NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx2000, Sep 1, 2020.

1. DarkWorld

DarkWorld Member

I'm super annoyed about the way steve tested the 3090 nvlink. It needed to have been done on HEDT, a 16x/8x configuration will have been saturated, not to mention that the 10700k probably wasn't powerful enough. Even a 10900X would most likely have seen better results purely from the increased PCIe bandwidth.

2. chook

chook Member

Didn't watch that video because I am not that interested in SLI but would have expected it to be done on a Threadripper to remove all potential PCIe bottlenecks.

3. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Not all that surprising that this kind of thing happens really, when there are so many reviewers who are more interested in views and being first with something than knowing wtf they're talking about.

(also, seems a bit surreal to me to watch reviewers talking about the multiple 3080 cards they have sitting around, when nobody can actually buy the f#cking things)

Skramit likes this.
  4. Skramit

Skramit Member

In here or on reddit? On reddit people have all said the driver update has fixed it. Regardless of caps config. So that’s good. And as Steve points out benchmarks are the same.

Nvidia driver issue.

So have AIBs all gone and changed to MLCCs for nothing?? I’m confused.

5. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

I saw one reviewer (can't remember who) mention that the manufacturers got the drivers really late in the process - after the reviewers (which seems totally absurd if true) ... so they may have been scrambling too. Who knows.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  6. chook

chook Member

Combination depending on circumstances. As a few people here have said, a combination of capacitor types is best because they act in different ways. One type reacts faster and the other type holds a larger pool (I think). Some crashes are drivers, other crashes are capacitors but most seem to be drivers unless you fit into a specific box.

Skramit likes this.
  7. Goosegamer

Goosegamer Member

That was Jay who said it, reviewers got the driver before the AIBs and the AIBs only got the schematics for their boards on September 1st

8. Skramit

Skramit Member

One thing we now know fore sure, after the driver update, is that the caps issue was blown wayyyyy out of proportion.

AND more importantly anyone with a 6 SP Cap card, or a pre order, is fine and can relax.

trippinonprozac, ricmc and Goosegamer like this.
  9. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Yeah, that's right. That's so fucking stupid. No wonder shit goes wrong.

coolroy and Goosegamer like this.
  10. Goosegamer

Goosegamer Member

And thus! One hell of a rolling shit show!

coolroy and Gibbon like this.
  11. DarkWorld

DarkWorld Member

Yeah he didn't specify the motherboard but I'll have to assume it was done in a 8X8 configuration, which is an issue considering 8X is limiting a single 3090 already. I was expecting testing to have been done on a X299 CPU, maybe the 10980XE

12. chook

chook Member

There is no such thing as a bad advertisement.

The name Nvidia is what people remember, not the shitshow that resulted.

Goosegamer likes this.
  13. Goosegamer

Goosegamer Member

Funny thing is for me, this is my first major part launch I have been involved and I sure as hell won’t forget this shit show in a hurry lol

FuzwaldQO and coolroy like this.
  14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Right so unless some people come forward with issues after the driver update then I think we can say the issue is resolved. As from the videos we've seen these are complex issues and unless you're an engineer working with this hardware it's going to be pretty difficult to rule one thing out or another. At the end of the day if the driver update fixes the issue for overclockers then it's effectively resolved. Old mate in the video seems to think it's a driver / core clock issue, not hardware, but can't rule it out or a combo of all of these.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Dr Evil and coolroy like this.
  15. Skramit

Skramit Member

It’s been fun to discuss over the last week though! drama, omg!

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'd go with the term shitshow more like :D

17. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Watching debauer video you could change out the big caps to the set of mlcc caps in a relatively short space of time. presumably someone looked at the issue as they first found out about it and went to the electrical design guys who thought "let's try changing the cap layout" and figured that was at least a potential solution.

18. sanjeevlives

sanjeevlives Member

well i got the $1500 gigashyte off ebay so cancelled my pbtech and ple 3080 orders after their dec/nov updates

happy with the drivers sorting out the boosts and no noticeable loss of fps [according to jayz2c] and can get install that 9900k that ive had lying around too

trippinonprozac, coolroy and Skramit like this.
  19. heslo

heslo Member

Gotta have something to talk about because we can't talk about our cards... we don't have them yet! :lol::lol:

coolroy, chook, thecondor and 4 others like this.
  20. Bass

Bass Member

Over it, cancelled my no ETA PLE order. Ordered an advanced OC from Evatech.

coolroy, deevus and Elchupacabraj like this.