NVIDIA Announces the GeForce RTX 20 Series | RTX 2080 Ti 2080 2070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 21, 2018.

1. nope

nope Member

Would putting a huge aftermarket air cooler on my card devalue its resale? Ive done it before and i cant stand this cooler
    hahaha ofc

based
    ofc i will, im gonna stay away from their lower end tier windforce coolers tho too loud too hot
    this.
    bad luck mines still going at 88 degrees lol
    god thats fucked
    oh well 3080/4080ti coming soon hahaha

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  2. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Soon™

I don't really class 'first half 2020' (aka mid year) as soon...of course my dream scenario is a 3080ti just before cyberpunk but I don't see that happening.

Either way, it's soon enough that I feel like big Navi will have just come out boasting about 2080ti performance 18 months too late, only to be mercilessly crushed by 3080ti

chook likes this.
  3. partybear

partybear Member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    nope likes this.
  4. Azzan

Azzan Member

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Nethiuz likes this.
  5. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

https://www.techspot.com/article/1934-the-state-of-ray-tracing/

A good summary of Ray Tracing as it stands at the moment.

I was surprised that its only available on 6 games at the moment. Also the extent of the performance hit: 30-40% still seems quite steep to me. I guess its up to individuals as to whether its worth it or not.

nope likes this.
  6. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Unfortunate that they don't cover Modern Warfare, as that is one of the better implementations.
    Not only does RTX make a pretty big difference to visuals (especially some of the campaign scene look amazing with fires around etc), but it's completely playable...with settings maxed out at 3440x1440 and RTX maxed, I was still seeing 80+ fps, often sitting around 100fps (8700k + 2080ti).

If that is a sign of things to come then personally I think it's definitely worth it. For me anyway I just wanted the best graphics card, having RTX was more a bonus, but after playing modern warfare I would consider RTX more of an important feature

nope, Azzan and darkbastard like this.
  7. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

Quake bench. is the best...

RTX OFF = average 1000fps (assuming capped)
    RTX ON = 44.3fps

nope, Nethiuz and darkbastard like this.
  8. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

I 100% agree - I also think it will be worth it even moreso once it becomes more available and code is better optimised as developers become more familiar with the different implementations.

9. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Absolutely not worth having it on for me, 4k or VR is all i run.
    Still waiting on 5080Ti so i can actually run the index @ 144hz..... Hibernate for tech time i think! 2080Ti came at a time higher res and more hertz displays are being pushed more than ever, Ray Tracing isn't what the people wanted! But hey if you're happy that's all that matters.

10. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Before I care about VR performance, I care about non-trash content being available for it, AAA titles being released as VR on launch etc....(inb4 someone claims [insert garbage VR game here] isn't garbage)

VR remains basically a gimmick until then. Similar to the current implementations of ray tracing

11. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

A gimmick? I don't think Project Cars 2, X-plane, Aerofly or Digital Combat Simulator are garbage or a gimmick, they are as good if not better than AAA titles which is code for wank kiddie titles like GTA ;)! DCS spends 2-5 years on EACH module.
    You are misguided sir.

12. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

RTX in COD only affects shadows. Yes they look good but hardly anything to cheer about.

Nethiuz likes this.
  13. Azzan

Azzan Member

CoD MW ≠ Control, but still looks better with RTX on imo.

14. Plonkflopped

Plonkflopped Member

Not denying it doesn't look good but compared to other RTX titles it's a very small implementation.

Nethiuz likes this.
  15. Azzan

Azzan Member

lol wtf? how come they didn't include any 2080Ti benchmark result? 2080Ti was released over year ago and it's not ultra-rare like 9990XE. :tongue:
    2080 Super is only ~4% faster than 2080(last gen), therefore noticeably slower than 2080Ti(~26% diff according to UserBench - https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2080S-Super-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2080-Ti/4050vs4027)

Also did they use i5 2500K for all the bench results? i.e. 34fps average with 2080 Super @ 1440p.. wtf? :confused:
    [​IMG]
    I got ~65fps average @ 1440p(max details, ALL ray tracing options enabled) with 2080 Super in Control iirc.

Control 1440p benchmark results from PC Gamer(https://www.pcgamer.com/au/control-system-requirements-settings-benchmarks-and-performance-analysis/)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  16. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

The PC gamer results are only at High settings not max and without RTX - how is that relevant to your argument.

Is that with RT on high or just a high preset - I am not sure now and dont have the game so cant check myself.

The only reference I have is this
    Which basically says at 1080 with max setting the 2080Ti only just breaks 60fps - that seems more in line with Hardware unboxed's findings.

Obviously your recollection of the frames you got with control is either incorrect totally or you were using a lower detail level.

Hardware unboxed used a 9900k at 5ghz with 32gb of ram at 3200 IIRC

17. Azzan

Azzan Member

"High" is the max setting(there's no Very High or Ultra) in Control. But looks like I posted wrong results from PC Gamers.. this is the one with RTX On.
    [​IMG]
    It's confusing cos there are 4 results for each card, they should just have two results for each card..
    #1. 1440p high with all ray tracing on
    #2. 1440p high with all ray tracing on + DLSS also on (most people play on this setting afaik)

My results with 2080 Super and 2080Ti were #2.

18. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

The problem with DLSS are as follows

19. Azzan

Azzan Member

Unfortunately 2080Ti isn't fast enough to run Control @ 1440p high with ray tracing unless you enable DLSS(for more fps).
    Fortunately Control looks freaking awesome @ 1440p high with ray tracing(with DLSS) and you also get very playable fps.
    But in future(3080Ti?) you'll be able to run 1440p high with ray tracing(without DLSS) so it'll look even better.. :)

20. partybear

partybear Member

I have had my 2080ti all year till it broke and I have to admit I haven't even tried a single ray tracing game or demo haha. I would rather play at 144fps then have slightly better shadows.

nope and Nethiuz like this.