NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx2000, Sep 1, 2020.

1. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

[​IMG]

BudgetPC reckons they'll have them by 2024 :lol:

2. atomicpnut

atomicpnut Member

I just started a tech youtube channel about a month ago and was happy to pay the slight premium for the view on the first week of launch as i know im going to run at a loss my first year or two, absolutely cancelling now after the poor customer experience from price gouging and lying about stock :O

3. chook

chook Member

Yeah, they can just say it was unexpected demand which, to be fair, that volume probably was. They will probably offer refunds.

You might find that they don't make a lot of interest because sometimes distributors ask for pre-payment to secure stock. It can also depend on their terms of trade with the distributor, presuming MMT. Again presuming they have a trade account and are not operating a cash account then it will have a limit on it. That means to place an order for 2000+ cards they will still have to pay up front or go over their account limit. As much as going over the limit doesn't sound like a big deal to us it will be to MMT because they lose their insurance on the account if they knowingly let it trade above the limit.

4. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

This is where I'm at. I have an order in and know where I'm at in the queue at a price I was happy to pay with the option to cancel anytime. Time to just ride the wave and enjoy what news and other launches bring now.

5. Elchupacabraj

Elchupacabraj Member

It would be reassuring if they would at least cease offering preorders, it looks like they're still live at the moment which seems irresponsible if they can't even give people who ordered within the first hour an ETA, at this point theh cant even provide and eta on an eta :lol:

6. jvalente

jvalente Member

Legitimately a naive question on my part.

Aren’t the manufacturers geared towards pushing out volume quickly? Why is everyone so pessimistic about 2000 items being shipped?

AS I started above I’m naive. I view this like building cars.

7. power

power Member

one word - yield.

8. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

They could have pushed the launch day till after they had more stock, but scarcity makes things appealing... just look at this thread from last night, even people who didn't previously care were having huge FOMO and clicking buy buy buy lol

jjjc_93 and 335 GT like this.
  9. spit051261

spit051261 Member

Those who wait will be rewarded ;)

10. RnR

RnR Member

3080 Launch Day: I broke my F5 and all I got was this tshirt.

Maybe with a paper airplanes being launched with F5's falling as rain...

chook and 335 GT like this.
  11. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

I'm just confused that PLE still have pre orders open... Why not close it, regroup. Get better estimated ETAs and open them up again? Bizarre.

12. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

13. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

You want a business to stop taking people's money? Their accountant must be jizzing dollar bills right now.

chook likes this.
  14. chook

chook Member

Ohhh, yeah!

Or just an F5 on the front. Then you can reuse it for all future launch events. Like that concert t-shirt your dad gave you that is from before you were born but you claim you were at that show.
    $50 bills at least after last night.

mesaoz likes this.
  15. The Beast

The Beast Member

Sure, but there are a LOT of things they could have done to make this a more consumer friendly experience. This was a digital sales event, there was no need for it to be this poor.

First, there was nothing stopping them putting their prices up in advance (other than not wanting to reveal their super marked up prices).
    All the US retail stores had their prices publicised in advance so consumers could make semi-informed decisions on relative value.
    Expecting people to try and make sensible purchasing decisions when they have 5 seconds to digest a price and add it to their cart is just predatory behaviour.

They should not be taking "orders" for products they don't have stock of, nor have any estimate for arrival. A lot of people added products to their cart and paid in full thinking they were buying in stock items. That is misleading at best and a violation of trading practices at worst.
    They should not put up pre-orders without some kind of measured intake. What PLE did is just plain stupid.
    They should have scaled their POS infrastructure so that at least people knew what the fuck was going on. The US sites didn't collapse at least (ok, BHVideo did for a bit). People knew by 10 minutes past that shit was sold out.
    They could have elected to not price gouge to the order of of 30-40% 'just because'. I guess we've become a little numb in Australia to PC components fluctuating wildly with supply and demand, but it's still a shitty practice.
    They should have bothered to send launch information emails to people who signed up, rather than just harvest their email and not bother.

Etc etc.

Either way, this just makes me feel even less guilty about giving a big FU to Aussie retailers and importing any time I can.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  16. Radley

Radley Member

Or they were the only people dumb enough to not cap orders. They're going to get hell for it in the next week.

Anyway moral of the story is don't bother with the 3090 launch (so I have a chance)

17. power

power Member

i think you are giving these guys too much credit, lol.

18. Voltus

Voltus Member

Im actually pissed at Umart... they had a good reputation.. and pulled a swifty - Iliterally had the item in my cart from last night at $1379.. went to checkout to preorder just before and the price went to $1499.. Lucky I didnt go thru with it i may not have looked.. anyway I wrote them an email:

Hello,

last night I had the 3080 Ventus in my cart, waited till today to actually pre order because your site was non responsive all night., but when I went to the checkout today with the same card in my cart the price went from $1379 to $1499 right as I went to pay? Like it almost caught me off guard.

I am wondering how the price went up $120 overnight.. I was going to order this card from you but now I don’t know if I can..

Umart always had the best prices I don’t understand why you would do this...

I can pre order this card from many E-tailers and it seems your prices are now the most expensive of everyone..

Please fix this obvious Price Gouge. From a 20 year long customer I truly think its is ruining your reputation.

No other stores increased prices overnight

I even thought the $1379 price was a bit rich when PLE was selling the same card for $1200.

regards,

Probably wont go to the right people.. but I like to try.,

19. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

3090 launch will be far less crazy, a lot less people are gonna line up to drop 2.5k++ on cards on a whim.

When are we taking bets on what the most expensive one will be? $3,100?

If 2080 yields are low the 3090 yields will be even lower though... so they may still disappear instantly.

20. chook

chook Member

This is where I think the trouble will start.

Again, a lot of presumption in here.

Let's say they have a $150K trade account with MMT who, to my knowledge, are the only EVGA distributor in AU. They have to now order more than $150K worth of GPU's and that is presuming they only use MMT for EVGA. That means they are going to have to either negotiate something with MMT or pay up front. Now, MMT won't invoice PLE until they ship the stock. I think it is probably safe to say that all of the many thousands of GPU's at once but this can potentially cause serious cash flow problems for PLE.