NVIDIA GeForce 600-Series 28nm (Kepler) | 690 680 670 660 650 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Nov 26, 2011.

1. n3wbi379

n3wbi379 Member

Do we really need 4g of ram????????????

2. Bertross

Bertross Member

alot of hardcore skyrim players will use it.

3. Luke212

Luke212 Member

if its sitting at 1940 you have already run out of ram. if your min fps didnt crash its because battlefield 3 keeps dirty textures - and the 1940 is not a real indicator of usage.

4. demowhc

demowhc Member

5. demowhc

demowhc Member

I could make use of more than 2GB thats for sure, 4GB is overkill to the extreme for me though.

6. scotteee

scotteee Member

Hey Luke,

Ahh ok, i do occasionally get a dip in FPS down to about 60-70 for no reason at all (not moving staring at same spot, hehe sniping;), then it'll jump back up to 150 or so, happens maybe twice in an hours gaming session.

Also is the 1940 on all 4 cards correct, so it doesnt actually lean on one card more like it does for GPU usage, it leans on all 4 cards equally when it comes to ram? you can see this in my thread of the read outs ive posted, the VRAM usuage runs in sync on all 4 cards?

So this is not a proper reading im seeing basically?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  7. Geno

Geno Member

You're right scotteee, the ram is mirrored over all cards.

8. Ogre

Ogre Member

Isn't BF3 a bad game to test vram with because it will use as much as it can, essentially making do with what its got.

9. Bertross

Bertross Member

Maybe $1300 by the looks of it! As good as people reckon the 7970 is nv im guessing dont care about it as the 680 basically sells as soon as it hits the shores or before lol. until we start seeing a good flow of 680s we wont see a drop in price yet. but amd have to drop to keep their high end sales up to compete. Unfortunately for amd the 680 reference out of the box smashes a 7970.

10. HeXa

HeXa Member

11. Bertross

Bertross Member

12. HeXa

HeXa Member

:D :thumbup:

13. Luke212

Luke212 Member

hopefully someone does some decent vram testing. it should be easy with a 2gb and 4gb. cmon reviewers!

14. scotteee

scotteee Member

I also tested Crysis 2, Amra 2, batman arkham city and one other so far in the thread, all seem to be using between 1700-1900.

Crysis 2 maxes out the vram on all 4 cards, it goes up and down but seems to hold around that level, which is really pretty close to the limit isnt it?

Are these readings to be taken with a pinch of salt, or am i really using all my vram on all 4 cards?

Crysis 2 High Res Pack + DX11 All maxed 2560x1600, Quad 680's

[​IMG]

Just for comparisons sake, TF2 2560x1600 old and easy to run game on Quad 680's

[​IMG]

15. demowhc

demowhc Member

Crysis 2 is much like BF3 in how it uses Vram and caches/streams/swaps.

16. Luke212

Luke212 Member

yes you are using it all. its doesnt mean you have to use it all though. its like your daughter leaving dirty clothes all over the floor. she will probably not wear the clothes, but she is too lazy to pick them up until she runs outta floor space. also remember windows 7 uses some of your ram as well so you dont really have 2048MB free when you start the game. many games will not get to 2GB even if they are lazy, because there is simply not enough clothes in their wardrobe to fill up the floorspace.

17. scotteee

scotteee Member

Just looking for the batman arkham city one i benchmarked demo, but that uses the same ammount of vram also, so are you saying 3 of the most popular games at the moment all have bad vram usage or just wrong readings?

18. Ogre

Ogre Member

It's a hard thing to test and you have to believe the numbers your getting are correct. Games are getting more dynamic in how they handle their resources.

Thanks for that. I guess that just adds to the question, are you acutally using that ~1.9GB of memory or is the game just tying it up?

I don't know if reviewers can answer that without input from developers.

19. Ogre

Ogre Member

Neither, I would say they are more dynamic. They query the card and then use as much of that resource as they can. It's what you want, if they hard coded for the lower common denominator thaey wouldn't use more that 512mb or 1gb depending how slow they are. So neither bad or wrong.

20. scotteee

scotteee Member

Hey Orge

That makes sense, but if true also adds fuel to the fire of how much vram is enough? what would be really interesting is ordering one of those phantom cards and seeing if it sucks it's 4gb of ram in the same games. (ponders will 4 x of them fit) lol

Another question i have which i have seen some forum members touch on, is in theory the game has 8gb of vram between all 4 cards but as i've read it does not work like this, so what exactly is the game using of the 4 x cards Vram, or as the screenshots shows, is it using all the vram on all 4 cards?