NVIDIA GeForce 900-Series (Maxwell) | 990 980 970 960 950 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Sep 4, 2014.

1. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Very nice. Which card did you use? I'm planning to switch cc to take advantage of international/conversion rate fees since I purchase a fair bit OS.

2. Supersize

Supersize Member

Ok mate they ran out of stock even though I had placed an order and rang twice to confim BEFORE driving 45 minutes.
    Turn up to CA and, oh sorry we have no stock, we just sold the last 2.

So I asked about the Strix, oh no we don't have them in stock, they are due next week.
    But the website says you do, and was politely told it was a mistake.

The girl there was more than helpful pushing the point I had an order, but what can you do if they have no stock.

So driving 45 minutes (each way) with the family lead me to no Gaming or Strix card, a pissed off wife and a reference Asus GTX980 (though they gave me a deal for the stuff around).
    My first time buying from them in 3 years, and very last time buying from them again.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  3. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Just my ANZ debit card. I don't think you eat any extra fees outside of what Amazon charges per currency conversion

Although, I really haven't looked all that carefully

I have a EVGA ACX SC. I shall report how it goes tomorrow. :)

4. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Was this this evening? Exact same thing happened to me... might pen a nice email to the manager! You got a deal? Wow you did better than I did... I got sweet FA!! Not even a $1:00 discount

Just wrote a nice little piece on their facebook site.. im not happy! The Asus GTX 980 STRIX version is still showing as IN STOCK.... so beware when ordering!!

And FFS the guy just had to see how much I have already spent there over the years.. I have myself and 4 boys that I buy PC upgrades for and have spent thousands there... im pissed<<<

5. Supersize

Supersize Member

Mate I was there a 6:30pm.
    I rang once before I left after submitting the order at 4:40pm and once on the road at 6pm, both times I was told they were in stock.
    I remember the guys name because its my name..lol..

Got the Asus for the same price as a MSI (had none of them when I asked either).

I actually left with nothing to start with, but talked to the wife (she agreed I could water cool it for my birthday in October), and went back in, the girl served me straight away even though there were others waiting.
    Couldn't fault her service, but the sales staff that kept saying they have the MSI Gaming cards in stock need to be spoken to.

edit:
    Posted under your comment too..
    Wife will kill me if I missed cancelling the PCCG order, guess if I did there will be a GTX980 for sale next week..lol

6. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

You must have walked in just after I walked out...I was in the car at 6:25

7. Supersize

Supersize Member

Was a LONG trip, 40 minutes turned into 1 1/2 hours, kids were cranky, wife was cranky, when I walked out with nothing wife was looking for the closest shape object :Paranoid:

But though its not the model I wanted, the reference card runs exactly the same frames as the GTX780ti Matrix, both are giving me the same results at stock speeds. (Just remember the matrix was factory overclocked so when I say stock, I mean factory stock.)

If the reference cooler was in 3 parts I would of stuck the NZXT G10 on the card, but its 1 part, so no vrm cooling if I did put it on.. :thumbdn:

8. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Please do.

:thumbup:

9. Supersize

Supersize Member

Ok so now I'm stuck with a reference card, got any tips for a first time water cooler.
    Putting it together is no problems, but what easier ordering separate parts or a kit

Would a Alphacool NexXxoS Cool Answer 360 LT/ST Kit and the GTX980 Block be ok, or would you go completely custom.

I have a Phantek Enthoo Primo case, so there's plenty of room to water cool.

10. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

A kit is a good way to start if your a noob, then full custom is the ultimate.

:thumbup:

11. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Draft your loop, several times. Prototype your build in paint. Check out the schematics for your different parts. Don't rush your shopping list.

12. Supersize

Supersize Member

For a noob grabbing a kit just to watercool the GPU does this look ok?

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=356158&action=wish_lists

Stupid question this, I have a seasonic 1200w modular power supply, now each of the GPU power cable come with 2 8 pin connecter on a single cable.
    Now that Maxwell uses less power would it be safe to use 1 cable instead of 2 cables.
    Seriously ALL the gpu power cables came with double heads, there isn't a single head cable in the kit.

[​IMG]

13. zehoo

zehoo Member

Finally got home from work, might have a play around with my 970's :D.

[​IMG]

14. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

15. Supersize

Supersize Member

16. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

It still has an ETA, either meaning a few people cancelled, they got more stock notice, or they're bullshitting ETAs like most other places

I'm hoping for the 1st or 2nd reason :tired:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  17. Supersize

Supersize Member

The wait is horrible, I thought I scored when I saw the MSI Gaming at CA,
    but alas I was screwed and am now stuck with the reference model.

Not to say its not a good card, I'm getting a 1250Mhz base clock overclock on it.
    It's just that you have to crank the loud reference cooler up to 70%, temps are about 75/76c

18. Aratahu

Aratahu Member

Just picked up my two 980 Superclocked ones from Scorptec.

EDIT: No SLI connectors included! Argh, ok, well, might just have to get that fancy one then.

19. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

What did you upgrade from and what's the difference like?

The wait IS killing me, but it's better then yesterday when absolutely nobody had an ETA on this specific card

20. Supersize

Supersize Member

I upgraded/side grade from a GTX780ti Matrix, that card is factory overclocked though.

I'm actually getting with stock GTX980 speeds the same as the GTX780ti Matrix, with a small 20mhz overclock on the GTX980 I'm getting a little higher.

With the 4GB's of vram, personally I noticed gives Watch_Dogs a boost and was able to max out the settings.