1. Win some Team Group goodies in OCAU's latest contest!
    Dismiss Notice

NVIDIA Announces the GeForce RTX 20 Series | RTX 2080 Ti 2080 2070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Azzan

Azzan Member

Nah, one I bought for $600 for RTX2070(non Super).

2. moonGred

moonGred Member

How did I only just realise this now. Really is the worst naming they’ve done in a while.

3. moonGred

moonGred Member

Caved and got the 2070 gaming OC for $780. should arrive this Thursday.

Anyone have an idea what a 1080 g1 realistically goes for?

Azzan likes this.
  4. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Well I couldn't resist. Feel like a total moron buying a year after release lol but I want to max out RDR2 (loved it on PS4) and I don't think we'll see new cards before Cyberpunk...if we do I'll have to upgrade again, lol

Picked up a 2080 ti (MSI Gaming X Trio) for $1759 with one of those ebay 20% off codes. Should be a nice upgrade from my aging 1080, was certainly a struggle to swallow that price though. I'm sure I won't care when I have delicious fps :)

Azzan likes this.
  5. Azzan

Azzan Member

Gaming OC is good model imo(4 years warranty and decent heatsink), should be able to sell GTX1080 for ~$400, maybe up to $450 if it's got warranty left.
    2070 Super should be able to run Control(at max settings with RTX on max) @ 1440p. :thumbup:

Gaming X Trio is my fav model, it's got the largest heatsink, highest default boost clock speeds out of all 2080Tis(besides Lightning Z) and also runs very cool and quite. I know some ppl that preferred Asus Strix model but changed mind after using both cards. :)

p.s. don't forget to register your card and get free Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.
    Also I think it's great time to buy RTX card cos there were hardly any games that supported RTX year ago(maybe only Battlefield 5 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider?), but I think it's totally stupid to buy card without any RTX feature(5700XT cough) if you gonna spend $700+ on new card now.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  6. moonGred

moonGred Member

Yea, I'm quite looking forward to control. Hoping it goes on sale for halloween or something. The $60 usd price makes it a bit hard to swallow.

7. moonGred

moonGred Member

Have to say that I'm really happy with the 2070 super. It provided the 20% increase I thought it would, but the Ray tracing support is what really makes it shine.
    Ended up getting Control on sale which looks absolutely gorgeous. I'm by no means maxing out the game but with mostly high settings and ray tracing enabled I'm still hitting +-60 fps at 3440x1440 (gsync really is a godsend here)
    Card runs really cool as well, 45 degrees idle, maxing out at 60 degrees under full load.

8. Azzan

Azzan Member

How much did you pay for Control? cos I think Epic store is having a Halloween sale.
    Anyway Control looks awesome(probably even without the ray tracing) and it's also super fun to play..
    I've finished the game like 3 times but still playing to get best weapon mods. Found out a easy way to get all Level 5 weapon/personal mods only after finishing the 2nd main mission(Directorial Override) so I can make super Jesse. :D

9. moonGred

moonGred Member

I'm quite relieved that I didn't pull the trigger a day early, and got it at the discounted price. Ended up selling my COD MW code for $40 USD which meant it was a near like for like swap.

What started as just upgrading my 1080 ended with me getting a new case and CPU cooler as well.
    Jumped off the AIO train and got a BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4, which actually cut down my max temps in Destiny 2 down by around 20-25 degrees (60 vs 85 before). It's probably a mix of all the before mentioned changes but everything is so much quieter.

Bit off topic for this thread but does anyone have experience with sleeved cables? I can't decided whether or not to go the Corsair or Cablemod ones, both cost about the same as well.

10. friction_point

friction_point Member

So...I'm looking at pulling the trigger on a 2080Ti for my build...but I have a feeling the 3xxx series will be out next year. Has anyone heard anything through the grapevine?

11. Radley

Radley Member

But if you wait until the year after there's going to be an even faster one...

12. friction_point

friction_point Member

Yeah, exactly...always the case.

