NVIDIA Announces the GeForce RTX 20 Series | RTX 2080 Ti 2080 2070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Doesn't work. There are too many people with money to burn who will buy them anyway just coz. Ultimately, your purchasing power protest becomes nothing other than a pointless giggle.

2. CardinalMite

CardinalMite New Member

Please explain how a tax levied at the point of entry in the US and is a positive disincentive to sell product in that country reduces supply to other countries..? Or in other words how about actually addressing the point properly rather than just being snide.

3. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

Do you live in some sort of academic hypothetical bubble? The trade war between US and China effects flow of goods and services both ways. In modern global logistics and manufacturing no country is able to 100% supply all the material needed from start to final assembly. Something somewhere along the lines would have came from another country.

In this case there will definetly be material that would have criss crossed between these 2 nations and hence attracted levied tarrifs even if the final goods aren't ments for US consumption.

Secondly why would vendors reduce supply to US based simply on tariffs if there is demand (Which is by far the biggest market world wide for IT parts)? The cost are simply passed on downstream. Vendors will raise prices across the board for other regions not just to cover the increased cost of production but to also maintain pricing structures to discourage grey importing.

4. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

edit:
    and issue with EVGA cards w/ stuck clocks

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  5. CardinalMite

CardinalMite New Member

1. GN did a a discussion video of the effects of the tariffs where they point out nearly all graphics card manufacturers do so out of China. The fact there is a trade war between US and China would only increase manufacture cost of graphics cards that go to non-US markets if they used components manufactured in the US that China imposed retaliatory tariffs on.

2. If you increase the cost you decrease the demand, reduce demand in one market then you avoid having your margins hurt by reducing supply to that market and instead supply to the markets that are not subject to artificial price manipulation (tariffs). How much you do this by is down to how inelastic the demand is for the product in question. Graphics cards are relatively luxury items, your life won't end if you choose not to buy. Without bitcoin to prop up demand the demand for graphics cards becomes more elastic which is why plenty of people are choosing not to buy 20x0 series at the inflated prices NVidia and resellers have been setting.

You may have some point in grey importing only since America gets way better pricing in general vs say Australia which is gouged up to the eyeballs it is not as if Australia supplied cards will suddenly become good enough value that someone in the US would pay to have them shipped there.

The point that was being made is that it is not justified to increase the cost to the Australian consumer because of a US/China trade war.

6. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

Yes final card assembly might happen out of China but that totally ignores where all the bits and pieces that are required to assemble actually came from. From raw material to processing to IC to final PCB assembly, does GN actually know the full process and have broken down every card and back tracked the source and path taken. I don't think so.

Once again you go off on your own academic hypothetical. Let me guess you did your year 12 econ and think thats how the world should work? The reality is demand is far out stripping supply and price is only a minor consideration in this situation. Vendors don't bear the costs of the taxes, consumers do and even at the higher prices, more people are still willing to pay then what can be supplied.

And here it is, flogging the same old dead horse. wah wah wah AU price shit, US price cheaper. Do we really need to go down this path again? GST, Import duties, E-Waste Tax, relative income, economies of scale, blah, blah, blah.

It is what it is. This is the nature of the retail game as it exiests. Like you said yourself, your not going to die if you don't get one. Don't like the price? Don't buy, move on.
    Why have a cry and make a whole song and dance about it? Do you somehow feel entitled to have one at the price you want and in a timely fashion deemed acceptable to you?

Do people really feel there is some grand conspiracy? Shit, might as start name dropping illuminati, Rothchilds and Soros for shits and giggles.

im late and Catweazle like this.
  7. CardinalMite

CardinalMite New Member

No crying here. And no I did not buy one. You seem to be taking it all very personally, its all about the personal attacks it seems. Still if that makes you feel like a good internet warrior whatever floats your boat. Lots of declarative statements with little to back up what you are stating.

Tell me, you claim that the parts come from all over, and just the final assembly is China, which parts might come from the US then? Or do you think that it is more likely that the bits come from other far east countries?

All I said was that it would be incorrect for a vendor in Australia to blame price hikes on the tariffs. You seem to want to take that as some kind of conspiracy theory. I neither asserted that there was a conspiracy to do that nor identified anyone as doing that.

Straw man arguments for the win eh?

8. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

You make BS asscertions and get called out. Its now personal, ok snowflake ;)

I have no vested interest in this other then dispelling the myths and BS that gets sprouted and get perpetuated everytime a new products launches. Especially as someone that has worked at every level from IT retail to distribution to vendor manufacturing.

My knowledge doesn't come from GPU industry but something similar. Raw rare earth minerals can be sourced from any number of places like eastern europe, Canada and China. The material is processed in China and then shipped to Japan for production into a single electronic choke. This is but a single example of hundreds of parts that goes into a single PSU. I'd image there is no difference with GPU production.

Another perfect but much simpler example would be Intel CPUs. The raw CPUs are largely fabbed out of their Hillsboro Oregon facilities and final assembly and testing occurs at Malaysia for a majority of the CPU that comes into Australia.

Let me break it down for you.

Do you or do you not agree a graphics card can be made up of a huge number of parts that could be supplied by up stream suppliers before its supplied to a vendor like ASUS for final assembly / production? If you don't understand this point then the whole thing is going to fly over your head. So I'm not sure if you got some kind of cognitve disconnect or just deliberately being obtude.

If there is any cross boarder trade between China and US whether it be raw material or components that make up the production of a video card then there is a highly likely chance the tariffs has been applied. And remember the tariffs while targeted at China is applied to items, a number of "allied" countries have also been hit aswell as a consequences of these actions. If the prices has risen on these then there is no reason why a vendor can't pass that price rise onto a consumer in Australia. If they choose the increase that price rise within the exiesting structure and in line with US price rises then they are well within their power to do so. Crying over it and claiming bloody rip off is not going to make it any cheaper, it just make you look like a whiner.

9. ol-skool

ol-skool Member

Yay, just shy of 3 weeks till my card is due from umart. Theoretically being the first batch of preorders from them, all the other preorders that kept coming up continuously every few days even till now must be months off... Right... Fuck this shit, never preordering again. What a joke.

10. Inconceivable

Inconceivable New Member

What card did you get? I'm waiting on a Strix... seems like that might be a very long wait, or an expensive, slightly shorter wait.

11. @sia@home

@sia@home Member

I waited from the 8th of September until the 5th of November to receive my card.

12. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

Bloody hell. That's crazy!

I didn't need a specific version, other than 2 slots wide and less than 295mm long (for a specific case it's going in)... so ordered on release day and it arrived overnight the next morning. Which models are taking so long to come through?

13. Inconceivable

Inconceivable New Member

From what I can see, the people suffering from long waits are the ones buying the factory overclocked versions, or from the slightly more "premium" brands (Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte)... I know a couple of places I can go order a Zotac, Galax or PNY, it seems like the retailers aren't depleting their stock for these cards. To some extent the shortage of factory overclocked cards is a little understandable as the AIO manufacturers need to do their own sorting of the various GPUs. Which makes you think, if a vendor has a super overclock version of a card, doesn't that mean their stock version will almost certainly be using a GPU that they've tested and couldn't overclock? At least for the first few production runs as the chips are harder to get from nVidia.

Goose1981 likes this.
  14. Goose1981

Goose1981 Member

Probably a safe bet.

I don't do much (or any really nowadays) overlocking, just picked up a Gigabyte Windforce (i think? the box is high up on a shelf and i'm super comfy in my chair at the moment) Ti. Not sure if it OCs, i wouldn't expect much from it though if i tried given the delays in factory overclocked versions.

15. Radley

Radley Member

Not sure why this is considered a below average brand as their HoF cards are the best out there.

16. Inconceivable

Inconceivable New Member

Maybe they're great, but the brand has a long, long history of being middle-low end of the pack, which is probably why they're not flying off the shelves like hotcakes (why are people putting hotcakes on shelves?). And yet there's still people on waiting lists for Asus and EVGA cards. Really, if I was stuck on a desert island with one, I probably would not have a whinge about it.

17. IzzyBlues

IzzyBlues Member

18. AMD180

AMD180 Member

Inconceivable likes this.
  19. IzzyBlues

IzzyBlues Member

I figured that was the case. :(

20. Shags

Shags Member

Damn - I paid $2059 two weeks ago from the same store - that being said, i couldn't be happier with it, got 2,130 MHz so far - haven't tried for higher.