NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx2000, Sep 1, 2020.

1. DEMONDOCTOR

DEMONDOCTOR Member

I didn’t like the design of the back of the Strix 3090 at first... “Why is it showing me this crap? Cover your bits up!!” Now I guess it’ll make me happy to see it!
    ASUS MLCC Master Race! :lol:

Funny if you go to ASUS.com for the Strix 3090 in Gallery it has a pic with clearly 6 MLCC but on the main fancy page if you scroll down there’s a shot that looks like 6 POSCAPs..

2. liveordie

liveordie Member

As long as they meet spec which the EVGA cards do I don't care.

3. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

The Tuff has no cheap caps on it from what Igor and others have said so in theory it should be rock solid. It's also GPU boost causing crashes because it auto OCs them which for a consumer product is a fault and very easily a law suit just like the whole 3.5gb thing.

I'll definitely be waiting for user reviews and proper testing before even thinking about buying a 3070 now after this shit show.

4. Ck21

Ck21 Member

Do you really want to buy a card that just meets the absolute bare minimum spec to save money for the AIB?...

So glad i stuck with the 10k series, looks like ill be keeping my 1070 and the 2x ex-mining 1080ti's for a while yet, the 2k series was a overpriced joke, the 3k series is no better on price, but cheaping out on the power delivery scandal while maintaining the arm and leg pricing gtfo....

you NEVER cheap out on power delivery if you want something to last. It cant be said enough.

you wouldnt trust a 5k worth of parts on a $30 yumcha PSU, so why would you buy a big $$$ graphics card that cheaped out on power delivery? think about it folks, use your brain and vote with your wallet

coolroy likes this.
  5. wraith666

wraith666 Member

Man the armchair experts are out in force now. MLCC good POSCAP bad. All while completely ignoring the different qualities each posses.

ricmc, p3t0r, Skramit and 2 others like this.
  6. DEMONDOCTOR

DEMONDOCTOR Member

Guilty! :lol:

7. Sir Didymus

Sir Didymus Member

Is it possible the better caps is why the ASUS TUF has much lower load temps than any other card? More efficient?

8. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Not to mention the actual brand of the caps each AIB use in the first place, ceramic caps can be a bit iffy in general the smaller you go.

9. PiNoY

PiNoY Member

hey guys I can confirm the issues with the zotac card I picked up yesterday, standard out of the box the card runs perfectly fine!

but after playing around with the oc, I did get the crashing in games when the core hits 2010mhz or higher specifically when it’s not under heavy load like game menu etc.

If your an enthusiast and want to play around with settings and performance I don’t recommend cards like this or similar, the power limit only goes to 105% which is like 336watts so even if the capacitor wasn’t an issue it’s pretty boring and you’ll struggle to get it over 2ghz imo.

I read some base model gigabytes and msi cards don’t even let you adjust the power %

I’ve sold my card now as I’m more of a strix type enthusiast guess I’ll sit back down and wait... lol feel free to ask me any questions about the experience.

DEMONDOCTOR and metalrain like this.
  10. kot0005

kot0005 Member

11. metalrain

metalrain Member

Did you at least make a profit or cover the cost of the ASUS? :tongue:

12. liveordie

liveordie Member

Well its pretty clear even ASUS cheaped out at the start which is why these cards are delayed.

[​IMG]

13. coolroy

coolroy Member

Well this armchair expert prefers MLCC, want to know why?

Maybe it is because I have been involved with stripline technology & design & test since the early 1980"s.

I admit I have been out of the game these past couple of years but i feel confident that the little armchair expert knowledge I have would lead me to only purchase the RTX3080 designed boards using full MLCC...such as those boards currently verified as using them.

14. PiNoY

PiNoY Member

Haha put it this way, I didn’t lose any money and I had a lot of fun with the card yesterday and last night!!!

metalrain likes this.
  15. aokman

aokman Member

Calm down and wait for an official statement from MSI.

metalrain likes this.
  16. metalrain

metalrain Member

Ah fuck it. I'm going to wait it out until I receive my MSI Ventus 3X OC and see if it's worth keeping or returning. I was originally planning to keep it at stock anyway since I'm a mini-ITX idiot with limited space and dimensions.

17. heslo

heslo Member

I'm really happy with how EVGA has handled this and has given me the peace of mind that I picked the right card even though I have to wait a bit. I appreciate the transparency

sanjeevlives and Skramit like this.
  18. chook

chook Member

Yep. "I don't like the capacitors," is not valid grounds for an RMA. Most distributors hold back some stock for genuine faulty RMA issues but a change of mind RMA, not so much.
    Short version: An MLCC is a type of capacitor that provides "better" power to the GPU itself. In the pictures the are the little ones in clusters of ten. The larger black ones are called POSCAP's and are not as good.

The original article that was linked in this thread is available at https://www.igorslab.de/en/what-rea...tabilities-of-the-force-rtx-3080-andrtx-3090/

As for should you cancel, the answer to that, genuinely, is probably not. The issue seems to be when trying to get the GPU clock speed above 2GHz. At present there are no specified boost speeds above 1935MHz that I have seen. If you are planning on overclocking then you might want to consider your options however given you are asking questions about the capacitors I am thinking that isn't your bag. Not trying to be rude or insulting there at all, btw.

EVGA have since released a statement saying that all of the FTW3 cards that went to retail have 20 MLCC's (two groups of ten) and 5 POSCAP's so I think it would be safe to say that the FTW3 Ultra will have that, at least. Minimum specification is ten MLCC's (one group of ten) and four POSCAP's.

Kind of thinking the abbreviation POSCAP is slightly funny in a childish way now.

jvalente likes this.
  19. radeon_freak

radeon_freak Member

Makes me wonder if this is why the higher clocked 3080's Strix/Gigabyte Aorus were delayed at launch? Watching the Gigabyte reveal videos on the Aorus series suggests its possible since they said they were still tweaking the clocks. Perhaps they ran into or discovered the same issue when pushing the card just that little bit further?

PiNoY likes this.
  20. chook

chook Member

EVGA said that is why their FTW3 Ultra cards were delayed.