13. bobsled

bobsled Member

Buying 14 months after release gives you much less time before it’s superseded though. Not a reason to hold off, but worth considering if you don’t need to upgrade.

friction_point likes this.
  14. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Yep, Nvidia typically do a new architecture every 2 years approx, so later next year we may see a 3080ti on 7nm. Also keep in mind if performance is what you're after for the upgrading the 2080ti is only avg 23%@1440p faster than a 1080ti, It's not the big bump 980ti vs 1080ti (more like 55%). Only worth buying for the ray tracing imo, and expect the next gen to be much better at ray tracing.
    https://www.techspot.com/article/1702-geforce-rtx-2080-mega-benchmark/page5.html

15. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

I wouldn't jump to a 2080Ti if you already have a 1080Ti at the moment, if your sig is accurate. Unless money is no object, then you don't need anyone's opinion on that. There are times where my Titan XP could be better however for 95% of the games that I play (or have time to) I am still in awe of my PC and it's performance. If there isn't any show-stoppers with your current card, ie. major stability issues and finance isn't an issue, then I'd be holding off.

16. Azzan

Azzan Member

I can think of 3 reasons for buying RTX2080Ti now..
    1. It's a good time to buy the card if you want RTX. Year ago RTX feature was pretty useless but that's not the case anymore cos most new games(Control, Borderlands 3, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Metro Exodus, etc) supports RTX now, and they look freaking awesome with RTX on.
    2. Current RTX2080Ti > First RTX2080Ti(from year ago). Newer current cards seem to overclock much better than first RTX2080Ti from year ago according to end user results compared to results from review sites year ago. (inc mine ~month old)
    3. If you want the fastest/latest you can always upgrade again. We'll probably get RTX3080Ti within a year(obviously faster than RTX2080Ti) but you should be able to resell used RTX2080Ti without losing too much money(especially if you buy the card with 15-20% discount & sell it right before RTX3080Ti launch imo).
    Meanwhile you get to enjoy all the latest game with RTX on at maximum fps. :)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  17. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

I guess it depends, for me personally RTX is rubbish useless feature on 2000 series, performance with RTX is just bad, paying pretty much $1000 premium for a feature is year later supported in 5 AAA games, and any sensible person will turn that thing off immediately in Multiplayer. I rather have stable 140+ frames than shinny 60fps if that :)

yes it is an achievement to have ray traced render real-time, however the performance is just not there, if the card would be able to handle 144hz with RTX on, I would have no issue with nvidia charging $2500 but with barely 60fps.....

hmm had no idea, will have to give it a try, although mine is few months old now :/

18. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Will probably continue to not see much ray tracing until 2021 when consoles support it.

19. Azzan

Azzan Member

I get average ~80fps/~120fps in Control with ray tracing on/off, and average ~120fps/~170fps in CoD MW with ray tracing on/off. Both at 1440p max details with mild overclock on RTX2080Ti(+100, +1000).

I def rather play with RTX on cos it looks soo much better.(especially Control) :p

I first noticed it couple of month ago when Dannyboi was selling his near new Asus RTX2080Ti Strix OC cards, but other members(Bolter01, walker_2003, etc) with new RTX2080Ti also seem to have good overclocking results(noticeably better than review results from year ago). My ~month old card can overclock(+200, +1500 on afterburner) and run Superposition benchmark without any issue.

20. friction_point

friction_point Member

Thanks for the advice guys, noted and appreciated.

ChinoPD I am running a 1080Ti but it's in an ancient system tbh, and I try to buy the current best when I do a build. Current system apart from video card and PSU has lasted me ~9 years. try to get as much mileage out of my builds as possible.

Azzan - that's interesting to note, perhaps as the manufacturing process matures, we see more headroom?

SnooP-WiggleS - I was just counting the release dates between the 980Ti and the 1080Ti...looks like roughly 1.5 years between releases. As you noted, looks like every two years a new architecture is launched. I guess I'm caught mid-product cycle.