NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series | RTX 3090 3080 3070 | Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Sphinx2000, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Reedy

Reedy Member

So here's this afternoons project. Everything is back together and working nicely which was a relief!

I actually ran out of thermal pads because the memory modules actually need 2mm pads, which forced me to double up on the 1mm ones which I had bought and use twice as much as I had budgeted for. The EVGA FAQ says they always use 1mm pads, this was a lie.

GPU Thermals with some re-applied thermal compound on the die and primochill thermal pads are basically the same as before but my GPU2 temperature is reading quite a bit cooler now. Memory thermals slightly improved. I can see now why they use that shitty thermal putty on the VRM's tho, because they aren't all at a uniform height. This exmplains why I was reading some warmer than others previously, and it hasn't really changed. Especially since I didn't have enough thermal pads to fully cover the entire surface.

I ran out of thermal pads to do the backplate properly, the backplate needs like 3mm thermal pads if you choose to do it. It's a very big gap.

I have managed to squeeze an extra 25MHz out of the core in Timespy on ambient air cooling (up to +125MHz at +20mV from +100MHz). Port Royal seems far more tolerant of higher clock speeds so it can go a bit further.
    Memory performance remains unchanged, any more then +650 starts to hurt scores or crash, it looks like my card just doesn't have the greatest memory.

I am going away this weekend but will give the portable A/C another crack once I get back. For now I am just happy that my first attempt at pulling a video card apart has a happy ending.

IMG_1458.JPEG

For those thinking of doing the same, here is what I learned today,
    thermal pads.jpg

2. heslo

heslo Member

I did notice that as well when I read it; very sneaky little change

coolroy and Straferight like this.
  3. ominae

ominae Member

Wow, my order *was* 876xxx LOL only 6000 behind you. This was day after launch.

Straferight likes this.
  4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah saw that, waiting until the end of Nov for what might turn out to be just an ETA!?? That's fucked, I'd rather take my chances with stock coming up randomly on websites.

coolroy and Straferight like this.
  5. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

6. Reedy

Reedy Member

Yea I took the photo before thinning it out and ended up scraping a fair bit of it off before mounting the heatsink.

7. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Yeah was gonna say that looked like a good 1mm thick, looked like my stock Sapphire 290 paste :lol:.

Goosegamer likes this.
  8. ska'

ska' Member

I'm 881xxxx, I'll be lucky to get a card by mid next year at this rate...

Fucking annoying as I was banking on it for increasing the speed some of the rendering work I do for my business, grrr.

9. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Looks good.

Only question I have is did you consider using liquid metal?

10. Reedy

Reedy Member

I did consider it but didn't want to carry the risk of shorting stuff. I've never done this before so was playing it safe.

Also does anyone know how the metallurgy of liquid metal works over time? Does that shit eat your heatsink after a few years? Cause Gallium reacts with other metals in some weird ways.

macktheknife likes this.
  11. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is on sale on steam atm, $30 for the definitive edition. Good way to break these cards in. My custom curve was pretty stable in H:ZD and RE7 playthroughs, turning on RTX in SotTR has me crashing all over the joint. Plus the game looks a beaut.

[​IMG]

Cranking around 70fps average with everything cranked up (I think), wanted to take pictures more than I wanted to track frame rates :leet:

Straferight and jjjc_93 like this.
  12. pcgamer01

pcgamer01 Member

If this guy is fo real he is a legend.
    This is what everyone should be doing with there extras.
    Alot of us would have cards right now if they did.

A+ legend.

Id go #2 on this but don't have the extra 1500 for a 3090 lol

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  13. chook

chook Member

I don't have the technical details but the short answer regarding liquid metal is yes it wrecks things over time. I think der8auer and GN have done a bit of explanatory work on it.

14. pcgamer01

pcgamer01 Member

15. The Beast

The Beast Member

Not exactly a little change, unless ETAs are only provided a week out, which they don't seem to be.

[​IMG]

FuzwaldQO likes this.
  16. Evasive

Evasive Member

17. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I see this game a lot in reviews and it always looks pretty so I might need to pick it up. Do you notice the card pulling significantly more power with RT on in the game? Quake II RTX sucks the watts even with an undervolt.

18. Strix

Strix New Member

I have 3080 FE and 3090 Strix. There was no luck on 3090 FE so instead of 3090 FE I grab 3080 FE.

Strix was bought from Mwave last Friday and FE was from US

pcgamer01 likes this.
  19. Reedy

Reedy Member

Yea, no thanks then in that case!

20. The Beast

The Beast Member

What the crap is this guy on about? The 20GB 3080 and 16GB 3070 were nothing but rumour as far as I know.

He says they cancelled two GPUs that "were supposed to be out in December". Lol, such a nothing story. A 20GB 3080 made ZERO sense anyway, like none.

Skramit likes this.