dollars WHAT A LOT OF MONEY

5. bobsled

bobsled Member

It actually is. We've just gotten so used to getting ripped off in the desktop component space that we're numb to it.

sTeeLzor likes this.
  6. Sunder

Sunder Member

So many perceptions of value are all about framing. Given that I tend to keep my gear for around 3 years, gaming is probably one of my cheapest hobbies per hour of entertainment.

But reframe it another way, and the card looks like a rip off. Why do I need to spend $1800 for an 2080 RTX to achieve 80fps, when my 1080Ti already drives the game at 60fps? Some people swear not only does the game feel smoother, that price is cheap for the improvement, others will say its a rip off. Double the price for a barely noticeable improvement.

sTeeLzor likes this.
  7. havabeer

havabeer Member

For someone who claims it's not a lot of money you sure did some whinging when the cards where $1800 - $2000. What was $400 extra dollars to a rich guy like your self

8. weak beta male

weak beta male Member

maybe he just recently got rich from meth dealings? ofc someone like him will blow it all on hookers and cycle will continue.

9. Copie

Copie Member

You dont stay rich by wasting money.

2k for me isnt a huge deal given the hours of enjoyment it provides, but if it was the same item at 1k i would be happier.

10. nope

nope Member

lmao the salt in here over a neet saving up dole and slurging on a low end 2080ti

11. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Yeah the double engineer income my family enjoys really means we scrape and save for months for an RTX2080Ti.

People's incomes are irrelevant to a value equation for a product and I correctly pointed out the cost versus performance difference. To dumb it down for you, I could make a graph?

James086 likes this.
  12. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

13. chook

chook Member

Then he broke the golden rule and got high on his own supply.

14. Azzan

Azzan Member

$1500+ for GPU is way too expensive imo regardless of it's performance. I guess it's diff story if you are a hardcore enthusiast and have been buying top of the range Titan cards since its release.. but for most people RTX2080Ti is total rip off especially considering its performance.

I'd only spend $1500+ for RTX2080Ti if they released Crysis 4, and I needed RTX2080Ti to get minimum 120fps at 1080p or 1440p..

nope likes this.
  15. nope

nope Member

meh i spent more back in the day this is nothing.
    as i said its my first flagship gpu from nvidot and im enjoying it very much.

16. im late

im late Member

Here is a post of something that actually has something to do with the turing...... :rolleyes:

http://www.3dmark.com/pr/103852 <-- ran out of time last night to push harder.

Rubberband and AlliZ like this.
  17. bobsled

bobsled Member

Despite having ample horsepower I am interested in the “Super” (Leaded petrol) Turing release... I could otherwise be blowing smoke for another two years with Pascal.

Talk about good longevity from a series of cards!

nope likes this.
  18. nope

nope Member

yeah nah united 95 premium ethanol blend mate

19. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

pfffftttttt I use EFLEX

all the power at a more sensible price

nope likes this.
  20. Sledge

Sledge Member

AMD biodiesel here.. best you can get