1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

NVIDIA GeForce 900-Series (Maxwell) | 990 980 970 960 950 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

Disappointing.

295x2 still a faster single-card option, and you can have 2 of those, comfortably thumping the 3xTitan option.

2. Chardiieee

Chardiieee Member

Ah but being a dual GPU card, I expect issues similar to the 6990 with frame time and lack of efficiency of crossfire. Yes I know its generations ahead but if youre looking at actually running 2 of these cards, its a gigantic waste of money (and power!) compared to 2 Titan X's which have a better chance of working together properly. Single cards are far more exciting to me since they lack that extra set of potential problems. I just cant trust dual-GPU cards anymore, even if they do come out over the best single GPU cards.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  3. Kumí

Kumí (Banned or Deleted)

ok... from reading the last few pages i concluded a new model is coming from nvidia. does that mean i should wait a few weeks before buying a new gpu ?

4. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Depends on your budget. How much are you looking to spend?

5. DUAL

DUAL Member

Well I picked up a 980kingpin lately and I'm getting 1566/8500 with 1.38v/1.7v, great memory overclocker but GPU is a bit disappointing. Waiting on water block as running custom bios with serious fan profile and with that voltage card gets to mid 70's and fans get really loud.

There's a couple of switches on back you can flick which give you 1.34v that should get you 1600core, from there use the classified voltage tool to go higher, get a custom bios though. See resources below;

http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2977

OCN also has classified owners club with plenty of info.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  6. Chardiieee

Chardiieee Member

Thanks for the info, helps to gauge how good my card might be, but I raelly wont know til I get a waterblock and manage to truly unleash the full powah!! :D

I found that by using Heaven to stress test, I couldnt actually raise my memory that high. I know a lot of other people say its extremely easy to push it crazy far but I havent been able to yet.

I use the OC mode switch but it only runs a tame OC until I get this waterblock off the sales forum soon.

Does anyone know if simply redoing the thermal paste on the stock ACX cooler would yield much of a temp drop?

Also I just gotta say that without the backplate on the 980 Classy, theres this super annoying LED in a random position on the top of the PCB which relates to the BIOS mode, and I need it to fuck right off. My brothers Galax GTX960 had a backplate, why not this one? :tired:

7. syzygy9

syzygy9 Member

Game voucher

Is anyone getting the game voucher (Witcher) with their recent 970/980 purchases? Available in the states (Amazon) but haven't seen it advertised anywhere locally.

8. Chardiieee

Chardiieee Member

Witcher 3? Wouldnt want it anyway. I heard from friends that its going to be a shitty console port locked at 30fps, so why bother tethering it with a 970/980 hahah

9. Tarkhein

Tarkhein Member

Last time I checked, they said they're targeting 30fps, not locking it to 30fps. Nothing some tweaking can't fix.

10. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

If 2 is anything to go by, maxing out settings on 980 might only push 30fps if you're lucky.

11. Ogre

Ogre Member

I believe they actually said that the recommended system requirements will be able to run the game at 30fps with drops on high settings

12. syzygy9

syzygy9 Member

So back the original question; has anyone actually seen these vouchers in Australia?

13. Ogre

Ogre Member

Nope, ring around and see if anyone has them

14. Dangerous1

Dangerous1 Member

You obviously don't know much about CD Projekt Red then. They always look after the PC players, they run a little site called GOG that caters for PC players and with no DRM on the games, they also have no history of having "shitty console ports" :confused:.

You might want to do a bit of your own research rather than spreading false information about a game because your friend says so ;).

30 fps is the framerate they are aiming at for the recommended system specs and it is definitely not locked at 30 fps as Ogre has stated above.

Here is a link with a quote from Michał Krzemiński, Senior Art Producer at CD Projekt Red:http://wccftech.com/witcher-3-wild-hunt-highend-pc-required-60fps-cd-projekt-red-ironing-ps4-issues/ (see second heading) he should know what he's talking about I would have thought.

So yeah, I'll be getting it on my PC and enjoying my 60+ fps with my 980's thanks very much :cool:.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  15. Luke212

Luke212 Member

where did you hear that rumor?

16. Chardiieee

Chardiieee Member

Like I said, heard from a friend, thanks for clarifying. I will inform this friend because now they can be mad at themselves for needing an upgrade just to play.

17. DNX

DNX Member

http://www.geforce.com/GetWitcher3

Not available in Australia.

18. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Didn't you know CD Project Red hate Australians? They were the first on GOG to use discriminatory prices, OS customers got The Witcher 2 for $50USD we had to pay $90USD and it's the same with The Witcher 3 except the title is big enough to warrant the $60 price of the bigger publishers, we're still being charged $90.

For all the good they've done I'm done with these practices, I'll only ever buy their games at super heavily discounted prices (ie steam or amazon Xmas sales).

19. syzygy9

syzygy9 Member

Thanks DNX, shame that everyone south of the equator seems to be missing out on this.

Currently waiting to replace an aging GTX 680, this may have helped tip the decision but I think I'll wait for the 380/390 and see how they stack up against the 970/980 cost and performance wise.

20. Ogre

Ogre Member

The AMD deal also wasn't officially available in Australia either.

If you look at the redemption page (LINK), Australia is listed.

Your best bet is call the store and find out if they have the coupons.