1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 3060 3050 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Spyder6052

Spyder6052 Member

wow..... so glad im about to ditch the air cooler on mine, its like an oven in my case when gaming and ambient here is always 30+

2. The Beast

The Beast Member

Water is always the right answer.

[​IMG]

micsway123 likes this.
  3. Sledge

Sledge Member

4. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

You had me worried for a second because my Gaming X Trio 3080 Ti uses the same cooler (looks that way anyway). But I looped the Bright Memory Infinite benchmark with max quality, RTX and resolution for 30 minutes and my Memory T-Junction maxed out at 86c.

So either my card is fortunate, or perhaps the one you were working on is faulty? Or maybe the coolers are different from 3080 to 3080Ti.

5. groovetek

groovetek Member

It wouldn't surprise me if there is tremendous variance from one card to the next, with the two crucial factors being:

A) Whether they added dabs of thermal paste between the plate and the heatsink above that particular row of chips

B) In conjunction with where the heatpipes curve up, this impacting how much of the plate makes contact

I've seen Asus, MSI and GB cards all seemingly have heatsinks with the same design manufactured slightly differently for apparently the same card, so there's variance in that side of things for sure.

For example, the location and font of the labelling and QR product code has changed on the Aorus 3080/90 coolers in between the time I got my original 3080 in 2020 vs later ones. The later ones also seem to no longer have the protruding bumps over the core on the bottom of the vapour chamber.

I previously had a couple of ROG Strix 1080 which had slight differences with the way the plates in the heatsink were locked in together, so yeah, I suppose there are minor improvements throughout the product's lifecycle.

Choice of thermal pads also change.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  6. Sledge

Sledge Member

7. The Beast

The Beast Member

$500 USD street price is crazy. Unless I'm reading this wrong, it's about 30% weaker than a 2080, which is about the same perf as a 1080 Ti, which is about $500 AUD ($350 USD) on the market right now.
    Now I know that's comparing second-hand vs new, but what if someone said to you "hey guy, please buy this brand new budget video card for 130% the price of one that is 5 years old and gets %70 of the performance"......... Wait, WHAT?

Even at the unicorn shit MSRP it's barely worth it. $250 USD (MSRP) is $350 AUD. You can get used 1080TIs for $500 AUD, and (again) unless I'm reading this wrong even a 1080TI has about 30% more performance - which makes the $ per frame rate about the same - except you can't and won't get the 3050 at MSRP (RRP).

tldr; buy a used 1080Ti or 2080 instead.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    SnooP-WiggleS likes this.
  8. Sledge

Sledge Member

Yeah that's why I said depending on price.
    Anything above MSRP wouldn't be worth it.

9. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Gamersnexus review points out they shipped review units with a an overclocked bios "by mistake", so out of the box what you buy will be slower. On the plus even the cheapest 6500xt is still on stock at pccg, so hopefully a sign that these won't fly out the door and have a chance at staying at msrp (albiet that's $330usd+ for the the oc 3050 models not even close to $250).

ndt and RnR like this.
  10. The Beast

The Beast Member

Agree.

This quote I just saw from JayzTwoCents I agree with entirely:

Sledge likes this.
  11. havabeer

havabeer Member

isn't the 2080 and 3050 only saving grace that it can do DLSS

12. micsway123

micsway123 Member

So here is what my cooling setup looks like, keeping in mind there is about a 7c difference from side panel on vs. off.

suspect the GPU has nowhere to dump the hot air it generates as the lower compartment creates a hot spot so even with the 14cm fan blowing air into it the heat has nowhere to go.

thinking my best solution might be to get a bigger case as this one was already quite limited in terms of GPU length with a maximum of 31cm in length supported. Open to any other suggestions on how to better optimise airflow here. Front fans work at about 50% while rear goes up to 60% under load with my current custom fan curve. Top fans hover around 50-70% depending on temps.

upload_2022-1-27_11-38-56.png

13. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Mesh front panel or are those little side grills the only avenue for front airflow? That might be the issue, but otherwise it looks set up quite well.

If you want unsolicited opinions for new case options I like the Corsair 4000d airflow. Still relatively compact for a midtower, nice lightly tinted side window, and optimised for free airflow with filters everywhere. Will take those 2x140mm's on the front panel too.

micsway123 likes this.
  14. micsway123

micsway123 Member

yea the define C had a suboptimal front panel with only those side grills for intake, that was fixed with the meshy C came out, I can take the front off but looks rather unattractive and from what I recall I did not see much difference in temps, might try again and see how that goes.

thanks for the recommendation on the case, will look into it!

jjjc_93 likes this.
  15. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Flip all your fans around and see what happens to temps. Yes, I know it may seem silly, but I suspect it will be lower even if it's not optimal

micsway123 likes this.
  16. sanjay

sanjay Member

where are you getting 1080Tis for $500 AUD?

17. micsway123

micsway123 Member

I am a little cautious to flip all of them as I'll then be dumping hot air from the CPU AIO into the case for the GPU however the front fans will then be pulling the hot gpu air out better I guess.

might use the insense trick jayz2cents showed to test for adequate positive air pressure

18. ndt

ndt Member

Yeah that's such a sleaze ball move in what's already become a sleazy industry. Like of all the cards they could have sent to all the pre-launch reviewers, it just happened they "accidentally" sent out a overclocked version? So now all the launch day reviews show off card performance that a lot of people won't get.

19. Sledge

Sledge Member

unless we flash OC bios onto the cards

t8y likes this.
  20. t8y

t8y Member

looks like the strix model has a higher power limit (165w versus the 130~150w limits on other cards) and it clocked a little higher too.
    switching to a vbios based off that could be good...

value wise, we'll see. if they're in the ballpark price range between the 6500xt and 6600 it could do quite well

edit: dunno about RRP but have checked; and yeah, thats the ballpark guys!
    don't ask, i can't say any more :lol: