1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx, Sep 1, 2020.

1. t8y

t8y Member

i have a 3080 amp holo - think the model above yours, similar cooler though - and its great. good clocker for a 2x8pin card, iirc stock BIOS on it had one of the higher power limits of the 2pin cards.
    can't recall max clocks but i have a mild power limit set, and +1200 on mem. runs cool, have not messed with cooling. might do thermal pads under backplate and heatsink at some point though, mems do get a little warm mining

mining gets ~99mh/s @ power limit of ~70%, overclocked +1333 mem

basically though, its still a situation of "if its in stock, buy it".. with v few exceptions.

edit: looks like the model you are after has different (lower, by about ~50w for max) power limits according to the BIOS collection.
    i'd still take the trinity over say a gigabyte eagle or other "budget 3080" edition though

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    AMD180 and jjjc_93 like this.
  2. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

If you buying a 3080.. any RTX at that price is reasonable value... no matter how ugly or crap the brand is... NB Zotac cards, generally have come poorer resale value..

If you are swappng an existing preorder.. (of a better card / brand) or a better price to this card.. I would seriously think twice..

3. Will S

Will S Member

I just installed the Gigabyte OC Waterforce WB10G...... arrived very late ( after 6.30pm) and my best-laid plans went out the window ( ie start in safe mode, remove drivers using DDU etc ) as I just removed the card before remembering.....oh well, a few snips of hoses required but no problems and it booted ok...fulled it back up and ran a benchmark

[​IMG]

and this was the benchmark I ran 2 hours ago...3d nearly twice as much

[​IMG]

4. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

The ftw3 hybrid cooler is just about the best $200 I have spent on my computer. Was heavily debating going a full loop but this is the next best thing for a fraction of the outlay.

My card doesn't have the strongest core around I don't think, the card also won't eat its full 450w allowance and tops out at brief blips of 420w. Still a thirsty ass card and crazy that this little aio can tame it when the aircooler was having enough of a time at 360-380w.

All out run: 19095 Graphics Score Timespy | Avg temp: 47c (Peak 51c) Avg clock: 2088mhz (peak 2130mhz) | 420w peak draw | Fans 80%

Daily: 18325 Graphics Score Timespy | Avg temp: 47c (Peak 53c) Avg clock: 1967mhz (peak 1980mhz) | 400w peak draw | Fans 50%

I will probably play around with the daily profile as I think there is plenty of room to milk it without having to ramp the fans. At 50% my computer is super quiet by my standards, I used to run these case fans at 60% just for airflow to the card when gaming so I have basically slowed my case fans down and deleted the gpu cooler. This setup beats my old TUF 3080 (and 6900xt) for thermals and noise by a large margin.

Trizae likes this.
  5. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

All those systems that have an aio on the CPU and air on the GPU... Bruh.

6. Will S

Will S Member

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  7. groovetek

groovetek Member

Haha what's wrong with this?

8. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

A 350w+ GPU benefits from it far more in a gaming machine, especially when you can ejecto seato that heat directly out of the case.

CPU cooling is far more universal and easier to get aios for though so I know why it works out that way.

While we're talking about it, it would be cool if shroud designs could start using 120mm fans instead of a mixmatch of 90mm and whatever other loud spinny things vendors want to use. It's not like the bigger 30 series cards are too small for them. How many people are still out there buying 90mm CPU coolers? (sff people aside)

Sankari and Trizae like this.
  9. Will S

Will S Member

I wanted to go full water cooling for a few reasons and one was I hated having those mammoth CPU coolers hanging of my motherboard. I like the look of my cpu block, mem and res all been red..or if the mood strikes me Green or whatever

And it was a case of me seeing if I could do it

and what I would like is for case manufacturers to leave a nice big gap above the motherboard..hell a case been 50 mm taller you wouldnt notice

10. Trizae

Trizae Member

Got this same cooler on my XC3Ultra best addition i've done whisper quiet and performs like a dream and that heat is ejecto-seato-cuz.gif

jjjc_93 likes this.
  11. The Beast

The Beast Member

TLDW:

- HWUB conducted a genuinely proper test with single (constant) GPU and proper input latency measuring tools (LDAT) across many (50 per test) samples.
    - DLSS and FSR do not introduce meaningful input latency, if anything by increasing framerate they reduce it vs native rendering resolution
    - Neither DLSS or FSR have any meaningful difference between them for input latency (1-2ms)
    - You will never be able to tell the difference in input latency between the two technologies.

12. Will S

Will S Member

hot, very hot memory readings after running stress FurMark

[​IMG]

not impressed

13. Trizae

Trizae Member

You should put those thermalright(?) strips on the memory helps immensely with temps

14. groovetek

groovetek Member

The stock pads on my Aorus Xtreme RTX 3080 (v1.0, bought last year) were plainly, a joke. Both in the quality and in its application from the factory.

Change those asap; also, make sure to clean all around on the PCBs, as after the oil has come out of the stock pads, the oil can make its way down to the PCIE slot. A couple months ago I was stumped at why I lost some performance; it was due to the oil interfering with the PCIE slot causing it to drop to not using all x16 lanes.

Trizae likes this.
  15. Will S

Will S Member

I don't really want to take it apart and it's still in the acceptable range .... and that was with stress testing but so far in gaming its around 66F max...still will keep that in mind

151528 likes this.
  16. groovetek

groovetek Member

Yeah, mine was really exacerbated by the fact that I mined on it 20+ hours a day (basically when I wasn't using it for gaming).

After the pad mods with Thermalright 12.8 w/mK, lapping the bumps on the vapor chamber base plate, and using high end thermal compound, etc. it's possible to get a high-end air cooled RTX 30 series to match watercooled imo. 450W power via 3x 8-pin power does help of course...

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-11700K Processor,Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z490M GAMING X (3dmark.com)

17. Trizae

Trizae Member

this man knows
    I hear you its actually a pretty substantial upgrade if you decide the stock stuff is pretty terrible as GDDR6X runs hot it will push better to oc'ing, I did mine when I did my EVGA Hybrid kit for the 3080 so benefits come back if better if you put a liquid solution too

It's an amazing mod especially when you know we live in Aus with our different weather

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  18. groovetek

groovetek Member

:leet: Flattering, thanks.

Some games stress the memory more than others - though it is true that no game seems to stress the memory as much as mining.

Just from pads, I could run an extra +150mhz on my daily OC profile on the memory. This will hardly do anything performance wise of course, maybe 1% at best depending on the game.

Trizae likes this.
  19. Trizae

Trizae Member

He f*cking gets it! It's so crazy how some people don't get that your memory temp if you can get it decent with the higher cards can lead to even greater performance when oc'ing (when mining of course) but gaming never pushes it that hard if ever, what games did you test that pushed it pretty high? have you tried the new world amazon open beta at the moment?

20. The Beast

The Beast Member

Q2 RTX will pull >450W from my 3080 and >500W from my 3090 when in 4K, but I don't recall the memory junction temps and can't find my logs (will have to try it again some day).
    Superposition 4K could get junction temps to ~82C.
    Outriders got my 3080 mem junction temps to ~86C when it was still on air.

I don't have a lot of HWINFO logs for a lot of games, but it would be interesting to collect some stats on which ones hammer the mem the most.

Trizae likes this.