Nvidia collecting telemetry data through drivers without asking

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Linkin, May 28, 2017.

1. Linkin

Linkin Member

Heads up for those that may not be aware. Since 381.xx, installing nvidia graphics drivers even without geforce experience, also installs NvTelemetry services which are active at all times and constantly sending data back home. Not just stuff about your drivers, but what hardware you have, what programs you have installed and more (including google trackers)

There is no real opt out for this data gathering and you wouldn't have known about it unless you bothered to read the EULA (honestly, does ANYONE even waste their time reading them?) or take a look at your running services/processes/scheduled tasks frequently.

All the articles online detailing how to disable it are incomplete. At most they detail the following:

Nvidia Control Panel > Help > untick "Allow Experience Improvement Program"
    Stopping & Disabling the NvTelemetry service
    Using the Autoruns (by sysinternals) program to stop any related scheduled tasks

However, even all three of these don't stop it. If you open up msinfo32.exe and go to Software Environment > Loaded Modules > Nvidia Corporation, you will find NvTelemetryAPI64.dll (or 32 bit variant) sitting there. You can try deleting this from the various directories only to find that the file is in use by the nvidia driver executable, even if the telemetry service is stopped and disabled.

If you do a blanket search for "nvtelemetry" on your drives you'll find it's been leaving shit all over the place. There's even a .bat file placed into the root windows directory that appears to have something to do with recovering the telemetry services if they are damaged (presumably by people hacking away at it trying to stop it?)

To completely kill this you have to boot into safe mode, and remove all the nvtelemetry related files. I left the directories and locked them to read only (I've also had to do this with certain games that have persistent auto-running crap).

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  2. Recharge

Recharge Member

wtaf? woah, this is WAY out of line! FFS Nvidia!

3. Ck21

Ck21 Member

yeah i was wondering when they would take this to the next level, since they started doing telemetry through geforce experience, alot of people silently stopped using it and opted out.

i noticed it when i updated the drivers for mass effect, if the telemetry fails to connect and sync, it can crash the display driver, cheeky little wankers.

just another reason to buy AMD next round, hopefully vega can smash the 1070 and beat it on power, or even match it, and then ill switch asap, had enough of nvidias anti consumer crap (esp blocking the driver from loading if it detects a hypervisor).

4. Supersize

Supersize Member

Just delete the NVtelemetry folder from the extracted driver install.
    You can delete a lot of stuff and the drivers still work.

[​IMG]

My driver install, never had a problem only using the bare necessaries ;)

[​IMG]

5. danyell

danyell Member

@supersize that is excellent work mate

6. Ash_

Ash_ Member

You can also copy and paste this into notepad save it as a xxx.cmd file and run it in the folder you extracted the driver in of course delete the audio driver line if you use it, i don't so i get rid of it to
    rd /s /q Display.Optimus
    rd /s /q Display.NView
    rd /s /q Display.Update
    rd /s /q GFExperience
    rd /s /q GFExperience.NvStreamSrv
    rd /s /q GfExperienceService
    rd /s /q HDAudio
    rd /s /q LEDVisualizer
    rd /s /q Miracast.VirtualAudio
    rd /s /q MS.NET
    rd /s /q MSVCRT
    rd /s /q Network.Service
    rd /s /q NV3DVision
    rd /s /q NV3DVisionUSB.Driver
    rd /s /q NvCamera
    rd /s /q NvVAD
    rd /s /q ShadowPlay
    rd /s /q ShieldWirelessController
    rd /s /q Update.Core
    rd /s /q nodejs
    rd /s /q NvBackend
    rd /s /q NvContainer
    rd /s /q NvTelemetry
    rd /s /q NvvHCI

7. power

power Member

Microsoft opened the door, everyone else is walking through it.

great.

8. broccoli

broccoli Member

With the tacit approval of every user who has stood by over the last 30 years while they were doing it.

9. luke o

luke o Member

Bend over sir and let me insert the full length of this 1080 Ti into your rectum so we can better enhance your customer experience.

10. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

Butt can you imagine the resolution of the cable you'd be laying?! :eek:

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Seriously? You have removed all this without a single issue?

I just safe moded in yesterday and removed the telemetry director.

12. hotpants86

hotpants86 Member

I just did it as well and so far no issue.

13. NeonTiTan

NeonTiTan Member

Why is this so bad ?

If you want Nvidia to provide the best product in the market they need to know; what are the demands and what are the problems.

I see a lot of people scream when companies get these wrong. Perfect example. AMD. I have always been a fan of AMD but their lack of support and driver updates gives me the shit every time.

So i ask you guys again, why is this so bad ?

14. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Bad etiquette, breech of privacy and trust, that sort of thing

15. NeonTiTan

NeonTiTan Member

so you would rather purchase a shit product with good morals instead of a great product with bad morals.

16. chook

chook Member

I am not the product.

17. NeonTiTan

NeonTiTan Member

You're a consumer. They need to understand your needs to provide you with the ideal product.

18. broccoli

broccoli Member

If you want to understand something from a PERSON, you ask. The PERSON decides whether they want to have their "needs" "understood" or not and, if they do, they will respond to your request.

None of this intrusive bullshit is directed at what consumers need.

Hint: The primary need is not to be treated like an inanimate object.

Hint: when the product has ALREADY been provided, no further information about your "needs" is required to provide anything to you. You've already bought it.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Ok, good enough for me.....I'll do some tinkering tonight.

20. chook

chook Member

Once upon a time companies paid for market research. Now, thanks in many ways to Google, Facebook, et al, it is seen to be a given that we will happily and willingly just hand over all of our information so that they can use it to market back at us. Those that choose to give their data over accept this while others do not. The principle here is an informed choice. I have chosen not to use Facebook, Twitter, Webmail or any form of social media. That was my choice and I respect the choices of those that do engage with such activities. Nvidia can request that their customers (note the word customer, not product) allow such information to be collected and those that want to be part of the collection can be.

At the risk of invoking Godwin's Law, look up the famous poem by Martin Niemöller.